What computer do you recommend to play 0 ad?

Trinketos

There is no Best computer. I can play the game on high with an I5-3210 HD8750M 8GB RAM. 40FPS average. But If I get on my desktop computer I73770 HD7950 8GB RAM I get 150FPS. Doesn't make a big difference, If you ignore the fact I'm playing on 3 screen.

Build your own PC. cheapest way to get all the best parts.

OS: Windows 7 64bit Ulitimate / Processor: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Eight-Core 4.00Ghz
Motherboard: GA-990FXA-UD5 / Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz / GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB

^This is my system and it runs all games great but i dont know how mutch money you have to build a pc.

It really depends on your budget which parts are best for you. But for 0 A.D. the CPU/Processor is the most important part.

Roughly the build I would recommend with relatively 'cheap' parts:

i5, 6-8GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti or something similar.

This is more than enough for 0 A.D. and it enables you to run other games easy enough. I chose NVidia because you use blender quite frequently.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

which would be the best computer to play the game with all graphics on high

I would recommend doing a lot of research before you decide what to get. The more knowledge you have will not only help you to make a better decision but can also save you money.

Edited by AceWild

Thank you all.
I've been saving money to buy a new computer because the one I have is from 2005 and is a laptop.
I must investigate further afond on what type of computers are in my country

Where are you from?

It's better to build desktops yourself.

Here's a tip from someone who is currently using his own custom-built-from-scratch rig :). Use a Gigabyte board (very durable and affordable), an AMD CPU (I have an FX-4300 Black Edition) (it seems to run faster on here than on an i5 or i7), and an NVIDIA graphics card. Preferably, you should use more memory than less (after upgrading my memory the game ran faster with less lag).

• Like 1

Getting computer parts depends on your budget and what you're going to do with the computer.

Nvidia vs AMD, AMD vs Intel, memory to get, everything actually depends.

0 A.D. doesn't strike me as a well-threaded game (given that I get this: http://i.imgur.com/jPWqnAs.png when I play a 2v2 with 3 AI), so I don't see how an AMD CPU would do better than intel, to be perfectly frank. It depends on clock speed and architecture as well. An FX 4300 today with a good overclock (gigabyte's boards indeed have the reputation to be good overclocking boards for their money) might give a slow i5 at stock speeds a run of its money, especially if the i5 is of older architecture.

AMD is better bang for buck, Nvidia has some very good features though that make paying just a bit more worth it (shadowplay, g-sync, CPU-friendly drivers atm). Well, it's all that sort of thing. You can't prefer any brand blindly, it's important to do the actual research.

The game is not multithreaded yet. Therefore a pentium 4 running at 4ghz would be faster than a i5 running at 2.5ghz. There is also a good explanation here of the difference between intels and amd processors http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1c7yc9/eli5_why_are_amds_ghz_considered_slower_than/

For AMD VS NVIDIA, it won't matter in the game. NVIDIA has physX If you don't know what that is look at the video below.

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5ZFRLpz5mYk&ei=uc2FU_H7LcbiO6CIgaAK&usg=AFQjCNE1UAjmwVM2z13PVSKkT68n-rXzQQ&sig2=CUOpEgZYcrH1DYgA_joGnA

If you want to get deeper in the question :

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

About RAM, Having more than 12GB is useless for now, and that only will make the game load a little faster.

You can consider to get yourself a SSD and your OS will boot faster (30s vs 1-2s)

Edited by stanislas69

The game is not multithreaded yet. Therefore a pentium 4 running at 4ghz would be faster than a i5 running at 2.5ghz. There is also a good explanation here of the difference between intels and amd processors http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1c7yc9/eli5_why_are_amds_ghz_considered_slower_than/

For AMD VS NVIDIA, it won't matter in the game.

Not entirely true, and i5 has a higher single threading performance (higher performance per clock tick) and there aren't any pentium clocked at 4GHz. Besides: one day it will be multi threaded and an i5 knocks out every pentium in the world in multithreading.

For the graphics card AMD or NVidia doesn't make any difference in 0 A.D. PhysX isn't supported by 0 A.D. but since you (Trinketos) use Blender I recommend NVidia because Blender supports CUDA.

Not entirely true, and i5 has a higher single threading performance (higher performance per clock tick) and there aren't any pentium clocked at 4GHz. Besides: one day it will be multi threaded and an i5 knocks out every pentium in the world in multithreading.

