(ROTE) ===[TASK]=== Han Dynasty Temple

Stan`

Good work so far!

I would suggest not having those windows stretch all the way to the ceiling though, it looks a bit funny. Personally I would like them to be a bit more simple, less is more sometimes I guess.

Mind putting a unit or another structure next to it for scale btw? Those trees kind of make it look small but I'm aware that they're quite big trees!

Sorry I do find it a little bit small. Guess I originally envisioned it as big grand hall like the todai-ji in japan but of course on a much smaller scale! How does it compare it to temples of other factions?

Sorry to be a pain!

Edited by Ayakashi

IMO it does look smaller than it should be but takes up about the right amount of space for a temple. Maybe you can give the impression of bigger scale without increasing the footprint too much by making it slightly taller and the roof just a bit bigger proportionally? Sorry my sketch don't really show it that well :P

Edited by Ayakashi

Why do we force the structures into this size pattern? What do we win if we change the historical size? If the Chinese built bigger temples, then it should be mirrored as it also is resembled that the Iberian had a bigger lighthouse or that the Romans designed other statues than the Greek.

What does it add to gameplay to have all civs look so similar?

Why do we force the structures into this size pattern? What do we win if we change the historical size? If the Chinese built bigger temples, then it should be mirrored as it also is resembled that the Iberian had a bigger lighthouse or that the Romans designed other statues than the Greek.

What does it add to gameplay to have all civs look so similar?

Buildings having roughly the same footprint between civs is also related with balance. You need free space in your territory to build them. Free space in your territory is not a main resource, but it's also an important "resource" to have. A civ with bigger buildings would have more trouble to build up fortresses, barracks etc in a narrow map than other civ with smaller buildings.

I agree with Ayakashi here, it looks rather small not only compared with other temples of other civs, but it also can be seen when the units are nearby: see http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18922&p=296093

An overall scale-up (10-20%) and increasing the size of its roof a tiny bit would do the trick imo.

• 2 months later...

Wow, didn't realize I let three months past by without commenting. I'd prefer to have fewer but stairs that are close to the 0 AD civilizations' than smaller but more numerous stairs. It's okay to be smaller than usual, but at the moment the stairs make the temple look disproportionately smaller than it really is.

Edited by SDM