Black Death may have scuppered Roman Empire (NewScientist)

The Plague of Justinian (AD 541–542) was a pandemic that afflicted the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire), including its capital Constantinople. It has been called one of the greatest plagues in history. Recent research confirms that the cause of the pandemic was bubonic plague. The plague's social and cultural impact during the period of Justinian has been compared to that of the Black Death. In the views of some 6th-century Western historians, the plague epidemic was nearly worldwide in scope, striking central and south Asia; North Africa and Arabia;[citation needed] and Europe all the way to Denmark and Ireland.[citation needed] Genetic studies point to China as having been the primary source of the contagion.[2]

Throughout the Mediterranean basin, until about 750, the plague returned in each generation[citation needed]. The waves of disease had a major effect on the future course of European history. Modern historians named this plague incident after the Eastern Roman Emperor Justinian I, who was in power at the time of the initial outbreak; he contracted the disease himself yet survived.

I think what's interesting in that article is the theory (it was proven through analysis I think) that the two plagues this one and the one in medieval time - arose independent of one another. In other words it's theoretically possible we could see another plague today especially in some of the poorer, crowded cities of the world.

It's a slightly scary thought but from where I'm sitting - I think the hygiene in Western cities and many other cities is good enough that the chances of another plague are probably low. I'd be worried for people living in slums in say Mumbai, India for example.

I think what's interesting in that article is the theory (it was proven through analysis I think) that the two plagues this one and the one in medieval time - arose independent of one another. In other words it's theoretically possible we could see another plague today especially in some of the poorer, crowded cities of the world.

It's a slightly scary thought but from where I'm sitting - I think the hygiene in Western cities and many other cities is good enough that the chances of another plague are probably low. I'd be worried for people living in slums in say Mumbai, India for example.

India have never had plagues because though a huge percentage are poor, they are the clean people.

For 3rd countries that are more prone to plagues will be the African countries.

But if there's any plague that will appear from nowhere, I'm putting my money on the west lol... It will emerge out of some lab experiment, or be some type of a mutant bacteria or virus that has slowly been consuming GM crops. The likelihood of this is quite high. We have already observed the effects of GM corn which is consumed by bacteria develop its own pesticide, that when they break down the corn in the digestive tract of animals and humans, the bacteria are then effected, and start intoxicating its system with the pesticide.

Like everything else, its the greed of corporation THAT WANT NOW for a quick profit, instead of extensive research in the "cause" and "effect" of trying to play god.

So this is where something like a plague is most likely to arise.

The second would be biological weapons and the experimentation occurring in those fields might produce a "leak" which could lead to a serious pandemic outbreak.

New communicable diseases tend to come from areas where there is a lot of animal to human contact. Animal bacteria and viruses mutate, then make the jump to humans. Quite a few diseases have developed this way. HIV is thought to have arisen from mutated SIV (simian, e.g. ape, HIV). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_immunodeficiency_virus

Clean...*cough cough*...

I actually meant clean as in healthy.

And no, some places are filthy but compared to the rest of the world India is clean. Believe me.

New communicable diseases tend to come from areas where there is a lot of animal to human contact. Animal bacteria and viruses mutate, then make the jump to humans. Quite a few diseases have developed this way. HIV is thought to have arisen from mutated SIV (simian, e.g. ape, HIV). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_immunodeficiency_virus

Wrong.

Viruses mutate regardless of animal to human ratio.

Viruses, germs, bacteria are constantly changing and adapting due to the advent of medicine.

Think of exploits and patches in a similar way, if understand code.

And HIV is found in every species. It only proves positive if it passes a certain threshold. Depends our concentrate the blood is. Standard tests are conducted around 1:400 blood dilution, tests prove possible either case at 1:1 undiluted blood sample.

Wrong.

Viruses, germs, bacteria are constantly changing and adapting due to the advent of medicine.

Wrong.

Viruses mutate always, iregardless of medicine. While malware writers search for specific exploits.

Wrong.

Sigh. Viruses (and bacteria) constantly mutate, however, animal viruses and bacteria generally do not infect human hosts unless they mutate in a way that is compatible for human infection. Furthermore, these mutated viruses and bacteria likely will not make the jump to humans unless the animals from which they originate are in some way in close proximity to humans. Say, via hunting or herding these animals. In the West, for better and for worse, we are very much isolated from animals on a day to day basis. In other parts of the world, again for better and for worse, people are not isolated from animals on a day by day basis. In those situations, mutated viruses and bacteria have a better chance of infecting people and potentially starting a new pandemic. This has been the fear for a long time.

See Avian Influenza.

Wrong.

Viruses mutate always, iregardless of medicine. While malware writers search for specific exploits.

Nope I'm not wrong ;)

Viruses don't always mutate unless there's a need to. In some viruses mutations occurs regularly, constantly resisting the other changes of viruses that attack it.

If an operating system is constantly being exploited by injecting the same bit of code, without being patched, why should I search for more exploits?

Programmers are lazy and so are viruses.

I actually meant clean as in healthy.

And no, some places are filthy but compared to the rest of the world India is clean. Believe me.

Umm...I live in India, so I know what I'm talking about, believe me. Heavily populated areas are terrible, hygiene, if you don't count the upper castes, is not anything great. People spit in open public places, like here or here. A walk through an Indian city will tell you everything. If we're healthy its because our immune systems have learnt to adapt to extreme circumstances :P

• Like 1

Romulus, I suggest you read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Yeah read it then come and criticize me lolz

(though I don't know a lot about HIV specifically).

Are you sure about that? The way I see it, you don't know a lot about this subject either.

Umm...I live in India, so I know what I'm talking about, believe me. Heavily populated areas are terrible, hygiene, if you don't count the upper castes, is not anything great. People spit in open public places, like here or here. A walk through an Indian city will tell you everything. If we're healthy its because our immune systems have learnt to adapt to extreme circumstances :P

Umm WELL THEN WHAT'S YOUR POINT????

If India is @#$% and filthy like you "claim" it is, then why hasn't there been a plague?????

lol.... Ehh

Now seen as though the "know it alls" are partaking in this thread, I'm parting.

Edited by Romulus