New Release: 0 A.D. Alpha 16 Patañjali

Jeru

Nope, our lead programmer has left us due to his job. :-( (curses for this job which brought us into that dilemma)

Wasn't it in talk to adopt the AoK empire earth short range pathfinder? Philip (Ykkrosh, our lead developer) has once outlined an algorithm in the forum topic linked in the ticket you posted.

Would it be difficult to adopt such a pathfinder? Reading that report about Terrain Analysis from the ex-ES employee made me think that AoK pathfinding is quite decent.

I'm going to continue the pathfinding discussion in the pathfinding thread though

The two pathfinders solution is also a drawback though. The long range pathfinder has to be faster, as it needs to calculate long paths (possibly to the other side of the map). So it's tile based, with quite big tiles. Every tile is marked as passable or not-passable. And it finds it way like that. But that also means the pathfinder doesn't take the obstruction size of the unit it wants to move into account. So sometimes, a tile is marked as passable, but a unit (like a siege ram or ship) can't get there because it's too big.

Don't you use a different grid for siege units ? (Sorry I'm not a coder, I'm just trying to understand the problem.)

Also, do you plan to do something for the problem of two units being stuck as they synchronise when they try to bypass each other ?

It should also be made in a way that units "communicate". I.e. friendly units should let each other pass by going out of the way. As such, the short range pathfinder shouldn't get stuck again.

I hope this won't make it more difficult to align troops in order to make beautiful screenshots :P

Also, do you plan to do something for the problem of two units being stuck as they synchronise when they try to bypass each other ?

definitely. ideally only one should try to go around the other to avoid conflict. the other could step back a bit though.

I hope this won't make it more difficult to align troops in order to make beautiful screenshots :P

Would be interesting to have stand ground to prevent units getting out of the way if another unit approaches or collides (the latter being less problematic then the prior I guess).

Hey guys, just wanted to say a big THANK YOU!!!

I hadn't check it for 2-3 releashes and it's going very well! It plays much better now in my crappy laptop, especially with a small map, which is great because I can finally finish a game (I'm going to buy a new pc next month, hehe...). Plus, I really like the civilizations (I happen to be Greek and I feel joy smashing Persians with Macedonians). It's really funny, because I was actually studying history for the final exams and playing this game while having a break, and it sort of inspired me...

Anyway, keep up the good work, I'm going to donate at some point when I have some money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...