Task--Eyecandy--- Roads

FueledByOCHD

We could rework the bridge to a road. I had many ideas how to do it, but I'm in a somewhat time-troublesome situation because of my job projects need at least one week more heavy care.

Perhaps I find time inbetween as I did the last weeks.

Thx that you start that early on the roads, Mute. Will think of how to handle the obstructions then. My current plan is to use Edge obstructions (just like for bridges). This way units could not leave the road. Not really realistic, but I'll work on jumping over obstructions anyway.

2) sounds ok wasnt really planning on obstructions

Don't worry, this functionality already exists. So if you place the roads properly next to each other then it's fine.

To be able to build roads like walls would indeed be awesome. I have no idea though how it's done currently. But once I have the chance I'll read the files.

The bridge model as street is okay for you as a start?

binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/other/bridge_wooden.xmlbinaries/data/mods/public/simulation/templates/other/bridge_hele.xml
The hellenes' bridge has the edge prop:

<Actor>props/special/eyecandy/bridge_edge_hele.xml</Actor>
And the edge obstruction too.

But we should probably cut a bit of the lower part.

Also we have build in small pieces to make the road adapt better to the environment (though it will not adapt to the slope as is currently ... looks like engine work to toggle between slope-adaption and always vertical building).

We're working on a workaround.

But the proper NavMeshes by shrinkwrapping aka Recast is probably overkill. Discussed it with Tanksy recently and thought of a layered approach but it's pretty obvious now that there would be too much intersection calculations (so this approach is no option).

Or we use physics for this (Tanksy already investigated a bit) ..

We then had to detect collisions with buildings but needed the ability to climb vertically or jump to get above the object (only then the collision detection will keep the object on height).

The problem might be the pathfinder (that's why NavMeshes are required).

MattFox had a NavMesh generation working within our pathfinder. He seemed like an expert, but he's gone and has never shared his code (in his opinion it was too slow). :( (though it was only too slow in comparison to our pathfinder and he did not pay attention to if obstacles/entities are walkable or not.)

We could thus try this approach for all buildings only. And then it might work.

Until we get this going we should stick to very low roads so that units don't look awkward because they sink through the bottom of the roads. (we could use textures only too, just like Random Maps does it.)

But having roads constructable is the first step. And it's a pretty cool one already.

Edited by Hephaestion