The Ephebic Oath

The Ephebic Oath was an oath sworn by young men of Classical Athens, typically eighteen year-old sons of Athenian citizens, upon induction into the military academy, the Ephebic College, graduation from which was required to attain status as citizens. The applicant would have been dressed in full armour, shield and spear in his left hand, his right hand raised and touching the right hand of the moderator. The oath was quoted by the Attic orator Lycurgus, in his work Against Leocrates (4th century BCE), though it is certainly archaic (5th century BCE).The Ephebate, an organization for training the young men of Athens, chiefly in military matters, had existed since the 5th century but was reorganized by Lycurgus. The oath was taken in the temple of Aglaurus, daughter of Cecrops, probably at the age of eighteen when the youth underwent an examination (Greek: δοκιμασία) and had his name entered on the deme register. He was then an ephebus until the age of twenty.

Greek text

Οὐκ αἰσχυνῶ τὰ ἱερὰ ὅπλα, οὐδὲ λείψω τὸν παραστάτην ὅπου ἂν στοιχήσω: ἀμυνῶ δὲ καὶ ὑπὲρ ἱερῶν καὶ ὁσίων καὶ οὐκ ἐλάττω παραδώσω τὴν πατρίδα, πλείω δὲ καὶ ἀρείω κατά τε ἐμαυτὸν καὶ μετὰ ἁπάντων, καὶ εὐηκοήσω τῶν ἀεὶ κραινόντων ἐμφρόνως. καὶ τῶν θεσμῶν τῶν ἱδρυμένων καὶ οὓς ἂν τὸ λοιπὸν ἱδρύσωνται ἐμφρόνως: ἐὰν δέ τις ἀναιρεῖ, οὐκ ἐπιτρέψω κατά τε ἐμαυτὸν καὶ μετὰ πάντων, καὶ τιμήσω ἱερὰ τὰ πάτρια. ἴστορες θεοὶ Ἄγραυλος, Ἑστία, Ἐνυώ, Ἐνυάλιος, Ἄρης καὶ Ἀθηνᾶ Ἀρεία, Ζεύς, Θαλλώ, Αὐξώ, Ἡγεμόνη, Ἡρακλῆς, ὅροι τῆς πατρίδος, πυροί, κριθαί, ἄμπελοι, ἐλάαι, συκαῖ...

English translation

I will not bring dishonour on my sacred arms nor will I abandon my comrade wherever I shall be stationed. I will defend the rights of gods and men and will not leave my country smaller, when I die, but greater and better, so far as I am able by myself and with the help of all. I will respect the rulers of the time duly and the existing ordinances duly and all others which may be established in the future. Furthermore, if anyone seeks to destroy the ordinances I will oppose him so far as I am able by myself and with the help of all. I will honor the cults of my fathers. Witnesses to this shall be the gods Agraulus, Hestia, Enyo, Enyalius, Ares, Athena the Warrior, Zeus, Thallo, Auxo, Hegemone, Heracles, and the boundaries of my native land, wheat, barley, vines, olive-trees, fig-trees...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebic_Oath

• Like 1

Maybe such a technology might give higher resistance to conversion(?)

Good you mention that. Will note it for the next iteration of the converting priest mod. We need a XML-attribute (per unit-type/template) resistance or perhaps even divided into physical + mental strength before the adoption of morale.

(interesting they also mention the edible plants and the borders of the country.. and really just like Mythos said, the ordinances remind me of Spartan of Prussian militarism?)

Edit: I now settled on introducing it as optional element with hard-scripted default base value. This way we can slowly adopt it in the XML as per unit-type.

Also note that we are working on twofold:

• Converting enemies + gaia. (e.g. converting priest) <-- mental influence (resistance mental + perhaps a small physical influence as strong units might frighten converting priests, though this could be covered with morale)
  • Capturing any (even friendly units with the effect of worsening diplomatic tensions up until to war). <-- strict physical rules (distance, overpowering, health)
The Aristeia converting healers belong to the second category (non-functional).

The converting priests fall into the first category (idanwin's conversion attack, working).

Edited by Hephaestion