Idea: Add Barbarians

siriannn

Hi guys I thought of a cool idea I'm not sure how hard it is going to make it and if it is going to be made I'm not sure how much in the future. Anyway I thought that wouldn't it be cool that there were barbarians like any type of empire or even a specific barbarian race! The barbarians could be just like people wandering around and when they attack you they burn your buildings like a raid or completely destroy them depending what difficulty you set them on ( if on easy they might attack you not raid you in late game ). Also talking about raiding since buildings can be repaired easily the barbarians can take hostage of people and when I mean that as in there is a special building for barbarians that has hostages inside them ( and you can see what units they are ) and when you break the building the hostages no matter if they were your allly's or your enemy's hostage it will become yours, note that the hostages have to be on foot not on horses or a siege tank it has to be a person that walks also the hostages cannot be OP e.g a hero cannot be captured because it is not really fair. Another thing about raiding is that when they have hostages in the building the hostages slowly turn into barbarians (probably into weak barbarians) or slowly die or there will be too many hostages. Another part of this idea is that barbarians can capture buildings from players if there is no one around/near the building ( they capture it by consuming units ). What would be really cool is that the barbarians could have a starting base and starting troops and at their capital ( now I have 2 ideas what will happen at their capital, unless you want to merge ideas together and edit it I don't mind ) By the way talking about the hostages when they turn into barbarians from where the hostage building is ( hopefully near the capital ) the units population will belong to the nearest capital. ( WHEN BARBARIAN CAPITALS SPAWN IT HAS 2-3 HOSTAGE BUILDINGS NEXT TO IT OR NEAR IT AND HAS WOODEN WALLS IF ENOUGH SPACE, ALSO THAT SOME BARBARIANS WILL NOT SPAWN WITH A CAPITAL OR HOSTAGE BUILDINGS BUT WITH MORE UNITS SO THAT THEY CAN CAPTURE CAPITALS )
Idea 1:

The capital has a aura that will slowly generate ( spawn ) barbarians ( ONE THING TO MENTION NOT BARBARIAN WORKERS THERE WILL BE NO BARBARIAN WORKERS BECAUSE THEY DONT NEED WORKERS ) that would be A.I controlled and that there is a population limit e.g one capital counts as 20 people ( to get more capitals they capture your main building that you start with. ) and that they can move units from capital to capital ( what I'm trying to say is that a capital can only have e.g 20 max people that it spawned alive at the same time but can still move to units to other capitals ) to defend themselves. Also any type of the barbarian units can make wooden walls that have like 500 health each??? ( PLEASE NOTE THAT BARBARIANS CAN BE ANYTHING BUT WAR MACHINES AND THAT NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF MOVING UNIT THAT THE BARBARIANS OWN IT ONLY COUNTS AS ONE UNIT POPULATION )

Idea 2:

The capital can train units ( but not workers or war machines as I said ) and units can build houses for more population ( max population depends on difficulty of barbarians ) and also can build walls. Your probably thinking hmm why would they train units if they run out, well I think that there resources will regenerate slowly or fast ( also depending on difficulty or have a separate option that can change resources regenerate rate ).

WHAT WOULD BE SERIOUSLY EPIC IS THAT THERE IS A OPTION THAT COULD ENABLE / DISABLE BARBARIANS. ANYWAY THE THING THAT WOULD BE EPIC IS THAT IF YOU PUT BARBARIAN DIFFICULTY ON VERY HARD OR EVEN EXTREME!?!?! AND RESOURCE STARTING FOR BARBARIANS DEATHMATCH, YOU WOULD BE SCREWED.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION IS WHEN THE BARBARIANS CAPTURE BUILDINGS E.G HOUSES THEIR POPULATION LIMIT GOES UP BUT IF THEY GET LIKE A BARRACKS OR SOMETHING EITHER IT MAKES NOTHING OR MAKES/SPAWNS (DEPENDING ON WHAT IDEA YOU CHOOSE ) UNITS FAIRLY SLOWER ( NOT THAT MUCH SLOWER THOUGH DEPENDS ON DIFFICULTY AGAIN ) AND A OPTIONAL TWEAK FOR THEIR BARRACKS WOULD BE THAT IT TURNS INTO A BARBARIAN BARRACKS.

Anyway I thank you to for reading this topic I will post further ideas on this as a reply or as another topic so stay tuned in.

By the way I would love if this idea could be put in I might help with some artwork <--- IM NOT THE BEST OK :D!! I might donate because of 2 reasons this idea would be cool and I agree that it can be very hard to add since your still in alpha and already have plans and also I might donate because I love 0A.D its a game it reminds me of very good moments with friends that I had long time ago and most importantly It kind of reminds me of my dog for some reason (maybe I played AOE with my dog on my lap or something ) and I have to give my dog away in May 2014 or even put her to sleep :'(!!

Ok I'm going to play 0A.D now bye I'll probably post some more ideas later stay tuned in for more interesting things!!!

-siriannn

"May the forums ever be in your favour."

Edited by siriannn
added a more specific title so one can get an idea what this topic is about

I'm sorry, but your post is very hard to read. It looks like you're throwing all sorts of suggested and even planned features on a pile.

In any way, when we have triggers, map makers will be able to do all these sorts of things. (except capturing, as that's not implemented yet).

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but your post is very hard to read. It looks like you're throwing all sorts of suggested and even planned features on a pile.

In any way, when we have triggers, map makers will be able to do all these sorts of things. (except capturing, as that's not implemented yet).

Im sorry I will edit it

It might be an idea indeed for a game mode. (Fight the Barbarians/Pirates or so)

In this mode there are/is a (few) raider settlement(s) who are controlled by the AI. They mainly raid and get resources for it to expand. If you are too weak, so the enemy will become stronger and wipe you out. Therefore it is needed to protect your citizens and your base. By strengthening yourself, your enemy will be weakened because of the died soldiers and no resources to create new. Finally it will be relatively easy to destroy the enemy base and win the game. Of course there are tons of other gameplay features that could be added to make this game mode even more interesting (like trade routes to defend etc.)

• Like 1

It might be an idea indeed for a game mode. (Fight the Barbarians/Pirates or so)

In this mode there are/is a (few) raider settlement(s) who are controlled by the AI. They mainly raid and get resources for it to expand. If you are too weak, so the enemy will become stronger and wipe you out. Therefore it is needed to protect your citizens and your base. By strengthening yourself, your enemy will be weakened because of the died soldiers and no resources to create new. Finally it will be relatively easy to destroy the enemy base and win the game. Of course there are tons of other gameplay features that could be added to make this game mode even more interesting (like trade routes to defend etc.)

I mentioned that they have a population limit depending on difficulty so it won't be that hard e.g Easy = 50? Medium = 100 etc. I agree with you that there can be a game mode for it but I'm not sure if I mentioned ( I think I did ) that you could turn barbarians on or off.

• 5 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 5:17 PM, niektb said:

barbarian units could have power like Iberian champ cav. As tarkans have a special power against building in aoe2(huns).

18 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

a reply from 2014  post huh?

I did not saw that before and also did not saw the date.

other wise I don't have any work as I am banned from lobby. 

I would like to see a barbarian civ in main game.

there also could be additional villages(AI) for diplo/trade. additional army(AI commander) to recruit as mercenary. it can give player a imperial feel.

:)

Edited by soshanko