Yup. But for now higher frequency the better :)

For the graphics card AMD or NVidia doesn't make any difference in 0 A.D. PhysX isn't supported by 0 A.D. but since you (Trinketos) use Blender I recommend NVidia because Blender supports CUDA.

It doesn't support OPENCL ?

It doesn't support OPENCL ?

"Cycles has two GPU rendering modes: through CUDA, which is the preferred method for NVidia graphics cards; and OpenCL, which is intended to support rendering on AMD/ATI graphics cards. The implementation of OpenCL is only in an experimental stage and disabled in official builds."

Not for the cycles render. And then there are other programs which are cycles only (e.g. Octane render) also it gives often a performance boost. (In comparison with AMD) And in the case openCl is faster: NVidia supports OpenCL too.

If a program that you use often supports CUDA then NVidia is definitely the way to go.

Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

As thamlett suggested, an AMD chip on either a Sapphire board (Sapphire being my personal favourite) or gigabyte.

Rule of thumb with an AMD is to use an AMD GPU as well. Nvidia seems to be sluggish on AMD systems from personal experience. So its birds of a feather flock together in this regard.

Then you inevitably can go the Pentium 4 rout as Stan mentioned, but I don't see the logic in that, it will be for 0 A.D. and will not handle other games should you wish to play them. So AMD...

Try to avoid the bulldozer chips, and get a Phenom black edition. The bulldozers tend to lag running various GPUs, although there's probably an explanation for it, there isn't much difference than an Phenom.

And why you should get an AMD, is because intel is @#$%, out of most budgets, and quality sucks :)

NVidia works perfect with AMD CPU's from my personal experience. (3 different NVidia GPU's with 2 different AMD CPU's and never had any problems with it).

Phenom Black Edition was a gem in it's time (I have one right now in my rig, unfortunately it has trouble with running the game smoothly. (Though it is only a quadcore @2.2GHz, while there are Phenoms that are 6-core @3.6GHz) but is now a few years old (2008 ~ 2009). If you can get a 6-core (like AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition) second hand cheaply then you might give it a try. But I'd rather go with something newer. (These Penoms aren't sold for new anyway, at least not in my country)

Edited by niektb

I can confirm that the Phenom series is out of life. You'll find an X6 on ebay.

Evan though the Phenom are a 2009 era chip, they are still more than capable of lasting a good number of years from now.

I've owned a Phenom and it really is one of the seven wonders :)

As for the overclocking, yes I can get up to 4.9 GHz (and I have liquid cooling too).

I agree about the SSD also - I have one and I am always the first one loaded whenever I play vs somebody else.

I don't go with brands blindly - I look at specs and features. Physx and Eyefinity are really in a tight race in my mind.

One question, Is it possible to buy a computer and change the parts?

Normally Yes (unless you got some kind of HTPC/Intel NUC). But you should be really careful with that. You should for example check whether the power supply unit is powerful enough (and with most pre-built systems the PSU is only just enough to supply the initial build) and when changing the processor you should check whether it fits with the main board (=motherboard). These and other things you should be aware of when upgrading.

But of course it is possible to replace the motherboard and the PSU also.

Indeed. If you can afford yourselves an SSD you should definitely buy one.

Edited by niektb

One question, Is it possible to buy a computer and change the parts?

Well if you buyed a PC by us and we build it for you we put a warranty sticker on it and if you break your warranty sticker because you build in a SSD then you lost your warranty (And that is with most shops) So its better to buy your parts and build it yourself. And thats also how it works with Acer, Intel, and all the other companies + some companies like HP/DELL you cant always use different components.

But after 2/3 years your warranty is over and you can chance what you want.

• Like 1

Normally Yes (unless you got some kind of HTPC/Intel NUC). But you should be really careful with that. You should for example check whether the power supply unit is powerful enough (and with most pre-built systems the PSU is only just enough to supply the initial build) and when changing the processor you should check whether it fits with the main board (=motherboard). These and other things you should be aware of when upgrading.

But of course it is possible to replace the motherboard and the PSU also.

Indeed. If you can afford yourselves an SSD you should definitely buy one.

Well if you buyed a PC by us and we build it for you we put a warranty sticker on it and if you break your warranty sticker because you build in a SSD then you lost your warranty (And that is with most shops) So its better to buy your parts and build it yourself. And thats also how it works with Acer, Intel, and all the other companies + some companies like HP/DELL you cant always use different components.

But after 2/3 years your warranty is over and you can chance what you want.

thanks