Sign in to follow this  
Romulus

Forest Plantation

Like farms, suppose we can plant forests with a diverse range of seed, once forests become barren.

But trees have to take a long time to grow, otherwise this will be unrealistic.

• Like 3

for now the lag isn't good idea. but Berrie Bushes are right.

Well for now with the current lag, this is a big no,no haha

But maybe close to release, it would be nice to see us able to plant things too.

But I can see what would happen here..... the AI planting trees right on their CC like those darn farms :|

I changed my mind, no planting!

Well for now with the current lag, this is a big no,no haha

But maybe close to release, it would be nice to see us able to plant things too.

But I can see what would happen here..... the AI planting trees right on their CC like those darn farms :|

I changed my mind, no plant

AI can be scripted you know or there can be a trigger or somthing added on the CC so they cant plant in that trigger.

AI can be scripted you know or there can be a trigger or somthing added on the CC so they cant plant in that trigger.

I was accused in The Centurion thread, for starting this topic as if I was being contradicting lol

No. This seems to be a good idea, but only if its done right.

But it should be a gaia process that takes a long @#$% time to grow. Otherwise yeah unrealistic. No go.

Yes I know. So trees can take 3 hours in the game :)

With few games taking longer than 1 hour, I think it's really worth the programming and art effort to achieve this :D

Most matches should be over well before 3 hours. I don't mean that the game shouldn't be possible to play for 3 hours or more, just that it's not a priority to implement something that will not be seen in most games. Also, I haven't really seen any convincing arguments why this would be a good idea/improve gameplay, or even be realistic. I can't say I'm an expert, but I don't know any examples of any significant forest plantation in this era. Rather the opposite, though most of the deforestation might have been before the game's time period.

With few games taking longer than 1 hour, I think it's really worth the programming and art effort to achieve this :D

Ok so I was maybe out...

How about 59 minutes? :D

Most matches should be over well before 3 hours. I don't mean that the game shouldn't be possible to play for 3 hours or more, just that it's not a priority to implement something that will not be seen in most games. Also, I haven't really seen any convincing arguments why this would be a good idea/improve gameplay, or even be realistic. I can't say I'm an expert, but I don't know any examples of any significant forest plantation in this era. Rather the opposite, though most of the deforestation might have been before the game's time period.

Yeah, which is I said a Gaia mechanic.

Gaia automatically grows trees after long periods of time.

Okay let me be honest and tell you why I had this idea...

Think of AOE days... I love keep the match going on forever. I'm just like that... I love to maintain a game and keep it from ending.

But in AOE you get those times where look at the deforestation, and land been stripped of everything that was on it, and you think... Man... Its a shame.

How nice if you could see the trees grow back and animals respawn... (Specially the fish for the love of christ) but you always feel "darn" that sadness that there's nothing more but barren land. Kills the game...

Imagine a game that lives like nature....... Think about it :)

• Like 3

Imagine a game that lives like nature....... Think about it :)

0 A.D. is a game of war, not of admiring nature, think about that ;) (I'll elaborate a bit more in the infinite farming thread)

• Like 2

In stronghold the trees seed and grow slowly and the animals have babies that grow as well. Stronghold was my all time favourite. To people like my the little details matter.

I love collecting resources, building an empire and a castle that looks good as well as functions good. Building something great and keeping it all looking amazing is half the fun.