Exclude from loading?

niektb

What I want to know is how to exclude unit properties and civs from loading.

For example:

The viking female unit shouldn't be able to build farmsteads because the house already functions that way, still other civs do have to build it. How do I exclude parts the parent template from loading?

Other: How do I exclude already existing civs from loading when I start a mod?

• Like 1

What I want to know is how to exclude unit properties and civs from loading.

For example:

The viking female unit shouldn't be able to build farmsteads because the house already functions that way, still other civs do have to build it. How do I exclude parts the parent template from loading?

Other: How do I exclude already existing civs from loading when I start a mod?

for viking female you only need edit the simulation/templates/unit_suppeort_female_citizen

<Builder>

<Rate>1.0</Rate>

<Entities datatype="tokens">

structures/{civ}_house

structures/{civ}_storehouse

structures/{civ}_farmstead

structures/{civ}_field

structures/{civ}_corral

structures/{civ}_dock

structures/{civ}_temple

structures/{civ}_market

structures/{civ}_civil_centre

</Entities>

</Builder>

I think I'm not clear enough, my first question (how to remove parts of the parent template) is answered.

My second question is how to exclude certain civs and therefore making them unselectable when starting a game.

Ah lol, that's defined in the civs json file. Take a look at the generic hellenes or celts for that. Something like "selectableInGamesetup".

Couldn't you guys make a Mod Folder which the game would load prior to the rest of the files ? That way there would be no conflict nor overwritten files, =)

"Overwriting" is just a way to explain it. In fact, the virtual file system takes the file that exists in the mod with the highest priority. The default "public" mod has the lowest priority, so if you also define the athen.json file f.e. in your mod, the VFS will read that file, and not the file from the main game.

Ah, right. Changing that should be easy, but I'm not sure if adding a command line switch to disable that loading, or requiring explicit loading of the public mod is worth the effort if nobody really needs it currently.

For now it would probably more or less just be useful for testing to find out if you've defined something yourself (so you know it works the way you want it to) or if it just is carried over from the default. It could also be useful for total conversion type mods, but in that case it's probably more likely that it will be distributed as a game of its own anyway and then it can just as well be removed completely. (Assuming the game doesn't run amok if the public mod isn't available?)

• 1 year later...

I have a similar question as niektb:

How do you exclude single structures (from public mod) from appearing in the game? For example, I am trying to prevent the "Taberna" from being able to the Gauls.

I already tried the following without any success (the building was still shown in the structure tree as well as they were able to be built in the game):

- changing <Civ>gaul</Civ> to <Civ></Civ>

- adding ".DELETED" to the file name

- deleting the content of gaul_tavern.xml (this lead to loading errors of the mod)

Perhaps there is a simple way to prevent files from the original public mod from loading? Would love to learn it.

Greetings

I have a similar question as niektb:

How do you exclude single structures (from public mod) from appearing in the game? For example, I am trying to prevent the "Taberna" from being able to the Gauls.

I already tried the following without any success (the building was still shown in the structure tree as well as they were able to be built in the game):

- changing <Civ>gaul</Civ> to <Civ></Civ>

- adding ".DELETED" to the file name

- deleting the content of gaul_tavern.xml (this lead to loading errors of the mod)

Perhaps there is a simple way to prevent files from the original public mod from loading? Would love to learn it.

Greetings

In the gaul unit templates you need to remove the building usually '-' + 'name of building' without quotes.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer! Do i understand correctly that i have to remove the building from every unit which can build it? That would be an okay solution. But will the building get removed from the ingame tech tree this way?

Edited by Temudjin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...