Music Contributor - Augustin L.

Position: Music composer.

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free?
Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license?
Yes

Name:
Augustin Ledanseur.
Email:
aledanseur@gmail.com
Availability:
7-10 hours per week. I think it won't change so soon.
I'm studying Musicology in the University of Rennes.

Skills and Experience:
I started to play the piano and the guitar very young. I have been learning in two conservatoires. I know all the fundamentals of classical music composition and I have worked on a lot of different other styles (jazz formation, rock, blues, funk and contemporary music). I have a very good ear and a huge imagination.

I have always been attracted by the composition. When I am listening to something, I automatically have pictures, stories, atmospheres coming to my mind. So I started to compose music very young, because I always loved it. Recently I started to compose for video-games, but I don't yet had the occasion to participate to anything very serious.

Motivation:
Music is my passion. And I want it to become my work. If I want to make music for video games, it's because I think that's a field I can be really good in. I am not really interested by money, I would just like to be part of a project. To be a member of a team, and create something with this team. Give to this team, and to this project everything I can give to it to create something that people will enjoy. Money is a cool thing, but knowing that people loved something you did is far better.

Personality:
I am usually happy, I am very respectful, I am always thinking about a lot of things, I am open minded, creative and adaptable.

Short Essay:
About a month ago, a friend of mine (who knows my ambitions and heard my musics) told me about someone from his engineering school who is working with WildFire's team. Then, I saw that you where looking for people. So it was obvious for me that I had to try to join the project, because this is exactly the kind of project I want to bring something in. I think I would learn a lot of thing working with you and I am sure it would be a great experience. I need to be part of such a project, because this is all I want to do.

Interests and Hobbies:
I like to record songs, play with other musicians, I do sports, I love to cook and of course I play a lot of video games.

Staff:
A friend told me about a someone who is in the team, but I don't know his name.
Community:
I follow a few groups on twitter and Facebook.
Favorite Game:
Right now I'm playing Diablo 3, but I love all the Diablos from the first one. I also loved Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and the two Portals. I also love and find very interesting the Elder Scrolls. In another style, I always loved Age Empire, Stronghold Crusader and games like this..

Work Examples:
Before moving to Rennes, I have been member of a few bands, I often was the leader. But now I decided to take time to work alone, which is the occasion to make another kind of production. I published a few tracks on sound cloud. But a lot of publications are not a finished work. I give you a link hear: https://soundcloud.com/augustin-ledanseur

Edited by feneur
edit title to make it clear he wants to contribute music
  • Like 2

Hmm, I can't listen to your work examples. I can see them, but clicking play doesn't work for some reason (maybe soundcloud is temporarily down).

Anyway, I don't think you're applying for "sound lead". We split the "sound" and "music" parts of the game. Sound is about sound effects (battle sounds, shouts, animal sounds ...) while music is about the background tracks (in the menus and in the game).

We have an active composer (Omri Lahav). He's quite busy but still manages to create new tracks every now and then. But you can either try to cooperate with Omri, or work on yourself. If you make good tracks (note that this includes the composing and the recording of the music), those should be added to the game. Most songs from Omri have a theme (normally a combination of a civilisation with peaceful and violent variants) because our in-game music selection system can automatically pick a track from that. For menu background music, you don't need a theme off course.

Thank you for wanting to help out.

• Like 1

I noticed that recently sound cloud was not working on Safari, but it works well with chrome. I give you this link, maybe it will show you what kind of thing I can do.. But it's not a finished work, most of it is improvisation: https://soundcloud.com/augustin-ledanseur/sets/projet-1-musique-pour-jeu-vid

Sorry for the "Sound Lead", I was not sure, but I did not found what application to choose, in french we often use sound instead of music...

So now, I just have to make something, share it here and see if you like it?

I noticed that recently sound cloud was not working on Safari, but it works well with chrome.

Ah, it indeed works with chromium. Thanks.

I give you this link, maybe it will show you what kind of thing I can do.. But it's not a finished work, most of it is improvisation: https://soundcloud.com/augustin-ledanseur/sets/projet-1-musique-pour-jeu-vid

That music is quite dramatic. While we have no real drama in our game. Only violence and peace, sometimes revenge. The "Main Theme" you made is more useful I think. But it's still a bit too electronic to fit the game. Our music now is quite acoustic, and I think it would be best to keep it that way, to represent the ancient music. Most of your music sounds very electronic, and thus not really fitting our needs. I don't know if you want to work more acoustic.

Sorry for the "Sound Lead", I was not sure, but I did not found what application to choose, in french we often use sound instead of music...

So now, I just have to make something, share it here and see if you like it?

Basically, yes. Make something we will probably like. If it fits with the style we want in 0 A.D., it can be used in the game. Otherwise it's just something for your portfolio. When you make some good stuff, and you can cooperate with Omri when needed, you can get part of the team (basically get commit access).

Are you by any chance a friend of James ?

Yes I am ! ^^

So I guess you're the one he told me about.

Most of your music sounds very electronic, and thus not really fitting our needs. I don't know if you want to work more acoustic.

I made those electronic tracks for a friend, but I know this is absolutely not the kind of 0 A.D ^^

I have listened Mr.Lahav's 0 A.D OSTs, to get an idea of what you're looking for.

So now the only problem I have is that I don't have any orchestra to play what I do, I can only use software sounds (some of the sounds are sometimes very good ! ). Well, I can play myself and record a few things, or ask someone to play some strings, but I can't have an orchestra...

Anyway, I'll try to make something as realistic as I can..

• Like 1

Most of Omri's music is software, but with a good amount of recorded instruments thrown in :) So don't worry if you can't do it all with recorded instruments :) I think I'll send Omri an email pointing him to this thread... (He usually just checks a couple of threads as he's so busy.) I'll also change the topic of this thread so it's clear that it's music you're interested in :)

Have you read his music contribution guidelines here: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14632 btw?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Augustin,

First of all thanks for your interest in 0 A.D. :)

I noticed most of the things have already been said - so I'll be brief:

Of course there's no need to record an actual orchestra, none of my tracks were done that way.

I just make sure to add enough of the "live" element to compensate for the MIDI sounds, and also I take great care to enhance my MIDI sounds with proper mixing etc...

Bottom line - as long as your music is appropriate for 0 A.D. (nothing electronic, no digital effects etc...) and sounds like a fairly convincing orchestral simulation - that's fine :)

You can contact me with any questions via email, Omri (@) OmriLahav.com, feel free to send me samples of your work there if you want my feedback.

Thanks again,

Thank you for your attention.

For my part, I think I'll sent you some work in progress as you proposed, to have your thoughts. My exams are practically over and I started to start making music again, so, I hope I'll have news very soon. (I'm also looking for people to play a few things, as you said, to compensate the midi as you said, but that can take more time...) Anyway, until I'll have musicians, I'll record what I can record on my own, and make the rest midi.

So, I'll come back as soon as I'll have something.

Thanks for your answers.

• Like 4