[Rise of the East] - Bugs and Imbalances

niektb

On another note. I still have an issue with the footprint of the houses. I have brought this up before but the problem isn't the size of the actual houses but the way you get all this impassible/unbuilable spaces around them so that if you build a bunch of houses together you get these wide gaps that you can't move your units through. It would be nice if the 2 smaller variants be scaled up or modified (add extra bits maybe) to match with the 2 bigger ones and to cut down on the useless empty space.

Edited by Ayakashi

Fixed. What do you all think about giving the CC either more health or more garrison capacity.

Other bugs I will take care of:

Fortress Obstruction boundary

Infantry swordsman costs wood, not metal

(sorry for the triple post)

Here's the report from jhamlett, my brother (and avid 0 AD fan) whom I asked for an opinion.

Notes on Chinese Civlization in ROTE 0AD Mod

1. No champion units.

2. No blacksmith's shop--no military technologies

3. Infantry Swordsman uses wood, not metal--should use metal

4. Fortresses span out more than their obstruction boundaries--your enemy can walk right through them.

5. Archer on the top of the defense tower can get killed--realistic, but a pain.

6. Seige catapults are significantly smaller, more maneuverable but still take 5 pop cap

7. Seige catapults shoot bolts, not stones, so they should cost metal, not stone, like a bolt shooter in other civs.

8. Houses can't be built very close together

9. Ranged units seem to run away more than those of other civilizations. While a Roman skirmisher will stand and fight till he dies, a Chinese archer will run away and get killed in the process. Never before have I seen ranged units get chased all over the map.

In summary: As is, a Chinese civilization would be able to defend its own territory just fine. However the missing champion units and military technologies make a successful military campaign very difficult.
  • Like 2

Some balance things I’ve noticed.

Chinese buildings take 1.5x longer to build, but cost the same and don't give any adverse benefits? (i.e double the health or effect eg pop?)

Their units are darned turtles. suggest setting their speed in line with all other civs.

Ok, Civ center will get higher health, infantry swordsmen will cost metal and food, not wood and food.

house boundary has been fixed (anybody have any problems with it now?)

About the Fortress... Should the model be made smaller, or should the obstruction boundary be made larger?

Thanks for reporting Auron, that's probably because when the templates were made they used old values. BTW, are you sure they are not slow because you are using the balancing branch ?

Hahaha no i was going to report they were slow at first when i was using the balancing branch.

Nah i tried it on SVN, everything is still turtlish. All the walk times anyway. running times seems.. faster than everyone else?

Maybe I'm just being selfish but I'd rather just have the obstruction increased. (i was the one who requested for it to be increased to its current size)

If for gameplay reasons etc that it needs to shrink I understand. Just please not to the old boundry size cause it will look weird!

Well if this is playable I ´d say we go for it. Btw ayakashi some of the cavalry images were inacurate... Like that horse armor... Could you check out the units in the scenario editor and tell me which should have special armor props ? Also do you have a sketch for the blacksmith ?

• 4 months later...

Running the svn version r16053 getting some errors spamming when the mod first starts up about 94 of them all the same do not affect game play though.

ERROR: Parameter without value at pos 75 'Relive history through historical military campaigns. [NOT YET IMPLEMENTED]'ERROR: Invalid tag 'NOT' at 76 in 'Relive history through historical military campaigns. [NOT YET IMPLEMENTED]'

Getting a we bit ahead with full campaigns are we ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've just tried this mod. Nicely done :)

here are a few points I noticed:

JS error with China-Guilin map on A18 because not finding aegis: you should not have any AI on your maps, so using the default one.

China-Guilin map has some strange squares (seems to be water, but weird)

Having the possibility to select bridges and seeing them decaying is strange as they are here only for eyecandy purpose. You should either make them non-selectable as the other bridges in the game, or not decaying.

But I could not really play it, my FPS was too poor :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...