Phalanx Bonus

Revan Shan

To the point. Pikes get in the game a good bonus VS cavalry, which is nice an accurate, but it bugs me the fact that VS swordmen they are totally useless.

If you have, lets say, 50 pikemen and 30 romans appear on that spot you are totally @#$%ed when, actually, romans found it really difficult to beat those factions that used pikes (Macedon)

So... why not implement a pike phalanx feature? Like... if a pikeman has another pikeman right by his side they get a defense protection vs melee attacks. That way they could last long against enemy swordmen and hold them back, until their lines are finally broken. 1 pikeman alone can't do a thing against a roman infantryman, but a good formation of pikes should destroy any enemy while they remain in their phalanx formation.

Hoplite phalanx and shield wall: If the feature mentioned before gets implemented it would be nice to also implement some variations. The hoplites are another unit that I find too weak vs enemy swordman. I know swordmen are suposed to beat hoplites, but they should resist a bit longer. If they are next to each other they could get a little melee defense bonus (much lighter bonus than the one for pikes, because pikes are far superior) but also some extra bonus on defense against enemy arrows. On the other hand some swordman units like the ones from the romans or the silver shields could have the shield wall feature, which is basicly the same as the hoplite phalanx, just that with even less melee defense bonus).

This way pikes could last longuer against any enemy infantry and, in big groups, beat enemy swordmen, though they would still be weak against arrows and other missiles. And in the mean time, both hoplites and trained swordmen could resist arrows better if they maintain a good formation and would also make all great battles last a big longer. This 3 minifeatures would also help hellenic and roman infantry look more capable against barbarian ones, and at the same time making gauls, indians and iberians more usefull in skirmishes rather than in face to face large combats.

Edited by Revan Shan
  • Like 1

Formations haven't been implemented yet, but the existing ones do give a decent range of tactical options

plus, pike units can strike two units deep, given they have a longer melee range

but of course in this alpha stage, the best thing to do is to have a varied army. back your syntagma with priests and archers for the time being

• Like 1

Well, I don't expect total order in what we call formations. That's why I suggested this feature based on proximity, not actually on activated formations

Yeppers, read the other 10 or so threads and discussion on formations. It'll be implemented one day.

Good to hear.

Edited by Revan Shan

Such a proximity feature would be very temporary if we can get proper formations working in the not-so-far future.

Btw, every unit needs a counter. pikemen counter all cavalry, so they can't counter other infantry.

In every game the counter of pikes has been missiles. They should be weaker against proyectiles than swordmen and hoplites, by far

Edited by Revan Shan
  • Like 1

Good topic. I just had to clarify Macedonian spear are not really pike. Pike refers to a medieval weapon that is similar to the Macedonian spear. I told Rome Total war people but they said unfortunately there is nothing they can do because it was a design choice and not a bug. :)

Edited by greycat