Horn Players to boost Morale?

Sanguivorant

This topic made me smile. This was a feature that was spec'd for 0 A.D. 12 years ago:

http://wildfiregames.com/users/files/docs/0addesigndoc.shtml

Morale was something we wanted to have a dynamic affect in game play. The game at the time was very aura based. Morale applies itself during the calculations of an attack between entities. Noise-makers decrease the morale of the enemy, Standard bearers increase the morale of your units. They were intended to be used in formation. Formations were intended to not just be a visual representation, but more importantly - impact gameplay.

We wanted to add depth of strategy by making live/dynamic choices that would give you more options as a player and as an opponent be less predictable. The game was originally designed to be more tactical like Company of Heroes vs. mass-cannon-fodder-he-who-clicks-the-fastest-in-the-right-order-wins.

Some of the ways we wanted to do this was through seasons, morale, decision based tech tree, terrain, territories, stamina, etc...

The game today incorporates a lot of these ideas to this day - which is cool to see an observe.

• Like 1

This topic made me smile. This was a feature that was spec'd for 0 A.D. 12 years ago:

Morale was something we wanted to have a dynamic affect in game play. The game at the time was very aura based. Morale applies itself during the calculations of an attack between entities. Noise-makers decrease the morale of the enemy, Standard bearers increase the morale of your units. They were intended to be used in formation. Formations were intended to not just be a visual representation, but more importantly - impact gameplay.

We wanted to add depth of strategy by making live/dynamic choices that would give you more options as a player and as an opponent be less predictable. The game was originally designed to be more tactical like Company of Heroes vs. mass-cannon-fodder-he-who-clicks-the-fastest-in-the-right-order-wins.

Some of the ways we wanted to do this was through seasons, morale, decision based tech tree, terrain, territories, stamina, etc...

The game today incorporates a lot of these ideas to this day - which is cool to see an observe.

Me too if you play pretorians or total war this can be expected

In any RTS I'm pretty sure that mechanics will be important, but I wholeheartedly agree that strategy should be a huge deciding factor in the outcome of PvP, something which definitely seems to be the case in this game, so that's really exciting to see.