(1000) ===[TASK]=== Norse Weaponry (props)

niektb

Possible, but I have to look into that (Never changed origins of meshes)

In edit mode, move all the vertices of the sword until grip is in the origin of the scene, then exit object mode.

Shift+C - Centers the cursor at the origin of the scene.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C - Opens a menu related to the origin of the object, select "Origin to 3D cursor" (which is at 0,0,0)

This way you have the object's origin in the correct place, and the object is ready to be exported since it's already centered.

• Like 1

Hey. I realised that there is no real use of improving that blade texture, because for now texture is 1024x1024 ands it's gonna be something around 128x128 so losing five hours to fix it might not be the best idea.Anyway since I need to stop giving up I made some modification and added the variation.

You need power-of-two sizes in game, but AFAIK, it doesn't need to be square. F.e. a 16x128 texture should also be possible.

Of course, you can use a square texture, and share it with different weapons (fit some types of sword on the same texture).

• Like 1

In edit mode, move all the vertices of the sword until grip is in the origin of the scene, then exit object mode.

Shift+C - Centers the cursor at the origin of the scene.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C - Opens a menu related to the origin of the object, select "Origin to 3D cursor" (which is at 0,0,0)

This way you have the object's origin in the correct place, and the object is ready to be exported since it's already centered.

Thanks, I already had fixed in a more difficult way. :)

• Like 1

You need power-of-two sizes in game, but AFAIK, it doesn't need to be square. F.e. a 16x128 texture should also be possible.

Of course, you can use a square texture, and share it with different weapons (fit some types of sword on the same texture).

Thanks for the hint. That's easy to overlook. Just thought it had to be square.

Having it all on one texture is probably easier to handle in the XML because the texture name has not to be changed?

This could also work: (though Enrique's way gives more fine-grained control)

Edit Mode (TAB) -> Select handle vertices -> SHIFT+S -> 3D Cursor to center of selected vertices -> change into Object Mode (TAB) -> ALT+CTRL+SHIFt+C -> Origin to 3D Cursor

Thanks for the hint. That's easy to overlook. Just thought it had to be square.

Having it all on one texture is probably easier to handle in the XML because the texture name has not to be changed?

This could also work: (though Enrique's way gives more fine-grained control)

Edit Mode (TAB) -> Select handle vertices -> SHIFT+S -> 3D Cursor to center of selected vertices -> change into Object Mode (TAB) -> ALT+CTRL+SHIFt+C -> Origin to 3D Cursor

That's a nice way to get the origin of the object in the perfect center of the handle. Just remember to snap the object to the origin of the scene before exporting to avoid offset placing in the engine :)

Oh yes, I remember one of the 3DMax<->Blender tests, where all my props were floating around. So happy you fixed the biped template. It's so useful. Without it I'd had no chance to create the juggler.

@Stan: Yet another 3D model. Good work, comrad. Can you upload the final blend. Or commit it into the share repository yourself. The destination folder should be (if you don't mind) share/3D/ where we put in our development files and all CC0 blenderartist's works. Our collection just like the one released by Philip (who created the folder) Michael (who sorted and uploaded for years) and the art department as a whole.

Then later, once we create all the xml- and json-files for the viking sword, we can sort it into the correct 1000AD mod-timeframe folders. Or we let this handle the Mod Manager. If the mod manager could sort the files itself, we were freed from 0AD's folder maze. ;)

To automatically recognize if it's a prop or not might be a challenge though.

Looks good! :thumbsup:

mammen_axe.jpg

Some axe heads were elaborately decorated with inlays of precious metals, notably the Mammen axe head. The head is decorated on every flat surface with inlays of silver and gold and was found in a rich grave that dates from the year 971.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_axe.htm

A green light for a decorated version, I think it's best to decorate two-handed only. (These are for the Huskarls)

Edited by niektb

Okay, Ill start working on the Huskarl variation... A friend told me I could get the drawings on the blade with illustrator... I'll check. Is the blade image public domain ?

Illustrator? That is an expert field of Lion.

Public Domain? No, I don't think so.

Edited by niektb