(1000)===[TASK]===Viking Dock

Stan`

Judging by the size of the props, the houses' doors and the houses size in relation with the planks surface/overall surface, the structure in-game will look huge if you're going for units-props-house correct scale, or the houses are going to look tiny if you go for standard size dock structure. Unless the huge dock structure is intended of course.

Indeed, though I think for historical accuracy's sake we should not force all docks to be the same footprint (size). It makes the civilizations less distinct.

Imagine creating a British Commonwealth faction and addind Titanic. Now if we strictly forced the Titanic's footprint to fit the other ships of this class then we no longer had the Titanic.

Even more extreme for giant ships from WWII. If we have to force an equal footprint, then it's a historical distortion (character + appearance totally different).

At some point we should check if the 3D models fit its real world analogons. Best use real world engineering data as reference when modeling. (alongside with an existing building for scale synchronization)

Edited by Hephaestion

Docks size, and the main reason the buildings are not 100% real scale compared with the units, is gameplay.

Sometimes I've been struggling to find room for some buildings when playing narrow/closed maps already, therefore my suggestion about the size on this dock.

This do not mean that if the faction had historically a clear advantage in naval warfare it could be reflected in the dock size for example.

However, you just only have to imagine a unit next to a barrel in the screenshot of the first post to see how big that docks would be compared with the standard size used ingame.

It's just a suggestion that I thought it may be worth to point out ;)

I think we'd better indeed downsize the planks. Mostly they would row in a small boat to row to their ship that was further up in the fjord.

Still funny to see that you almost exaclty re-created the dock I had in mind, even without telling it to you. :D

Edited by niektb