Can I adjust the difficulty?

Odd vacuum

Hi 0ADers,

I just installed 0AD and unfortunately I'm quite unskilled. Therefore I didn't really figure out how do deal with all values and how to actually all controls work. (I red the in-game introduction but wasn't able to remember what I need in time.)

Is there any way how I could adjust the game for kind of a sandbox trial for learning the controls without getting wiped from the map in a few minutes?

I use debian stable (version r11863-1). Since the optiions menu is not included in my version I looked in the config file but couldn't find any trace of how I could for example level the difficulty way down or how I could get a trial map without any enemy at all.

Is there any chance of getting any sandbox-like trial not causing any stress?

The game looks like a real master piece. It would be great if even I could actually experience a little more than just a few minutes. Maybe with time I get better and can manage to play like normal gamers...

Wow, you are fast. :)

The unassigned option might be the best for starters. I didn't see any adjustment for difficulty anyway. Was this feature added in a later version?

I tend to stick to debian stable since I don't want to deal with manual adjustments if I do updates. My notebook is quite old anyway. Therefore the old version of the game runs probably better on my system. I own no 3d-acccelerated graphic card.

you would be better of learning on newer version, due to big differences

I agree with that (there have been almost 4000 newer revisions since yours), plus upgrading is free. And most is not compatible with older / newer versions.

Edited by niektb

We will release a new version in a few days, so better wait a bit with updating.

I don't think there's a working PPA for Debian which has the latest version. But if you build from source, you don't need the newest libraries (and all uncommon libraries are also in our source tree).

You might want to come to the #0ad-dev IRC channel on QuakeNet. Vincent_c often hangs around there, he's a Debian user/maintainer who usually packages the game for Debian.

Great. It didn't work instantly, because CMake was left out in the example apt-get command for Debian, but I finally managed to build the game with the linked guide after I installed it separately. :)

Only my old notebook the textures get loaded very slowly. At first I saw just gray objects where the landscape and buildings later on appeared. So actually the much older version in Debian stable worked better for my system, but even if everything is very slow. I love all the details. :)

If I only was a more dedicated and talented player. I refuse to slaughter or raise animals. They are just too cute. Further more I do not want to fight at all. Luckily I can leave out the enemy in single player mode and ignore military completely. Maybe I will come back to that if the rest gets boring, but I doubt I will be through with it before more new stuff will be available.

Unfortunately my mouse-button got stuck after a few minutes and I couldn't stop the scrolling on the map any more without quitting the game. But that easily could have been caused by my hardware. Occasionally my left mouse (touchpad) button has this issue.