What Is Your Favorite Rts Game And Why?

Wijitmaker

I personally like AoK allot, mainly because it was the first RTS game I really got into. But since then I have learned to love others... I liked Red Alert 2 (especially the ranking of units), I like Rise of Nations with the easy econommy and borders idea. I like AoM with their graphics and gameplay.

What your thoughts?

What are your favorite RTS's and what is it that you like about them?

AoE 1 made me play RTS, the best game ever i would have said, but NO! Its not, it WAS the best game, like AoK, i love it, but its too old, bad grapics and other stuff. Times changes, i still play AoK, but i just got the Empires: Dawn of the Modern world MP demo, i would try it if i where you guys, it rulez! TRY IT!

Why? Fantastic grapix, lovely sound, cool stuff like Engeneers can place Mines and other stuff. Many tactics! Well, its olso really good gameplay! Not much of Why, but something. I mean this, TRY IT!!!! (If you got ADSL or better...) 280mb!

Why?

Well I first played AoE, like for most people it introduced me to the RTS genre, and in those days the game really blew me away (I was coming from Wolf 3D and Commander Keen ;)).

AoK, ehm, mainly because of the editor. I never played starcraft, so it was the first game to introduce triggers to me. Secondly because of the historical aspect, and thirdly, well it was almost a perfect game, everything went smooth, everything was easy to understand (no cluttered GUI like with EE or many other RTS's).

AoM pretty much for the diversity of the civs. In AoK the civs were basicly just the same, except for unique units, some graphics and some technologies (and the unit/tech tree). AoM added god powers, unique myth units, unique units for each civ (well the 3 main ones), and most importantly, each civ works different. The hero system is different, resource gathering methods, etc. Well, maybe it's a bit of a rip off from warcraft, but it makes the game a lot more diverse.

So, Jason, since you're collecting some idea for 0ad to make it a great game I'll summarize it ;)

- bring something new/original that will blow people's socks off (yep I know it's hard)

- make it easy to understand (so people will know the basics after a few mins)

- make it diverse

Of course that's not the recipe to the ultimate RTS, but I hope it helps (well, I'm just repeating what many have said I guess).

• 2 weeks later...

AOE and AOK definately rank up at the top just for bringing me to the RTS genre. I never played AOM much, and I found that EE sucked after about a month (Too complicated, boxy graphics, lack of atmosphere, crap editor, highly unintuitive). I'm not financially strong enough to make purchases nowadays (I spend more cash on music CDs. Incidentally, does anyone here like NOFX?).

I always liked Impressions' city builders. Caesar 3 was pretty good, and Pharaoh got me totally hooked for days on end. I never played Zeus. And Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom must be one of the most awesome games ever. Until it starts getting repetitive anyway, and you can always go multiplayer after that.

I got the demo for aoe waay back over at a friend's house. Played it for a few mins, got bored of it and quit. Then we did some other stuff and...

Anyways, I got the demo again a few months later and got hooked. I even found out you could play on the net ;) So I did that for a while, until I found out aok would come out. Got that the day it came out and played it like mad...seriously. 3+ hours a day, 7 days a week. And I never really got bored of it :P

Anyways, played it for a while again, got to inter or good player and then left for a few months. Came back, played it a bit more and then got aom. Aom is the only game I felt was intuitive enough to actually just pick up and play from the get-go. So I did that, to somewhere around 1800 and then quit that too :P

Short summary:

1 aoe: I got no idea why I liked it, but it just got me hooked. I don't even have the demo anymore, but it was a good game (which I believe anyone can here can say as well)

2. Aok. There has never been a game that's as fun to play at a rook level all the way up to expert level that I've played. When you're a rook, huge paladin armies just blew your mind away. At higher levels there's just so many ways to perfect your play. The dedication needed was a major turnoff for a lot of people though I believe. You can't really expect people to pick up a game and realize that 60% of your units should be vils...

3. Aom: Very intuitive with the GUI, idle vil/military tabs and such. As I said, you could pick it up and learn to play very quickly, but then it got boring due to low pop and the lame strats that developed (I guess I'm not the only one who thinks fighting with monkies is lame :P). If it had been better balanced regarding set and cav (and possibly a bit higher pop, but that wouldn't have been really necessary with the other changes) I wouldn't be sitting here typing this, I would be playing!

I guess I should also mention that the zone played a major part in the success of aok, as it was almost the reason the fanbase developed. ESO proved to be a setback in that respect (though I hear it's been vastly improved...anyone care to comment on that?).

Now that I think about it, that wasn't really a summary at all :P OTOH I know there are other parts I could add to that, but that I can't think of right now....I might add some more later if I come up with something to write ;)

I got started in the RTS genre with Command and Conquer:Red Alert and its 2 Xpacks. I then graduatd to Starcraft for a while, but went back to Red Alert within months. I've played every Ensemble Studio game since the release of AOE in 1997. For polish, depth, and quality, nothing beats Age of Mythology. For innovation, nothing beats Rise of Nations.

I love RON with its territory system. I love AOM for the graphics, historical, and mythological aspect. I always thought if the two were combined somehow, it'd make for the perfect game.

AoK is the first "complex" game i had ever played (before AoK it was always racing games and flight sims, I didnt know much about games back then), the first time i tried the game was when me and my brother got a free demo CD when we bought sim cards for our mobile phones(somtime in febuary 2000). Straight away I was amazed at the game, every time we advanced to a new age to see the units i was like "WOW, oh god that looks so cool, even the buildings change! Oh what? You can buid castles now? cool!"

Not only was the game fun, but it captured my imagination. It took my intrest in history and quadrupled it. No other game has ever done that to me. I guess thats why i think it as my favorite

but when i tried it on multiplayer(a year later), i fast learned that not many people thought of the game in the same way as me, it was all about winning and going 100 miles per hour. I hated that...I liked it when i played the campaign of william wallice:)...it was my fav campaign(yes yes, even though it was a tutorial, i just loved the way the narrator talked:) )

hehe, my mum used to have dreams of this medieval chinese city with this large beutiful building(a wonder) because she saw me play:P

Nowadays, games have become shallow imo, its all about the graphics and new features that dont really give you any special "advantage". Games Nowadays just dont capture that special somthing (i dont even know that that special somthing is, but it is there:P) that makes a good game great.

hitman2 imo had that special somthing, it made me feel the same way as it did with AoK and AoE(i got AoE after i got AoK, just to see what it was like...i loved it too). AoM i also like, but unfortunatly it didnt give me that feeling...the game just reminds me of a far too pushy multiplayer game...;)

thats my "life" story:) (sorry for it being so long:P)