For a New Faction: Lusitanian.

Ardworix

• Generic Name: Civic Centre
  • Specific Name: Treba
    • Class: Civic Centre.
    • History: Treba was the house of the lineage, the political-territorial unit which extendia agricultural land area. Was located in the Castro (Brix).

Casa_cividade_terroso.jpg

Model Citânia Sanfins rectangular format:

Museu_Sanfins_4.JPG

pf23.jpg

citania_sanfins_filme.jpg

View inside the Citânia Sanfins:

ng1025301.jpg

CIT%C3%82NIASANFINSPATRIM%C3%93NIOMUNDIA

Panoramic view:

2655125_gUmN2.jpeg

2247888.jpg

Edited by Ardworix
  • Thanks 1

• Generic Name: Caetratus

• Specific Name: Ezpatari

• Class: Swordsman.

• Armament: Falcata sword of antenna.

• Appearance:

• Garb: Basic tunic is of cream-coloured cloth with short-sleeved shirt. Hemmed sleeves and hem at the bottom of the skirt can be used for civ colour identification bands. Two metal rings above the elbows on each arm. The breast has a scaled armour plate 'vest' strapped over the shirt part of the tunic and chain mail skirt below. Gains a bronze breastplate when upgraded to Ultimate rank.

• Shield: Caetra, small shield.

• Helmet: No headgear for basic unit, crested spine for advanced, plumed horsehair for Ultimate; see concept drawing below.

Figure(s): -

History: “They have a small shield two feet in diameter, concave in front, and suspended from the shoulder by means of thongs (for it has neither arm-rings nor handles). Besides these shields they have a dirk or a butcher's-knife. Most of them wear linen cuirasses; a few wear chain-wrought cuirasses and helmets with three crests, but the rest wear helmets made of sinews. The foot-soldiers wear greaves also, and each soldier has several javelins; and some also make use of spears, and the spears have bronze heads.” – Estrabon.

Garrison: 1.

Function: -

Special: Iberian Steel.

lusit+swordman.png

• Like 1

Good progress. Highly structured.

If you are familiar with Github then we could start. I have still my difficulties as to which culture group to add the Lusitanians to. It seems they are most often called Proto-Celts (European-NorthAfrican Neolithics) who somehow intermangled with their conquerors like when the Celts moved there from the 2014AD-Czech-Germany location to the Iberian peninsula and the Cimbri (Germanic tribe from Northern Europe who conquered those).

Thus the proper culture group is difficult. In general I really feel we should finally fully abolish this hard-coded civilization, it's just never been like this as factions appeared, intermarried, disappeared, merged, exchanged, ... and this starting from times where the continents were yet shaped completely differently.

Adding them to the Celts or Iberians until we have fully worked out how solve this intermangling issue in a hopefully elegant way but yet keep the historical authenticity (i.e. no simulation of intermangling or at least only limited and guided intermangling to get the same result as real history).

The way of life (culture group) may be grouped as distant Suebi-related too. To keep factions of equal or similar way of life in one repository is my goal as those might easily reuse artwork of other factions who have had a (similar) lifestyle.

Total War Discussion

A consequence of the above arguments is that the Lusitanians we want to model fit into the timerange when those already declined (Hannibal's War against Roman Republic, thus the faction has to go into the 0AD Addon package which dates from 500BC..500AD).

Do you have a clue as of when the Lusitanians were at their height. It's difficult to tell anyways as there were many foreign warlords controlling them even when they helped Hannibal with mercenaries. (Source: above discussion + its linked sources.)

Another reasonable faction if we added the Lusitanians seem to be the Gallaeci:

I wonder if the Elk antler hadn't rather been a real world one instead of being artificially made as drawn in the sketch. It's difficult to see on the coin. The picture looks nice though.

I beg your pardon what does 'not in the mask' mean? The bucula is not shown in the image? So we have to add it to the helmet's 3D model? (once we model it)

About the Suevi, they reached only to the end of the Roman Empire from 409 to 585 After Christ, is a historical period long after the "Lusitanian Wars".

About mask (buccula), would have to attach to the helmet.

0088.jpg

0049.jpg

• Like 1

Ardworix and me we already started modeling the buildings.

The XML will be committed today evening, so no need to worry. It will be a faction of the Iberians. We will overwrite the public/civs/iber.json to achieve that.

The hero Viriato was moved to the Lusitanian faction in the process.

Edited by Hephaestion
  • Like 1

Viriathus: (hero) [source]

viriathus2.jpg

Uh, this badass is a Belgian. A quite well known statue on the market of Tongeren (Limburg), statue of Ambiorix, leader of the Eburones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambiorix

The statue is made in 1866, some 30 years after the independence of Belgium. And it was made to depict the Belgae as an ancient and powerful people to justify the independence. The De Bello Gallico, where Caesar describes the Belgae as the most fierce of them all was very popular in those days.

