(1000)===[TASK]===Viking Longboat

niektb

stan. blender always saves for you on exit.

On restart just open the quit.blend and there you go. blender is a gentle cavalier.

max and blender are at war and thus max prevents blender from importing its battle plans/animations. that's just usual. ;)

- the idle pos looks best if the rows are in the water I guess.

best for rowers I guess. :D but for the ship as is the rows could have been pulled in. but if they're heavy this is doubtful too.

Edited by Hephaestion

Blender also saves arbitrary files from the last days.

Also as blend1, blend2. And it also saves randomly: File -> Recover --> look for a possible time (all filenames are just numbers, look at the time, open all if required)

Poor stan, not even one file uploaded somewhere? Let's just keep the ship as is.

The ingame files you still have? So it's fine. Let's stick with it.

Edited by Hephaestion

Here are the files

Fixed in the Snekkja folder (All of Nieks comments)

Previous in the Mods folder

Blend File Included.

I won't touch it anymore. If you want to tweak feel free :)

EDIT : The Skei and the long drakkar are missing rows and I won't do the animation 24hours of pain... is too much per boat. I'll add the missing rows tweak a few things and then upload them here.

Only one missing is the drakkar (drekkar ?)

Final.7z

Edited by stanislas69
  • Like 1

Some WIP with the Knarr. Just a little question the drekkar is gonna be huge are you okay with it ? (This is the biggest ship on the image I posted previously)

In that picture it looked a bit overhuge :):sword_rune:

Maybe stick with the same sizes as the Snekkja but way more eyecandy? (A catchy dragon head, a tent?, a bunch of props)

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing prevents you from trying. But Blender is really picky :(

Thanks for the commit. I didn't figure out how to make the 60 sails in the other boat. In the game they are somehow rigged with three bones but I don't see how.

Nothing prevents you from trying. But Blender is really picky :(

Thanks for the commit. I didn't figure out how to make the 60 sails in the other boat. In the game they are somehow rigged with three bones but I don't see how.

What boat? The Drekar? I think you could use the Snekkja as a base model and then just add some additional ornament, change some proportions, add that tent and the Dragon Head and you're all fine.

The last ship (Karvi) requires some additional work I think though.

• 1 month later...

Stan, as already said through IRC there is a visual glitch in the snekkja:

WwKbaij.jpg

I think it is the same issue as with the Egyptian CC ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n6nkupqicn493v/Screenshot%202014-05-08%2016.30.34.png )

Enrique described the fix

(

The weird shadowing, and probably the artifacts too, may be the smoothing faces. Since its a cubic shape but the faces are smoothed out, it creates artifacts while trying to make it look "rounded" when it really should be "cubic". This is solved by detaching faces manually selecting them and hitting "Y" or you can try an automatic approach using an "edge split" modifier, which makes sharp edges based on how big the angle with the next face is. The default angle thresold is 30 degreez IIRC, but I recommend to increase it to something like 75-90 if you want to maintain smooth geometry (like columns, barrels....)

)

But it damages the animations in this case. Could you take a look at it?

I saw that there was a misunderstanding about the viking ships:

This is the correct line-up:

Fishing ship.

Knarr: Merchant
Karvi: combination but weaker warship/ less trading income.

Snekkja: Warship
Drekar: Elite warship

The snekkja has replaced the Skeid. For the records I'm listing here the bonuses once more:

Knarr: Mobile dropsite
Karvi: None.

Snekkja: Loot bonusing aura
Drekar: Loot bonusing aura, Mobile dropsite, trains units

• Like 1