Possible to mod Atlas to allow bigger map sizes?

Leroy30

Is it possible to mod atlas to allow bigger map sizes without recompiling the whole project?

I successfully used notepad to modify the size of a blank map but I would like to make a much larger version of a map from one of the random map scripts. I tried modifying the mapSize variable in the script but it throws an undetermined error in Atlas.

Cheers,

Le-roy

• Like 1

You can import a heightmap (jpg/jpeg or PNG grayscale) of other sizes to get a base for a map.

I don't know the limit (And if I got that right nobody knows ^^) but it seams to depend on the hardware, not only the software.

2048x2048 is possible for me but I don't think such a gigantic map would be suitable to be played.

Edited by FeXoR

I don't know what you have in mind but to play around a bit some links:

Some heightmaps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/heightmap/?page=2

Small, fast and free image viewer that can resize/resample, convert to grayscale, color correction(contrast/gamma) and some global filters (blur).

It also supports many formats. Really one of my favorite programs:

http://www.irfanview.de

PNG pictures are not always imported correctly in Atlas so JPG is the format of my choice.

If the compression create to many artifacts you can lower the compression after editing while saving.

Edited by FeXoR
  • Like 2

Yeah irfanview is great I used it first with Win95 it was the only free image viewer that I could find back then :lol: It's developer has kept it up to date.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Yea, it was only 1.2 MB back then and consisted of the exe file only (so no installation needed). That's my taste of an efficient program ^^.

Thanks FeXoR.

I guess the height map would be a better start than completely blank!

I've always 'fantasised' about a MASSIVE map RPG. One you can sit down and play for weeks on end lol.

You might prefer "Battle for Wesnoth" it has more of a RPG feel to it and large maps can be used by linking the story line to several smaller ones it is turn based so that is why it is not an RTS game as 0AD is.

Enjoy the Choice :)

@ Loki - Whoops. Must have had RPG on my mind as well. I did in fact mean strategy game!

One thing I always loved was empire earth and how it took you through from cave man to future man. Had some epically big games back when I used to play it.

Sadly I have not played games really in many years. Too busy these days!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can import a heightmap (jpg/jpeg or PNG grayscale) of other sizes to get a base for a map.

I don't know the limit (And if I got that right nobody knows ^^) but it seams to depend on the hardware, not only the software.

2048x2048 is possible for me but I don't think such a gigantic map would be suitable to be played.

it's hard enought for some computers to play the bigger map sizes that are already there