So it might be best to question the rest of that source too.

• Like 1

Oh, that's pretty funny.

Ardworix, I not yet committed, because it appeared to me that it would remove 1/2 of the Iberian generic faction. I'm quite lost with that as I basically had the choice: I

EITHER

- recreate the files completely (absolutely redundant to the Iberian generic faction of 0AD).

OR

- figure out which of all the files in 0AD belong to the Iberian faction.

The latter was what I did as far as I was able to on Sunday, changing the description and names to match your Lusitanian design document in the process.

Strangely there were only few more changes to be made. Though I also changed the horses to be garrisonable by 2 soldiers but didn't test it yet.

I will continue to look for Iberian files and rework those for the Lusitanian tonight. Though I wonder if you are aware of that the generic 0AD faction is mainly built up of Lusitanians it seems :).

The "structure" is "Iberic" and "celtiberic" 2 of 3 heroes are Iberic, only Viriatus is Lusitanian.

However the some weapons and cloth are common, the description of the Lusitanian by Strabo says the use of linen cloth.

"Most of Them wear linen cuirasses, a few wear cuirasses and helmets wrought-chain with three crests, but the rest wear helmets made ​​of sinews The foot - soldiers wear greaves Also, and each soldier has several javelins;. Also and some make use of spears, and the spears have bronze heads. "- Strabon.

Bandua.jpgswordman+lusitano.png

It is also worth mentioning the use of Black Covers:

"and let their hair down stream in thick masses after the Manner of women, though before going into battle They bind Their hair about the forehead. [....] All the men dress in black, for the most part in coarse cloaks, In which . They Sleep, on beds of litter Their and They use waxen vessels, just as the Celts But the women always go clad in long gowns and mantles gay-colored. "-. Strabon.

hispania.jpg

Edited by Ardworix

Lusitanians Warships:

In what became known as "War Sertorius,"(80 a 72 A.D.) Quintus Sertorius was that according to Plutarch The Roman Major after Caesar, Sertorius was exiled to North Africa, when the decline of the Roman Republic, assailed by the Oligarchy.

With the death of Viriathus, the Lusitanians were seeking Sertorius to lead them against Rome and liberate their homeland. Sertorius saw it as an opportunity to defeat the Roman Oligarchy and accepts lead them.

Arriving at the Lusitania, the Lusitanians Sertório structure within the Roman conception of the regular army, sending concomitant build a navy of war.

Plutarch reports that Sertorius defeated Cotta a naval battle near Mellaria.

• Bireme.
  • Trireme.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Description of Lusitanians by Diodoro Sículo and Estrabon:

Diodoro Sículo:

"Those they call Lusitanians are the most valiant of all the Cimbri. These, in, times of war, carry little targets made of bowel strings, so strong and firm, as completely to guard and defend their bodies. In fights they manage these, so nimbly whirling them about here and there, that with a great deal of art they avoid and repel every dart that is cast at them.

They use hooked saunians made all of iron, and wear swords and helmets like to those of the Celtiberians.:
They wear black rough cassocks made of wool, like to goat's hair. Some of them are armed with the Gaulish light shields, others with bucklers as big as shields, and wear greaves about their legs made of rough hair, and brazen helmets upon their heads, adorned with red plumes. They carry two-edged swords exactly tempered with steel, and have daggers beside, of a span long, which they make use of in close fights. They make weapons and darts in an admirable manner; for they bury plates of iron so long under ground, till the rust hath consumed the weaker part, and so the rest becomes more strong and firm. Of this they make their swords and other warlike weapons; and with these arms, thus tempered, they so cut through every thing in their way, that neither shield, helmet, nor bone can withstand them. And because they are furnished with two swords, the horse, when they have routed the enemy, alight and join with the foot, and fight to admiration.
They throw their darts at a great distance, and yet are sure to hit their mark, and wound deeply: being of active and nimble bodies, they can easily fly from, or pursue their enemy, as there is occasion : but when they are under hardships, they cannot endure near so much as the Celtiberians."
Estrabon:
" [...] the Lusitanians, it is said, are given to laying ambush, given to spying out, are quick, nimble, and good at deploying troops. They have a small shield two feet in diameter, concave in front, and suspended from the shoulder by means of thongs (for it has neither arm-rings nor handles). Besides these shields they have a dirk or a butcher's-knife. Most of them wear linen cuirasses; a few wear chain-wrought cuirasses and helmets with three crests, but the rest wear helmets made of sinews. The foot-soldiers wear greaves also, and each soldier has several javelins;
All the men dress in black, for the most part in coarse cloaks, in which they sleep, on their beds of litter."
guerreiro%2Blusitano%2Bdiodoro.png
  • Like 1