(Question) Modding?

FueledByOCHD

Even though you're always welcome, the best place to ask these questions is in the main game modifications forum, you'll see a few comparable topics there. Lion's remark was in the direction of the site admins asking to move this topic to the best spot to post such topics.

ok, thank you very much, was wondering if i could make it so a soldier can research something ie add tech to a soldier

Should be do able, never tried it though.

No problem always ask.

Here is the general information about technologies.

Sure, you can research new units. Take a look at how it's done in the mods/public/civs/<civ>.json. Heroes are a good example.

Or do you want to add a unit directly to your armies or citizens if you researched a tech?

If you know how to program JavaScript, then it's possible. The goal is to send a unit creation event to the engine. mods/public/simulation/components/TechnologyTemplateManager.js

and mods/public/simulation/components/GuiInterface.js might be helpful.

Edited by Hephaestion

They are kind of archives (.bar). .xmb is compact xml, so you could try for a program to decrypt those.

Are you sure such files are used in 0AD other than in the cache or for releases?

You don't have to open cache files .. just check out the real repo: https://github.com/0ad/0ad. Compiling is easy: -> wiki. And you have a much more up to date version. Absolutely useful for modding.

Edit: AAAAHH, thamlett is back. Serve some wine. Good gracious. There just the knight stands when we need him most. Glad to see you, comrad. Now it's just missing that Atemneses escapes the enemy again. Did you find something out on your mission?

Edited by Hephaestion

They are kind of archives (.bar). .xmb is compact xml, so you could try for a program to decrypt those.

Are you sure such files are used in 0AD other than in the cache or for releases?

You don't have to open cache files .. just check out the real repo: https://github.com/0ad/0ad. Compiling is easy: -> wiki. And you have a much more up to date version. Absolutely useful for modding.

Edit: AAAAHH, thamlett is back. Serve some wine. Good gracious. There just the knight stands when we need him most. Glad to see you, comrad. Now it's just missing that Atemneses escapes the enemy again. Did you find something out on your mission?

Nope, I was just down with the flu for about a week and then I had to catch up on other things. But yes, I'm back, and I'm making it a goal to try to check the forums (directly) twice a day. I'm still running around doing sysadmin work. I do have a day job, you know.

And BTW, I prefer Mountain Dew over wine :)

No, Win 8 too, but is it something Linux related? Or is it that I only use SVN?

In the SVN you should not have those XMB-files. Though in the .cache or whereever this might be on Windows, there you find .XMB too.

For debugging it's important we know these locations. We should clear those if we encounter bugs as the cache might have strange effects (prevent changes we may have made to show up).

*nix:

rm $HOME/.cache/0ad/ -r    #attention, deletes the 0ad cache folder difficult to restore it afterwards.
OR

rm <0ad-repository-location>/binaries/data/cache/ -r #same warning as above, pay attention which folder you stated, be careful with wildcards, check which files they target first via ls command - only then delete via rm.
For Windows I have no idea: But see here: GameDataPaths.

Glad you are fit again. Haha, this dew sounds intersting. :D Edited by Hephaestion

Nope, I was just down with the flu for about a week and then I had to catch up on other things. But yes, I'm back, and I'm making it a goal to try to check the forums (directly) twice a day. I'm still running around doing sysadmin work. I do have a day job, you know.

What is mountain Dev?