[Random map] Schwarzwald

niektb

1. I was more thinking of a quiet lake in the middle of the forest, but waves could be added easily.

2. Yes, I need to re-select all used texture, but I do not know which to pick. Hmm, dirt patches should be do-able.

3. Let's see, now only quarries are placed (gold and stone). I think it is possible to add variations and non-quarry rocks (but I haven't looked to the code for quite a while.)

@Hephaestion:

My user.cfg contains this:

splashscreenenable = "false"
userreport.enabledversion = "0"
userreport.id = "3346465565a4dc6f"
How would I proceed on doing it? Sorry, I'm technically impaired. :D

@niektb:

On 3, yep, I have noticed that too. However, what I mean by "rocks" is the terrain you used for the rocky features. A little bit of variety on the rocky terrain would make wonders.

C:\Users\JohnDoe\AppData\Roaming\0ad\config

At that place you should create a local.cfg in which you paste the prefered lines.

Mine reads this:

waterfoam = truewatercoastalwaves = truewatershadows = trueshowsky = true;;;;; EXPERIMENTAL ;;;;;; Prefer GLSL shaders over ARB shaders (not recommended). REQUIRES gentangents=true.preferglsl = true; Generate tangents for normal and parallax mapping. REQUIRES preferglsl=true.gentangents = true; Experimental probably-non-working GPU skinning support; requires preferglsl; use at own riskgpuskinning = false; Use smooth LOS interpolation; REQUIRES preferglsl=true.smoothlos = false; Use screen-space postprocessing filters (HDR, bloom, DOF, etc). Incompatible with fixed renderpath.postproc = truematerialmgr.quality = 10.0

3. Oh, you mean the roads! (roads? :scratch_one-s_head: ) Okay, maybe I should remove them and use dirt patches instead.

Edited by niektb

This is coming along nicely. I like the aspect of the map where there are multiple "attack lanes" between the players. This is good map design. Good map design needs choke points, attack lanes, and sneaks, along with good placement of resources (food close to water and starting CCs, stone and wood a little ways away, metal farther away),and of course eye candy for aesthetics. As far as terrain textures go, mix in some large and medium areas of similar terrains, with areas of very patchy terrains. Especially in the "grassland" areas there can be larger areas of the same terrain, while nearer to the forests things get a lot patchier.

• Like 2

The fog is a bit irritating to have a nice overview in Atlas. But it probably works quite well in a zoomed-in game.

Maybe the pigs should indeed be a bit less, and maybe other animals mixed with it (goats, boars, sheep ...). I do like this amount of animals, it makes cav a lot more useful, enforcing a different play style on this map.

Can you also enlarge the default number of trees in a territory? It looks like every player starts with two trees, but I've seen maps where one of the players had to walk really long to get the next trees (see screenshot: 4 players, normal size, seed 7888). I think having trees available to gather 1000 wood inside its own territory would be nice (it doesn't have to be right next to the CC though).

Some fish in the water would also be nice (as players on the water seem a bit disadvantaged now).

But overall, a great map.

post-15092-0-15419900-1398859639_thumb.p

• Like 1

Thanks for all those constructive feedback so far! :D

Well, all those fog / post proc setting should undergo some fine tuning.

Thing is that it is pretty hard to use much forest ground textures. In the open it doesn't look good and painting it only nearby forests is pretty hard, but I think I discovered something that would enable that. But my main focus is in the lake at first, since that is the worst looking part.

Indeed. Let's put a wagon there with some jugglers and our rendered knight (with your textures) there. Then we have a nice setting.

Also Robin Hood now should be test platform for Hybrid Hannibal AI. And Robin Hood could fit into the scenery too.

Edited by Hephaestion
  • Like 1

Looking really good! I must agree though on sanderd's observation on having trees nearer the lake (not the whole lake mind you, but only part of the circle). I don't mind the fog though, it adds more ambience in the scenario. When do I get Robin Hood in my own 0 AD copy, Hephaestion? :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain to me how the numbers work in CreateObjectGroups?

var group = new SimpleGroup(	[new SimpleObject(oFish, 2,3, 0,2)],	false);createObjectGroups(group, 0,	stayClasses(clWater, 0),	scaleByMapSize(1000, 2000), 1000);

Whatever value I use in the second last line, still almost none appear.