Funeral Pyre of Hephaestion

Iskandar

Hi! For the Macedonians, I propose this wonder: the Funeral Pyre of Hephaestion. A gigantic funeral pyre, it was built by Alexander the great, on the occasion of the funeral of its companions (and lover) Hephaestion, dead in Ectabana in the 324 B.C. The pyre was sixty metres high, square in shape and built in stepped levels. The first level was decorated with two hundred and forty ships with golden prows, each of these adorned with armed figures with red banners filling the spaces between. On the second level were torches with snakes at the base, golden wreaths in the middle and at the top, flames surmounted by eagles. The third level showed a hunting scene, and the fourth a battle of centaurs, all done in gold. On the fifth level, also in gold, were lions and bulls, and on the sixth the arms of Macedon and Persia. The seventh and final level bore sculptures of sirens, hollowed out to conceal a choir who would sing a lament. It is possible that the pyre was not burnt, but that it was actually intended as a tomb or lasting memorial; if so, it is likely that it was never completed, as there are references to expensive, uncompleted projects at the time of Alexander's own death. For more information on the structure of the Pyre, http://books.google....estione&f=false

• 3 weeks later...

like i said before, i think this is a brillaint idea for the Macedonians, and is a great compromise between all the iconic buildings that they had historically, especially since this one was so important to Alexander himself. 'cuz lets be honest, he's pretty much the only real pan-Macedonian ruler that there ever was and everything went to pot after he died

• Like 1

It was never built. I'd rather they have a real wonder when we have so many other great structures from this age to choose from.

isn't "this never happened" kinda the point of 0ad? :P i mean, we've got now twelve different factions, hardly any of which encountered each other except for the Romans, and it already takes place in the fictional Year 0, so why not have a planned wonder based on what arguably the most famous (broadly defined) Greek in history wanted to make. besides, the other two main choices, the Library and Lighthouse of Alexandria, are already being adapted as standard buildings for the Macedonians, iirc. and the Funeral Pyre is just plain unique, like White Horse of Uffington unique. there are already so many Wonders (or, truthfully, proposals for them) that are just really big temples.

I'm not just talking about from a realism standpoint. Just from my own perspective a giant pile of wood and statues meant to be set on fire is not very compelling for a Wonder, which is supposed to be a structure that defines the pinnacle of that civilization.

i guess maybe i misunderstood the original suggestion of the funeral pyre; i thought it was gonna be some super-magnificent Olympic torch-like thing :P

• 3 weeks later...

[...] Alexander himself. 'cuz lets be honest, he's pretty much the only real pan-Macedonian ruler that there ever was and everything went to pot after he died

If Cleitus The Black were around, then probably we should do better than what happened last time. This man saved Alexander's life in battle. He was the leader of the royal guard, has served under Alexander's father Philip until his sudden death ... and it's quite realistic that many victories were also won due to his experience and elite skills (next to Alexander's enthusiasm, for trying the impossible and fresh strategies).

@funeral: At first - once I saw the thread - I was shocked - what .. is this .. is this a funeral .. well .. is it .. it's mine!? ;)

The funeral pyre sounds impressive, difficult to tell if it's a wonder ... it's comparable to the bridge of ships that shortened the Persians' armies way to Greece in the 2nd Greco-Persian War if I'm not wrong. It's difficult to tell if it actually was a wonder, though it was ingenious!

Yes'd been fine. Generally I think it's sad that all those nice eye-candy objects are not available for cultures to build. I would love to make a Roman Signifer (Standardsbearer) erect put the standards into the ground. Or make units erect flags, put up trenches (because digging is not possible we could at least have an object for that, and eye-candy for that we have I think).

Other than that, I must say the artwork is impressive!! All the new unique buildings in the newest version ... and the mechanics and animations of catapults and ships .. simply wow. This is a mindblowing piece of art!!

• Like 1