(1000) Byzantine Art Creation

Romulus

I urge that we start issuing tasks for this project.

Starting with Byzantines.

Architecture

Units

Art

Mythos_Ruler may probably want to be involved, as Byzantium is his thing.

But we have to at least get something going here, this project is really dormant.

Yes I know the Vikings are in progress... But I don't see any tasks submitted for them, so we need to get the ball rolling here.

I urge that we start issuing tasks for this project.

Starting with Byzantines.

Architecture

Units

Art

Mythos_Ruler may probably want to be involved, as Byzantium is his thing.

But we have to at least get something going here, this project is really dormant.

Yes I know the Vikings are in progress... But I don't see any tasks submitted for them, so we need to get the ball rolling here.

Sorry, I have this week a couple of tests so I had to study and didn't had the time to create tasks for the Vikings. Will try this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I believe that is it. Though if I recall correctly, Konstantinople used a flag with star and sickle.

CONSTANTINOPLE

Constantinople-Banner.png

The star and crescent symbol was originally used as the flag of Constantinople. According to legend in 339 BC the city of Byzantium, (later known as Constantinople and then Istanbul), won a decisive battle under a brilliant waxing moon which they attributed to their patron Goddess Artemis (Diana in Roman mythology) whose symbol was the crescent moon. In honor of Artemis the citizens adopted the crescent moon as their symbol. When the city became the Christian Roman Constantinople in 330 AD, Constantine also added the Virgin Mary's star on the flag.

ISAAC COMNENUS OF CYPRUS

Komnenos-Cyprus-Arms.png Isaac Comnenus was the last ruler of Cyprus before the Frankish conquest during the Third Crusade. He was a minor member of the Comnenus family, a great nephew of the Byzantine Emperor Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180) and a grandson of the Sebastocrator Isaac. The coat of arms used by Issac Comnenus was a crescent moon and an eight pointed star on an azure background, adopted in relation with his family links to the Byzantine emperor. Emperor Manuel made Isaac governor of Isauria and the town of Tarsus in present-day eastern Turkey, where he started a war with the Armenians and was imprisoned by them. When Isaac was released in 1185, he hired a troop of mercenaries and sailed to Cyprus. He presented falsified imperial letters that ordered the local administration to obey him in everything and established himself as ruler of the island.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star%20and%20cresent.html

Yes I believe that is it. Though if I recall correctly, Konstantinople used a flag with star and sickle.

CONSTANTINOPLE

Constantinople-Banner.png

The star and crescent symbol was originally used as the flag of Constantinople. According to legend in 339 BC the city of Byzantium, (later known as Constantinople and then Istanbul), won a decisive battle under a brilliant waxing moon which they attributed to their patron Goddess Artemis (Diana in Roman mythology) whose symbol was the crescent moon. In honor of Artemis the citizens adopted the crescent moon as their symbol. When the city became the Christian Roman Constantinople in 330 AD, Constantine also added the Virgin Mary's star on the flag.

ISAAC COMNENUS OF CYPRUS

Komnenos-Cyprus-Arms.png Isaac Comnenus was the last ruler of Cyprus before the Frankish conquest during the Third Crusade. He was a minor member of the Comnenus family, a great nephew of the Byzantine Emperor Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180) and a grandson of the Sebastocrator Isaac. The coat of arms used by Issac Comnenus was a crescent moon and an eight pointed star on an azure background, adopted in relation with his family links to the Byzantine emperor. Emperor Manuel made Isaac governor of Isauria and the town of Tarsus in present-day eastern Turkey, where he started a war with the Armenians and was imprisoned by them. When Isaac was released in 1185, he hired a troop of mercenaries and sailed to Cyprus. He presented falsified imperial letters that ordered the local administration to obey him in everything and established himself as ruler of the island.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star%20and%20cresent.html

Not, is most a Semitic symbol,than a Roman one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great! Also the shields.

One question though: the elite warrior has fewer armor at the legs. Is it to compensate for heavier torso armour?

which kind of trousers did they wear (at least for the base soldier it's clear)?

The shields are divided in left + right. Is it due to the right ones only being suitable for the elite soldiers? Thanks for the concepts.

Yeah, it's supposed to represent the evolution of the Roman Skoutatos. The one on the left is 6th century, the one in the middle is 8th century, and the one on the right is 10th century.

The shield pattern on the right is actually applicable to all three unit models, but the patterns on the left are not.

They all have trousers called Feminalia, which were tight fitting linen trousers (but not like, "tights" tight fitting). The 6th century guy is wearing Braccae, which were looser.

I didn't put leg armor (Greaves) on any of them. And chainmail is actually the heaviest of the armors shown. The one in the middle is thick quilted linen (probably at least an inch thick) and the one on the right is Lamellar.

Edited by Flavius Aetius
  • Like 1