Convert existing circle map to square map?

Leroy30

That's very much possible :) Just open up the XML file for the map in a text editor and change the line

"CircularMap": true,

to

"CircularMap": false,

and save the file :) (I think it's best if you do this when you don't have the map open in Atlas =) But apart from that there shouldn't be any issues :) )

That's very much possible :) Just open up the XML file for the map in a text editor and change the line

"CircularMap": true,
to

"CircularMap": false,
and save the file :) (I think it's best if you do this when you don't have the map open in Atlas =) But apart from that there shouldn't be any issues :) )
work with every map?

I don't like square maps, the corners are not realistic, especially if spotted for, e.g., defense purposes. Borders on a circle map are all the same in the map. In the past there were, however, some bugs with circle maps, like units disappearing out of the border, but I don't see any longer these problems recently.

I think there were some discussions about completely removing square maps.

A bad thing about them is how ugly they look on the minimap with all the black borders.

That could be improved, but we're somewhat limited by the proposed minimap UI design, which has buttons fitted tightly around a circular map. For example, the background texture could be changed from solid black to something more coherent, and the rest of the minimap UI adapted.

Internally of course, all maps are rectangular grids and we assume in lots of places that the grid is square (so we don't support rectangles generally). Still, I think it would be more effort to remove square map support, than to continue to support them as an option.

@Lion.Kanzen:

If you mean you want to get a square map from a circular (finished) map that only includes "designed" terrain (so it's smaller, 1 / 2^0.5 the size):

ATM there's no way to do this because maps size can't be changed (at least not in Atlas).

I don't think that would be a very helping feature though.

A "reduce map size" function could help though that opens a size selection and then show a square of this size to be dragged to the part of the map wanted. Confirming would then reload the map containing only that area.

Only supporting the default map sizes would lead to a lot of space lost, though (because the map width would decrease to 1/2 and not only to 0.707...).

Still not sure if worth the effort of implementing it.

Edited by FeXoR

[..]

ATM there's no way to do this because maps size can't be changed (at least not in Atlas).

[...]

Go to the Terrain tab, and check what's under Misc tools ;):) In other words, there already is a resize map tool. It only uses the default sizes, so it might not be perfect for what you describe however, and it's a very generic size changing function, so you have no control over it really.

Go to the Terrain tab, and check what's under Misc tools ;):) In other words, there already is a resize map tool. It only uses the default sizes, so it might not be perfect for what you describe however, and it's a very generic size changing function, so you have no control over it really.

"Resize map" should definitely be extended to allow manual input (as well as default sizes), and then also choose the "origin point" for the resize. Right now, it is the bottom left corner, which is not good for all cases, so it should be possible to be able to choose any corner or 'center' as an option.

Oh, yes, didn't expect it there.

Are entities/actors remove from the unplayable map parts?

"Resize map" should definitely be extended to allow manual input (as well as default sizes), and then also choose the "origin point" for the resize. Right now, it is the bottom left corner, which is not good for all cases, so it should be possible to be able to choose any corner or 'center' as an option.

I agree.

Some things nice to have would be:

- Eventually remove "border fog" to see if entities are there (If happening in any case)

- Choose map shape when resizing

- Choose center of the resized map (Should be the center of the old map by default IMO)

- Enable to choose a generic (square ATM since some functions assume (bad) that the map is square AFAIK) new map size (AFAIK no problems with that?).

Edited by FeXoR

Are entities/actors remove from the unplayable map parts?

No. In fact I just tested and they aren't removed at all, so as the tool itself says - probably best to only use on blank maps in the current state.

And about those other things, please make a new post rather than edit your old one, it's impossible for everyone to keep track of edits. New posts are a lot better unless it was just seconds since the original post was posted :) (And that is a more general comment and not intended to be criticism or anything :) )

EDIT:

Ok, now it was so long time between me starting to write the above and finishing it that you were able to edit your post in between =) No harm done, just generally not recommended as it's easy to miss :)

feneur: I totally agree with the editing thing, sry.

(Just thought since no one replied yet this would be OK but I shouldn't have posted an unfinished post in the first place. I'll keep that in mind)

It's fine. It's just that even if no one has replied they might have read it already, or as I did, have had it open in their browser for a while. And then you have to manually refresh the page to see it :) Which I can't say I do, especially since the forum software gives you a notice if someone has posted something while you were writing :)

• 2 months later...