===[TASK]=== Moai

Too much verteces and loops in a mesh is a common mistake when you are learning, dont be discouraged by that.

I've taken a lot of old models I did long time ago and I was surprised how many unnecesary polygons I used, and I remade a lot of them with something like 25% of the polys used the first time with the same or even better result.

Since you're working with max I can only give you theoretical details instead of practical ones, but the best one is practice, practice practice and.... practice. Don't give up on organic modelling, if you master it, then hard-surface modelling is a piece of cake.

Also, I don't know if max allows you to import any background image to guide you while modelling, it's a simple yet very helpful feature that blender has, so you can model in top of images to guide you in the modelling process.

I'm glad you're taking this model up again. You do have talent :)

If you should get frustrated again, take a break and start again another day. Ask for help when you need it.

I will try to do so. =)

@stanislas69 why dont you first finish your other projects and then try this again. and maybe you sould not take so many projects at ones.

Well I was waiting for feedback on the Iberian Barracks and the rotary mill, but I understand people have life so I started working on other projects to keep practising and maybe learn some new stuff ;)

Too much verteces and loops in a mesh is a common mistake when you are learning, dont be discouraged by that.

I've taken a lot of old models I did long time ago and I was surprised how many unnecesary polygons I used, and I remade a lot of them with something like 25% of the polys used the first time with the same or even better result.

Since you're working with max I can only give you theoretical details instead of practical ones, but the best one is practice, practice practice and.... practice. Don't give up on organic modelling, if you master it, then hard-surface modelling is a piece of cake.

Also, I don't know if max allows you to import any background image to guide you while modelling, it's a simple yet very helpful feature that blender has, so you can model in top of images to guide you in the modelling process.

It's been ten years since I started modelling and I was expecting a more exponential way of progression. Sadly it's not the case, But every modeler I met or talk too on the forums taught me something, so i'm hoping I'll get a lot better by working on a project that will have a future, which was not the case of the previous one.

About poly's, in my last part time job i took on July, I learned that using quads was better, and it indeed was, though sometimes the polycount suffered a lot. Since I'm not a very good texturer, because i can't really make anything from scratch, sometimes I don't see what can be replaced by a texture, so I use a lot of polys to get exactly the shape I want, because otherwise i feel the model looks bad(I'm not a self confident guy)

I will try to practise more.

It does allow me to do so, but I would need right top bottom and front view, which I have to draw, and i'm not good at drawing sketches, for I haven't practised much again, see the Mine thread for reference, Also, someday i'll need to buy a drawing tablet.

EDIT : Oh and thank you for your support guys it's very heartwarming.

Edited by stanislas69

Quads are better for perhaps highpoly modeling, since industry insist on using *only* Catmull-Clark subdivision algorithms for smoothing, which looks awful for triangles. (They might be slightly more convenient when cutting new edge loops as well, which is why I mostly use them whenever they appear naturally )

But lowpoly models this just doesn't apply. Everything is going to converted to triangles before rendering in the game anyway. So if you have a piece of surface that really is triangular, don't be afraid to insert it. Basically do whatever you want to get a nice edge flow since that makes it easier to do smooth things.

Quads are better for perhaps highpoly modeling, since industry insist on using *only* Catmull-Clark subdivision algorithms for smoothing, which looks awful for triangles. (They might be slightly more convenient when cutting new edge loops as well, which is why I mostly use them whenever they appear naturally )

But lowpoly models this just doesn't apply. Everything is going to converted to triangles before rendering in the game anyway. So if you have a piece of surface that really is triangular, don't be afraid to insert it. Basically do whatever you want to get a nice edge flow since that makes it easier to do smooth things.

I'll try to keep that in mind =)

• 3 weeks later...