==[TASK]==[EyeCandy]== Fountains

Do we have any Roman fountains in the game? If not, I think we are missing out:

"Ancient Rome was a city of fountains. According to Sextus Julius Frontinus, the Roman consul who was named curator aquarum or guardian of the water of Rome in 98 AD, Rome had nine aqueducts which fed 39 monumental fountains and 591 public basins, not counting the water supplied to the Imperial household, baths and owners of private villas. Each of the major fountains was connected to two different aqueducts, in case one was shut down for service. The Romans were able to make fountains jet water into the air, by using the pressure of water flowing from a distant and higher source of water to create hydraulic head, or force. Illustrations of fountains in gardens spouting water are found on wall paintings in Rome from the 1st century BC, and in the villas of Pompeii."

Maybe someone can find sources as to which extent fountains were used in the republican period.

cfQY4s.jpg ecysGs.jpg Caj0Bs.jpg X9INvs.jpg VJYZns.jpg

We can probably do a decent animation of spouting water with a few particles or some such.

Edited by zoot

I think fountains would look good, but what purpose should they serve in-game?

They could have a healing aura, slowly healing any nearby injured units?

I was mostly thinking of them as being integrated with existing buildings/models (i.e. eye candy). For instance, it would make a lot of sense (IMO) to have a fountain(s) on the Civic Centre to symbolize the generic public water system.

Your suggestion is good too, though.

The main problem with fountains and water on objects is the water material... What last time I checked (January this year) we were no able to put on models (besides the standard water plane).

If you guys can crack it, well, them things just got "epicer"

Interesting! I have no doubt in my mind that myconid and wraitii would be able to fix that in mere instants :)

One-minute case study on the architecture of a Roman fountain:

(This was dedicated in 92 A.D., but from what I read, fountains and baths were already commonplace in the late republican period.)

A two-minute overview of the management of water in imperial Rome:

Edited by zoot

Might be a good use for animated textures, especially for small pools of water, aqueducts, fountains, etc. Possibly combined with particles but I think we should not overdo particles. A similar effect could be achieved with a mesh shaped like a fountain of water, with an animated texture applied to it, animated in the direction of water flow. A specular map could be applied to it as well to give an added boost. Something fancy could be done with shaders, but then non-shader hardware misses out on this simple effect. I think this would add a lot of life to the game (water is essential for life after all).

If you guys want to work on generic animated textures next, it would be great to have (y)

• 1 year later...

Ok related to Fountain, I found some interesting article.

Water Fountain

You must have read several articles concerning the water fountains but this article meant to talk about the history of the Persian period and what importance it associated with water gardens.

It will be surprising to know that during the 19century BC, during the rise of Persian Empire the concept of garden was related to paradise. In Iraq which was called as the dry stony lands the small enclaves of civilisation used to depend upon the concept of meagre supply of water which came from several kilometres from the mountains. However the areas where water could be like a rich oasis, that place would be considered as a heaven on earth that showed up beautiful flowers, fruits, and plants.

Hence what we saw was that those who were privileged enough could receive the main supply of the water distributed to the properties through irrigation channels while only the excess would send to the rest of the community. As per the enclosures of the privileged class they were seen decorated with huge plantation with fruiting tress and fragrant arbours where animals could roam in and people could play any sport.

For your information I would like to say that the word paradise has its origin from the Persian word Paradaeza which means enclosed space. From this word only came in the concept of Gods creation on earth.

-------second par timeframe 0AD.-----------------------------------------------

However a completely symbolic meaning was attached to the concept of paradise in the period of Sassinid of Persian Empire. The gods creation, garden was all given a symbolic representation. This symbolic identity led to the division of the garden into four quarters meeting at the centre which showed the universe into four forms like a tree and in the centre there was a water fountain representing the tree of life. With this concept we came to know about the Garden of Eden. In my graduation time I read the book called paradise lost in which we read about the Garden of Eden and that was a mirror image of this model. Now what I have told you, you can guess it that the idea of garden evolved from that very period.

http://hydra-aqua.com/blog/history-of-persian-empire-related-to-the-water-fountains/

oWhd3DP.png

I mostly of pictures the Persian fountain are rectangles and very large, like the one you can see in raj mahal palace.

Mughal gardens are a group of gardens built by the Mughals in the Persian style of architecture(I'm not sure if Achemenid, but may be not, but is important know if this gardens have ancient influences like Babylon hanging Gardens ). This style was heavily influenced by the Persian gardens particularly the Charbagh structure.[1] Significant use of rectilinear layouts are made within the walled enclosures. Some of the typical features include pools, fountains and canals inside the gardens

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Qlne6QZ.png

Is not exactly Persian(is Babylonian style) or primary source but I don't find more best than this. And not bad and is possibly.

jjzDQoo.png

This modern but all representation have this pattern

3175802564_d0ec746f23.jpg

Arge Karim Khan - Shiraz

Ok this most ancient than Persian and Babylonian, sometimes is good see what is before our timeframe to keep in mind history of architecture and art in a constant line of evolve.

SQIBnD9.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

How many triangles are there in your model?

I'm not good with modeling. So it looks rough but maybe it'll help.

1390835018-fountain.png

144 triangles. With additional 3 segments in the round part (total 11 like in your model) 165.

Maybe somebody with modeling skills can help you better.

Edit: If you need some tips I can try to help.

Edited by Strannik