AI difficulty levels

> I beat two AIs at medium level.

Yeah, that's fun when both choose you as enemy for their first attack.

I think most importantly one needs to master the economy. If you have 2 barracks training units in non-stop mode while the centre researches phase.town and keep that going, you'll win. The chart mod is helpful and shows which player trains units the fastest.

• Like 1

I think most importantly one needs to master the economy. If you have 2 barracks training units in non-stop mode while the centre researches phase.town and keep that going, you'll win. The chart mod is helpful and shows which player trains units the fastest.

Where I can find the chart mod? Where are a mod folder on play0ad.com? In Tools & Options > Mod Selection > I can't find any mods. It is possible to load current available mods directly in the game? Could mod creators upload mods to play0ad.com which can be downloaded in Tools & Options > Mod Selection ?

Edited by raymond

Where are a mod folder on play0ad.com? In Tools & Options > Mod Selection > I can't find any mods. It is possible to load current available mods directly in the game? Could mod creators upload mods to play0ad.com which can be downloaded in Tools & Options > Mod Selection ?

We may implement a way to automatically download mods from within the game in the future, but for now you have to download them yourself and put them in the mods folder. Please see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths for where to find the mods folder on your operating system.

Regarding the AI difficulty levels, I think that what is the most challenging for a beginner is to develop faster than the AI, or at least fast enough to survive the first attacks.

Thus, what about decreasing the rate at which the AI develops its economy (e.g. builds new units, builds new buildings, harvest...) to lower the difficulty of the first levels ?

Also, what about increasing the "grace period" before the AI first attack ?

These propositions have the advantage to keep all features of the game while making the game significantly easier.

That's already what is done in the AI levels: the economy development of the AI is mainly driven by the gathering rate, and it is reduced for the AI in easy levels (0.5 for sandbox and 0.66 for easy level). So as I said in comment 25, if there is a demand for it, we could add a very-easy level with the gathering rate of 0.5 (or even smaller).

Suggestion:

- sandbox: AI has a gathering rate factor of 0.33, does not trade/barter and does not attack

- very easy: AI has a gathering rate factor of 0.33, does not trade/barter and does not rush

- easy: AI has a gathering rate factor of 0.66, does not trade/barter and does not rush

- medium: AI has a gathering rate factor of 1

- hard: AI has a gathering rate factor of 1.33

- very hard: AI has a gathering rate factor of 1.66

- nightmare: AI has a gathering rate factor of 2

New and changed level in bold.

Edited by raymond

If you assume the AI uses the gathered resources to train units only, you could define difficulty the other way around in amount of barracks. E.g athen_infantry_spearman: It needs 50 food and 50 wood and trains in 10 seconds. So one CC + 4 barracks train 5 spearmen in 10 seconds or 300 in 10 minutes consuming 3000 food and 3000 wood. Does that qualify as nightmare?

• 2 weeks later...

I think most importantly one needs to master the economy. If you have 2 barracks training units in non-stop mode while the centre researches phase.town and keep that going, you'll win. The chart mod is helpful and shows which player trains units the fastesat.

are any intension to add chart mode to the main game? Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my ignorance as I'm very new to the game. Can you tell me how to achieve the easier settings? Do I need to install the changeset, and if so, how? Thanks!

The added easy level has been added to the code, but won't make it into the regular download version of the game until Alpha 18 comes out. In the mean time, players could access it if they play the development version of the game (which needs to be downloaded via SVN, and then compiled). The SVN route is not really recommended if you're not ready to deal with the technicalities, or would like to play games against other players online.

added in http://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/15990 . let me know if the difficulty is now adequate.

Please change the level of income to:

Sandbox: 0.33 (instead of 0.50)

Very easy: 0.33 (instead of 0.50)

...because the intervall of each level should increasing by 0.33 (0.33, 0.66, 1, 1.33, 1.66) and it should be VERY EASY. If it is to slow at the beginning, you can change the game speed instead.

Edited by raymond

Please change the level of income to:

Sandbox: 0.33 (instead of 0.50)

Very easy: 0.33 (instead of 0.50)

...because the intervall of each level should increasing by 0.33 (0.33, 0.66, 1, 1.33, 1.66) and it should be VERY EASY. If it is to slow at the beginning, you can change the game speed instead.

why should it be increasing regularly ? multiplying by 0.33 is dividing the rate by 3 which is a huge decrease, while multiplying by 1.66 is still a "reasonnable" increase. Futhermore, the patch has other ways to make the level easier (as decreasing the size of armies when attacking) which I think is the way to go instead of further reducing the gather rates.

But I would say that the minimum I was expecting when implementing this new level that you asked for would be that you test it and give argumented impressions about the difficulty instead of repeating the same sentence about regular intervals in trac and here.

• Like 2