Fighting techniques references

On 5/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, LordGood said:

I made a few offensive shield animations for the swordsmen, are they not in rotation?

You mean the one in there? I have never seen it in the game.

Grepped a bit and found this, may be unrelated, because I'm just guessing sword_shieldarm_attack contains the shield bash animation:

grep -r sword_shieldarm_attack  . --color
./art/variants/biped/attack_melee_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_a.dae" name="attack_melee" speed="120"/>
./art/variants/biped/attack_melee_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_b.dae" name="attack_melee" speed="100"/>
./art/variants/biped/attack_melee_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_c.dae" name="attack_melee" speed="80"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_a.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack1" speed="120"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_b.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack2" speed="100"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_c.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack3" speed="80"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_a.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack1" speed="120"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_b.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack2" speed="100"/>
./art/variants/biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml:    <animation event="0.5" file="biped/new/sword_shieldarm_attack_c.dae" name="attack_melee" id="attack3" speed="80"/>
grep -r base_swordsman_shieldarm  . --color
./art/actors/units/hellenes/infantry_swordsman_c_thespian.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml">
./art/actors/units/athenians/hero_infantry_swordsman_themistocles.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml">
./art/actors/units/athenians/infantry_swordsman_c.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml">
./art/actors/units/macedonians/hero_infantry_swordsman_demetrius.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml">
./art/actors/units/macedonians/hero_infantry_swordsman_craterus.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm.xml">
./art/actors/units/spartans/hero_infantry_swordsman_brasidas.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml">
./art/actors/units/spartans/infantry_swordsman_c.xml:    <variant file="biped/base_swordsman_shieldarm_fast.xml"/>

Grepping for attack_melee_swordsman_shieldarm found nothing.

Also tested Brasidas and Craterus, neither of them did the bash.

About the death animation shown, at least roman swordsmen don't use them, they always die in the exact same way, and the animation doesn't match any of what is shown in the thread.

Also @borg-, there end of that thread may be worth looking at.

Edited by theotherhiveking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

ah well, Enrique may have taken them out, he heavily edited the slinger animation too to fit in with the increasingly quickened attack speeds, something I feel needs to be changed sooner rather than later

I checked Enrique's and your commits from late 2016 to mid 2017. Enrique committed an huge amount of files on Jan 1, 2017, but I didn't see anything that could be those attack or death animations in the file list. I also saw the slinger animation change commit, but that one didn't change or delete any other files iirc. Can't check properly because I'm on my phone right now.

I think they never made it into svn. Jan 1 commit was huge and maybe he didn't notice.

About the quickened animations, when I started playing, those animations/speeds stuck out like a sore thumb to me, like they were meant for a different game, so I'm going to agree with you there.

Looked again:

Found the animations' master commit: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/18970 - all those animations are in there.

A month later Enrique commited this: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/19061 - I believe most of those those animations come from this file: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/art_source/trunk/art/meshes and animations/skeletal/animations_and_meshes_mainfile.blend

Animations_and_meshes_mainfile.blend doesn't include LordGood's animations.

So, I think people just kinda forgot to actually include them in the game.

Edited by theotherhiveking
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...