Massive map (WIP)

Leroy30

This is definitely going to take some time.

12359036535_49c4b887b2.jpg

BTW if anyone wants to have a play around with what I have so far here's the files:

http://websudoku.co.nz/downloads/map001.zip

For best results (as you see in my pics) you'll need to turn on all the optional graphics enhancements. Otherwise it will look a bit lame.

Here's how:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings

• Like 1

That would be awesome! It should have several options: Thick Forest, Normal Forest and Sparse Forest.

EDIT: And add forest textures to the ground as well

Why not just have a 'density' value instead of just thick, normal and sparse?

Hmm or something like:

Core density: The density of the trees at the center of the radius

Outer density: The density of the trees at the out edge of the radius

Density jitter: The randomness of the density. For example a strong jitter will produce clumps or trees and clumps of emptyness whereas a low jitter will make it a very evenly spread randomness (in conformity to the core and outer densities as well).

Size jitter: The randomness of the size/scale of the objects being placed.

Brush radius: The size of the brush.

It's always the end-user who wants the programmer to do the most work! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

btw -- I wish we could get rid of the blackness that reflects in the ocean when we zoom out for screenshots. Also, need to do something to prevent the map from disappearing behind the skybox.

Agreed!

Haven't done any more lately; super busy with work at the moment but haven't forgotten about it!

btw -- I wish we could get rid of the blackness that reflects in the ocean when we zoom out for screenshots. Also, need to do something to prevent the map from disappearing behind the skybox.

When you zoom out "too far" the map starts to recede behind the skybox. Thing is, for large maps you need to zoom out that far to get a good map preview image.

Both were the same issue and are fixed in SVN. I've changed the behavior slightly too (it scrolls lightly now when you move over the map) but I can change that back.

• Like 2