Testudo Bug

borg_

Some people may already know, is in trouble.
If the enemy is using testudo, it is impossible for their scouts and archers attack enemy units.
Have some players who know they are abusing and winning your matches. Do not do it, play your games with respect to the opponent.

Sorry my english.

Edited by borg_
  • Like 2

Can anyone confirm this? I've tested the hell out of testudo and i for one can target, and kill, testudo formations with ranged units. I've tried reproducing the situations we were in (as close as possible) and still can't get this supposed bug to reproduce.

I'm also yet to hear anyone but borg_ say anything about this, and he keeps saying it as it's some sort of "known by everyone" bug and exploit.

If it's important: He killed 10 (of 30) of my testudo'd troops WITH scouts and skirmishers right up until i killed his civ centre, then he started claiming he was unable to target my testudo and quit. it could be something to do with me chasing him and when he turned to fire, i got too close and skirmish kicked in?

Edited by auron2401

It's a bug, but they don't deal extra damage, they just deal it earlier.

To let the formation stay in formation while fighting, all units give damage to the enemy unit that's next to the formation. So also units in the back of the formation deal damage to it, though they technically can't reach it. This is intended behaviour.

The problem is, when a formation attacks a single unit, it still has "attack power" left. Some units didn't do the attack, because the target was already dead. So it's coded they search a different target in that case. But for the new target, they should check the range, and that's forgotten.

As a result, the if the formation reaches one target, it can kill all nearby targets until the attack power of that formation is up. After that attack, the formation does split again, and everything works as it should. So some 3 to 5 units will be killed too early, giving the testudo a big power.

Phalanx apparently also have this bug. I just played in utter disbelief as 30 phalanx units (I was monstrously ahead of my opponent) just destroyed everything I had. hehe

I have the VOD if you want to see it in action, though it would annoy me to upload it. Basically, ranged units can't attack phalanx, they just run in and die when they get in close range. These things have 12 hack attack btw.

I had phalanx attack my CC and all the villagers that were around it, repairing it, were killed at range. The same thing happened to my skirmishers, they died at range. The military camps I had built were destroyed in 5 seconds, my CC in 10 seconds.

Should I upload the VOD? It would take hours to do so but I have everything on tape.

Fix please. :P

This bug doesn't just happen with Testudo and Phalanx, it happens with wedge and syntagma.

If you put melee cavalry in a wedge and tell it to attack a civic or some building, then get some skirmishers to attack the melee cavalry, then this bug appears