Sign in to follow this  
MMMTheGamer

2 questions about multiplayer.

Hi guys. Hope all of you are fine. So, I got 2 questions about playing the game online.

1st Question: Why do we need to register for the multiplayer separately?

2nd Question: Why can't I host or join an online game, when my Upnp port (20595) is enabled?

My modem settings are shown in the screenshot. Upnp is enabled.

post-15951-0-47290700-1389681042_thumb.p

Answer to question 1: You're registering on the lobby server, not specificially for the multiplayer. (Or am I understanding your question wrong and do you mean separate from the forum / trac? In that case I don't know the answer.)

Answer to question 1: You're registering on the lobby server, not specificially for the multiplayer. (Or am I understanding your question wrong and do you mean separate from the forum / trac? In that case I don't know the answer.)

Yep you didn't understood the question. I was talking about the forum account because most of the online games use the same account.

For point 1: there are a lot of reasons.

First, it's just because the game is still in development (it's the first version of the lobby), and it was easier this way. We're using standard libraries, both with password hashing, but different hashes. So we don't know your password, and we can't compare the two either.

Having synced accounts would also require cooperation with the web team, working with this database of accounts (including the chance to screw up the database) and on top of it, it it would create a lot of unused accounts (in both ways).

We also want the game to be free in any sense. So people also can start their own lobby server, but for us, it's impossible to free these forums. So we can't tie the two together very firmly.

In short, it's much simpler, and multiplayer users don't have to go through to much effort now anyway, as they don't even need to wait for a confirmation email.

For the second point, I have no idea.

Thanks for the detailed reply sanderd17. You actually got into my mind. I was thinking about the security of my multiplayer account and you just cleared it out. So, no more questions about the account stuff. But I still want an answer to my second question. Plz do tell me when you find a solution to my problem. Otherwise I'll wait for alpha 16 cause I read the new development report and I think the multiplayer stuff will get solved in it.

For the second question, have you enabled the port for both your modem and your firewall? For some people that's needed to host. You should be able to join even without having it enabled at all though.

For the second question, have you enabled the port for both your modem and your firewall? For some people that's needed to host. You should be able to join even without having it enabled at all though.

Well I am using Ubuntu and I am new to it. So, I don't know if there is any builtin firewall installed. Right now I am on my tablet so I can't check it now. And one thing more, when I host a game I can see people joining and I can even chat with them but as I start the game, the game gets stuck on "waiting for other players to connect...". This happens after the map gets loaded.

Waiting for other players happens not because you can't host, but because some people take longer to connect due to their computer/net speeds. If too long passes and none connects, I don't know what it is.

Ubuntu most certainly does have a built-in firewall: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UncomplicatedFirewall

It's just a simplified frontend for the standard iptables.

Thanks for the link bro. I'll try tweaking the firewall and I'll will give the report.

Waiting for other players happens not because you can't host, but because some people take longer to connect due to their computer/net speeds. If too long passes and none connects, I don't know what it is.

While on this "waiting for other players to connect..." Screen, a player joined and the game downloaded something ( a 400+ KB file) but the game didn't started. Edited by MMMTheGamer

Just wanted to update you guys that I checked my firewall status and it's inactive by default. So, I think firewall is out discussion.

Yes that is Ubuntu's default for the firewall other distros have it on by default so it's hard to generalize for all Linux.

Enjoy the Choice :)

What device is behind your modem?

Is it a switch or an access point or more like a router that has clearly separated LAN and WAN connectors?

I've heard that some people need to port-forward twice but I have never seen that setup myself.

Please provide as much information as you can.

What's your modem's IP address, what's your computer's IP address? I assume it's 192.168.1.2 for the computer.

If you make it all the way to "Waiting for other players to connect" there's no problem with your firewall but a problem with someone else's computer/network.

Before I answer your questions I would like to tell you guys that finally I was able to play an online game last night without any problem.

What device is behind your modem?

Is it a switch or an access point or more like a router that has clearly separated LAN and WAN connectors?

I've heard that some people need to port-forward twice but I have never seen that setup myself.

Please provide as much information as you can.

What's your modem's IP address, what's your computer's IP address? I assume it's 192.168.1.2 for the computer.

I am using a broadband service which is provided by PTCL (The land-line telephone service provider). The modem is provided by my ISP (PTCL ofcourse).

Modem details:

Company: Fiberhome

Model: AN1020-25

Modem IP address: 192.168.1.1

I am not using a static IP address so computer's IP address doesn't matter I think. The IP remains static as long as the modem is on I think.

The setup is like this:

The telephone line comes to my house. It is connected to a DSL filter from which it is distributed to modem and the telephone. So, it is a simple setup. There is no router. I hosted a MW3 server in the past without any problem.

If you make it all the way to "Waiting for other players to connect" there's no problem with your firewall but a problem with someone else's computer/network.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Edited by MMMTheGamer

Just a quick update. Just after posting the above post I hosted a server and a player joined. He said I want roman civ and I gave him that civ. I asked him if he's ready and he said yes. Then I started the game and the map loaded just fine and then came the same screen. The player, I think, got disconnected by the game (reason I am saying this is because this happens all the time) but he rejoined and as he joined the game this came up in the console (on screen also):

INFO: Serializing game at turn 0 for rejoining player.

INFO: Downloading data over network (190 KB) please wait...

INFO: Download Completed.

But the game didn't started.

Edited by MMMTheGamer

If a player disconnects during the loading phase, it is probably necessary to rehost (but hey, you didn't lose that much progress :P). Does this problem occur every time?

Each and every single time.

I did some tests and this is what happens. The players can join my server but they say that they don't see anything like map, players etc. There are many people who have configured their modem/router (like me) and they still can't host.

For some reason I do not understand I have to set UDP Port range 20595 -20595. Single 20595 does not work. Maybe worth to try.

If I understand your post correctly then you are asking that why do we need to set the port range instead of single port??

Well that's how it's done and I think there is no problem in that.

The only reason to require a port range instead of a single port is badly designed router software. This is not related to 0 A.D. It is useful to know in case it helps other people.