Sign in to follow this  
MMMTheGamer

Multiplayer bug!

Hey guys. I hope all of you are fine and busy playing 0 A.D :acute: . So, I just played a multiplayer game and in that game I tried to build walls but everytime I try to do that I get disconnected and this message appears "Connection to the server has been lost" and then I have no choice but to exit and join again. Though I get all my progress back but I can't get enough defence :sword_rune: which is kind of annoying :furious: . As a matter of fact this happens in every multiplayer game (I mean only 0 A.D) that I play. I'm sorry if this has been posted before.

Edited by MMMTheGamer

you're using Alpha 15, right? It's strange you have this problem, I've seen games end successfully with walls.

Also, if it would cause a problem, it's very unlikely it will cause a disconnection problem. So how sure are you that's the case? How many times did you experience it?

Yes, I am using Alpha 15 and yes, I am pretty much sure that it causes the disconnect. I don't remember any multiplayer game in which I was able to build walls, not a single one. Just for your concern I will try again and will let you know the result.

Can you also try with a short wall (like only two towers and one piece)? Maybe the message gets too big when there's a long wall. Though it would surprise me.

Well I just went to play online and no one was hosting or wasn't able to host (don't know). I tried to host with all the options that I could edit on my modem and still no luck. So, when I will play an online game I'll surely tell you. I was surprised too and I actually did that again and again in a match just to confirm it. I'll try what you said and will tell you the result.

Ok man now I am darn sure that it causes the disconnect and it's sooooooooooooo annoying. I tried your trick and well it worked on a map where there were already walls. Though I didn't tried on a map without walls. And just know I tried to build walls and I got disconnected and now I can't join again because the server is not showing up. I can see my team member with status "busy". I want to kill myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Edited by MMMTheGamer

Don't kill yourself, it's just a game ... in testing phase, and you've been doing a good job of debugging.

Is there anything else you see repeating? A civ you always use? Does it happen on the placement of the foundation, or when the first piece is build?

I actually choose a random civ all the time. I just select the place on which I have to build the wall and when I click the left mouse button to confirm it, nothing appears on the ground. It's like I did nothing. And after a few seconds I get disconnected.

You mean it happens when you place the first tower? That's strange. That part shouldn't even be network synchronised (your opponent shouldn't see you're placing foundations).

No man you don't understand. Here is the detail:

1. I select some soldiers and then choose the stone wall from the available buildings.

2. I click at a place and then at another place to start building the wall.

3. Nothing appears at the ground like I did nothing at all.

4. After a few seconds I get disconnected.

Man that's strange for me too. I mean seriously? why doesn't it happens on building other structures? :unknw::unknw::unknw::unknw::unknw:

Did you mod something to the game? Also, when placing the foundations, do you see the "preview" walls?

Maybe you can take some screenshots of the different stages.

I only edited the stuff related to water in the local.cfg file. Except that, no moding at all. Yes I can see the preview walls without any problem but when I confirm the wall nothing happens. I just played a game an hour ago and tried your trick once again i.e. building a small wall and it worked. I will post the screenshots as soon as possible.

Ok Sanderd17 time to remove the strangeness. I'll give you a, what should I call it, a scientific explanation about this issue. In simple words, "It is possible that building the walls can cause a disconnect". Below is a complete explanation:

Explanation:

We know that when we build a structure (or a unit) in the game, the details about that structure (or unit) i.e. area covered, place on the map, height etc. is synchronized between me and the host (and other players if any). What is different about the walls is that they cover a large area on the map unlike any other structure and the data which is synchronized is comparatively bigger than a normal structure. And one thing that makes this synchronizing more hard is that we have to build some structures and units to get to the town phase resulting in an increase in the population and map area which is covered. Which also in most cases causes a lag. However, I think that if the server is good enough to synchronize and doesn't causes a lag because of population and structures, then I won't face this problem (though I will have to test this and I know one person that can help me).

Possible Solutions:

1. Official Servers which will definitely be high end. (Though they are not required right now since it's an alpha)

2. Optimization, which is being done right now.

I'll just wait for the beta phase and will continue to help you.

So, am I in consideration for the "Noble Prize" now??? :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

Here you've got your reply.

Basically you're saying that the servers are too slow to sync wall placement. But in that case others should have the problem too. Does anyone has the same problem?

Could you try a LAN-game to see whether the problem is the server or not? (Or something different not using the servers)

Edited by niektb

Not a reply because I don't know the source of the problem. high end servers won't work, as it will cause even more lag. Instead of the commands just going between the host player and the different players, it would also need to go through the separate server.

So we have a server-less design.

Here you've got your reply.

Basically you're saying that the servers are too slow to sync wall placement. But in that case others should have the problem too. Does anyone has the same problem?

Could you try a LAN-game to see whether the problem is the server or not? (Or something different not using the servers)

By server I mean the pc of the host. Don't know about others but this is happening with me. I can build small pieces of walls but as soon as I increase the length I get disconnected. About Lan-Game, I can't. No one's here with whom I can play.

Not a reply because I don't know the source of the problem. high end servers won't work, as it will cause even more lag. Instead of the commands just going between the host player and the different players, it would also need to go through the separate server.

So we have a server-less design.

You mean there will be no official servers?? So, my only hope now is "Optimization".

One thing more. I think the probable reason why others don't face this problem might be because of less distance from the host pc.

Edited by MMMTheGamer

By server I mean the pc of the host. Don't know about others but this is happening with me. I can build small pieces of walls but as soon as I increase the length I get disconnected. About Lan-Game, I can't. No one's here with whom I can play.

You mean there will be no official servers?? So, my only hope now is "Optimization".

One thing more. I think the probable reason why others don't face this problem might be because of less distance from the host pc.

Use hamachi. Which country do you live?

I have tried to reproduce this locally by pausing one of my game instances to fake lag. I can't get a crash to happen.

Do walls work in single player?

I don't think the network synchronisation is the problem. Not much data is sent over the network, pretty much just the players commands then the game uses these to affect the simulation state identically on each players machine.

The game is designed in a way that is almost symmetrical between all players, the host machine only handles passing messages around, so having special servers won't help.

I have tried to reproduce this locally by pausing one of my game instances to fake lag. I can't get a crash to happen.Do walls work in single player?I don't think the network synchronisation is the problem. Not much data is sent over the network, pretty much just the players commands then the game uses these to affect the simulation state identically on each players machine.The game is designed in a way that is almost symmetrical between all players, the host machine only handles passing messages around, so having special servers won't help.

There is absolutely no problem with walls in single player. The reason for why I think it's the synchronization problem is that the game disconnects just when I build walls. I can build small pieces of wall. I have no problem with the gameplay in single player.

Have you posted logs from one of the games yet? That might contain some useful info, in particular mainlog.html and the matching commands.txt (inside sim_log, try sorting by date to find the one you want) from the game's log directory. If the files are too large to attach, you can zip them.

I can send you the mainlog.html file through pm since it contains the password (it's hashed but still I don't want anyone to have it). However, I don't know which commands.txt file I should attach.