Hephaestion is out: Harddisk broke.

Radagast.

It's horrible use to me, but today morning while working on the mod configurator and shortly after I logged on to the 0ad-dev IRC my system my hard disk gave up the ghost.

I first thought it'd be my display and tried to inform those on IRC about what happened without seeing anything. Then when I tried to save the mod configurator's changes (also without seeing anything but a black monitor), I slowly realised something weird had happened.

After the system restart command failed too, I almost expected it but didn't want to believe it.

Now that it's almost certain that I lost all my blender files I'll probably give up and continue with hardware + embedded systems open source projects.

As a last ressort I try to recover the harddisk from a Ubuntu Live USB I try to create currently and which will be finished in approx. 3..7h (download shows 3hours but who knows).

It's a pity the same happened to NoMolester some time ago. If I manage to recover at least some blender files + started work on capturing/transformation component + day/night + Hybrid AI then I might be back. I'm not important anyway and mods are too unofficial for people anyway (greetings to jagst3r) ...

• Like 1

Your existence already is enough. Hannibal + charts always lift my mood.

I feel there is a chance to recover the lost files. It's been my own fault as I had a read-only filesystem the day before and still didn't think of making a backup.

I have lost all electrical engineering + teacher database (3 year project of 2GB size) files too if I can't recover it. 80GB are gone but I still think it could be the boot sector only which got corrupted.

The download finishes in 53 minutes, then I'll have a Live Linux USB at hand for the rescue (no CD drive here). Luckily leper and sander pushed me to commit the Mod Configurator GUI just in time. Though the topological sort which Philip proposed is gone.

Also really hope is that Philip got shadows almost entirely to work without major glitches for all sun elevations, even showing shadows of hills and other objects that are behind the camera!!

And Yves finisehd the trigger review, I can't wait for triggers anymore.

Ah thats a shame i hope you still can recover your data maybe go to a PC shop and ask they mostly got software to recover most data I know since i own a PC-shop and i always say to my customers that they need to backup there work, a HDD will fail someday and thats why you need to make sure you never rely on 1 HDD. (So have it on a USB or Exs-HDD so you got copys of your work)

I hope you someday will come back to modding.

I first wanted to tackle my list, then I wanted to think about backups as I not yet have incremental back up setup. Though I see this may have been the wrong order now.

Luckily I already shifted heaps of art files to my windows system. Unfortunately nothing of my 0AD creations. I now will boot from my Live USB and hope Linux will safe me once again.

*s/safe/save/

I'd say I'm back. Thank you Linux.

I have to recover a bit from the shock now, then setup incremental backup system or again rely on Linux as saviour. Have lost another day but I'll get back into where I stopped hopefully, ah , now I remember was fixing the mod configurator crash when filtering generically and making the automatic reordering work.

Then more into JavaScript + commit the pharo, then the Assyrian XML, now I'm back .

• Like 1