Proposal: Split "Tools & Options" into "Options" and "Map Editor"

idanwin

I suggest the games main menu item "Tools & Options" be split into two separate menu items "Options" and "Map Editor".

My arguments for:

-Makes the editor more visible to newer users

-Decreases clicks for people who want to use the editor (and don't use -editor)

-Decreases clicks for people who want to use options from main menu

-A lot like most other games

My argument against:

-Overlap on small screens

Counter-argument:

Works on screens =>720p in height (tested), smaller screens (e.g. 800x600) cannot display the current menu either

This is what it would look like on a 1280x720:

post-4287-0-08240400-1396001099_thumb.pn

fix_split_tno.diff

Edited by idanwin

Mmmmh, Is 0.a.d playable on netbooks ? If not shouldn't be considered, but if it is there will be an issue with 1024x600 resolutions.

The (current) menu already gets warped at 600p height.

The 0 A.D. main menu at 800x600:

post-4287-0-11938900-1396003042_thumb.pn

You need about 690p height to display it correctly.

Edited by idanwin

The (current) menu already gets warped at 600p height.

The 0 A.D. main menu at 800x600:

attachicon.gifscreenshot0008.png

You need about 690p height to display it correctly.

I don't like this. The GUI should work even with smaller resolutions (scrollable widgets are hopefully available in out GUI toolkit).

In general I'd prefer resizing elements (like e.g. changing the font size (in options, not present ATM) would resize the buttons).

But visuals are favored over usability here once more. With scrollable widgets it would still work (though sometimes bad to handle).

Separating the editor from the options is a good idea IMO.

Edited by FeXoR

The minimum resolution this game must support is 1024x768. If you have a smaller screen, do you really want to play an RTS?

So, I'm not against it. If someone creates a patch for it, it can be committed imo. But I won't invest time in it either, as Pureon is still working on the ui redesign.

• Like 2

Any phone or handheld device we would want to port the game to will probably have HD resolution. Some smartphones today already have 1080p.

For handheld devices, the UI needs to be recreated anyway since it is not touch-friendly. And I hope more devices will be supported than FHD only.

• Like 2

Anyway, my initial post already had a git diff file, does that count as a patch?

Hmm, I was browsing from my phone, I missed it. I'll take a look and commit it if it's good enough.

EDIT: On a second thought, it will collide with the i18n branch. And every collision is extra work. So I'll wait until the i18n branch is in.

• 2 weeks later...

The left side of the initial screen is getting too many buttons, maybe the box with the version and the three buttons (Website, Chat, Report a Bug) could be moved to the right side? This way there would be no need to rise the minimum resolution.

• Like 1