===[COMMITTED]=== Farm Beautification

LordGood

Would be nice if they were a bit 'themed', either according to civ or to the map. Lush fields don't fit in a desert (unless you also add irrigation channels on the side, which would look nice as well).

Many things to consider :P lots of extra work...

From what Sander told me this is would be a huge pain in the butt. There's no way of taking biome tags and using them to alter models just yet

It's going to look a little messy, I doubt the ancients could plow mechanically straight rows and have even yield throughout without tractors or fertilizer

We still have plow competitions here, where you have to plow your rows as straight as possible with a horse and a single plow. It ends up pretty straight. Though for sure, not everyone plowed like that, and you still have the fertilizer influence.

And about that per biome field, I said it would be difficult, not a huge pain in the but. But you probably won't find someone to work on it very soon.

Those don't look good. They would seriously clutter up the look of a base.

Then don't put them in your base, isn't that the point?

You're being a bit blunt Micheal, why don't you tell me what you want instead of telling me they look ugly? There's only so much I can do with low poly wheat.

You're being a bit blunt Micheal, why don't you tell me what you want instead of telling me they look ugly? There's only so much I can do with low poly wheat.

I think the approach currently in the game is the best approach right now because of the exact point that there is only so much you can do with low poly wheat.

Having said that though, I encourage you to keep experimenting if you wish and including more "detailed" or "varied" farms in the editor is definitely an option and good for hand-crafted scenarios.

Most fields would still look normal, wouldn't they? With these new ones adding variation?
I don't think they would clutter up your base that much then.

The greyish-green field (bottom) looks most cluttered, possibly because the texture of the plants is too similar to the texture of the decal (I, for one, can't really tell which pixels are part of the decal and which ones are models).

Anyway I think these variations are going to make large areas of fields look much better!

• Like 4

So the bush and shrub farms are fine? I don't want grain to be included only every once in a while; it would just look even more out of place. I really want there to be grain fields though, especially considering the field icon is two bundles of wheat xP

I'll see if I can't edit the wheat and barley textures to better suit the terrain

post-14999-0-65937900-1390410487_thumb.p

post-14999-0-66319100-1390410488_thumb.p

One good thing about the current farm fields is that if you place multiple connected fields, it looks like one big acre.

I think the best would be if it's possible to keep that and still add more variation. Maybe not using different sorts of plants but variations of the same plant.

The sorts of plants could be civ-specific.

The problem of the other props is that they need to make sense visually no matter if the field is surrounded by other fields or if it's a single field or a field on the side.