Itms

Unit voices - Greek pronunciation

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on unit voices for the different civs, and I saw that we were looking for a different Greek pronunciation for Macedonians.

Currently, the voices we use are voices for Hellenes. However, they use a quite modern pronunciation, not exactly the modern Greek one, but very close.

Linguists tend to think that attic pronunciation used to be a bit different. For example, θ wouldn't be pronounced 'th' as in 'think', but rather as a 'aspirated' t. Same applies to φ or χ.

So I think it would be interesting to use this pronunciation for Hellenes and to keep the current voices for Macedonians, and also for Seleucids.

Do you agree?

Thanks for your input!

I have studied a couple of years classic Greek in the past, and although that has been quite a while ago I might check some voices...

1 person likes this

Koine is the period of the successor states and all the Greek colonies,Koine is what linguists call the dialect spoken at that time.

Enjoy the Choice :)

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Koine is the period of the successor states and all the Greek colonies,Koine is what linguists call the dialect spoken at that time.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Indeed Paul writing his epistoles in koine.

About that. The discussion seems to revolve around written language. How about the spoken one?

For example, there's debate on how Julius Caesar pronounced "Vici". Was it "vichy", or "vicky", or another variation that English has trouble putting into paper?

The game seems to use the Erasmian pronunciation system. But, is there a way to know how the ancient Greeks REALLY pronounced their words?