Alpha 16 Wishlist/General discussion

The AI can destroy or Defend the wonder, if started one, it's too easy won by wonder. Now we need standard condition by wonder and by conquest at same time.

-May be we need start to work in capture building like relics or capture flags etc.

-And turn a cart into a building.

-Graphic options menu.

-Toggle Run/Walk

-keep in mind a Updater for Osx and Windows, a user ask me today in Facebook how he can update the game, I don't know his OS but in OSX and Windows can be nice have a Updater one day.

The AI can destroy or Defend the wonder, if started one, it's too easy won by wonder. Now we need standard condition by wonder and by conquest at same time.

-May be we need start to work in capture building like relics or capture flags etc.

-And turn a cart into a building.

-Graphic options menu.

-Toggle Run/Walk

-keep in mind a Updater for Osx and Windows, a user ask me today in Facebook how he can update the game, I don't know his OS but in OSX and Windows can be nice have a Updater one day.

i think that we can put and automatic updater by SVN

i think the we can put three files updates on root directory "of 0AD"

the Linuxupdater.sh

Windowsupdater.bat

Macupdater.sh

with a cude such as it:

"LinuxUpdater.sh"

#!/bin/shset -esvn upcd build/workspaces./clean-workspaces.sh./update-workspaces.shcd gccmake cleanmake -j3

is it only and automatic update & compile script, we can put a result when compilation has finished "a only message with the content" It works, now you can play 0AD

Edited by newcivs

Newcivs: if you clean and build the workspaces every time, you are losing a lot of time. Such a script isn't wanted, because the required steps depend on the actual changes. Most of the time, a make will do.

ok ok guys when I say a Updater it's some like a patcher, like battlenet patcher, like AoeO patcher ( R.I.P).

Okm with the Formation in Empire Earth I we have one nice is mix between Range and Melee, the melee forms a circle, we can do it close, like a human wall, and archers in center to attack other. obviusly in Empire Earth i was do it manually.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

It may be good to include a way to indicate a new version is available, plus give the user the ability to directly go to the website (download page). This can be put somewhere in the main menu, I suppose. Releases are not that frequent to become really cumbersome to go to the website each time.

An actual updater is way more difficult and prone to errors. Fiddling with svn/git is not an option for regular users due to the need for having svn/git installed first, and having to do the compilation second (which is error prone). Plus, the svn version requires quite a bit more disk space (±550 Mb for the regular OS X dmg package, my svn checkout is closer to 7 Gb).

As for what could be in A16:

• I assume the updated GUI will see a further rollout, although it's not mentioned so far in this thread?
  • Like 2

It may be good to include a way to indicate a new version is available, plus give the user the ability to directly go to the website (download page). This can be put somewhere in the main menu, I suppose. Releases are not that frequent to become really cumbersome to go to the website each time.

An actual updater is way more difficult and prone to errors. Fiddling with svn/git is not an option for regular users due to the need for having svn/git installed first, and having to do the compilation second (which is error prone). Plus, the svn version requires quite a bit more disk space (±550 Mb for the regular OS X dmg package, my svn checkout is closer to 7 Gb).

As for what could be in A16:

• I assume the updated GUI will see a further rollout, although it's not mentioned so far in this thread?
that very good idea, like VLC in early versions. Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

This topic was getting slightly off-topic in parts, so I've created a separate topic for more general discussion: http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18030 Please use that for any non-planning discussion.

ok we can put some old ideas for alpha 14 and 15 that can don't be possible in these days or a list of simple implementation, like command and interface buttons.

Cavalry run walk toggle

Capture building/ female animals/

Improve formations

A lot of new tech , specially in early phase, nobody likes play in early stage.

Nomad mode?

Farming new gameplay.

Implement new shortcuts

New cheats

New auras

Graphics Options Menu

#1810, #1811,

- Related design thread.

- Who would like to work on this?

Running/Charging

- Related design thread.

Trample damage

- Related design thread.

Capturing (buildings)

- Related design thread.

Conversion (domesticable animals, females)

- Related design thread.

Aurium did some work on that, we should try to get a WIP patch

UnitMotion Tech Modifier

- Related design thread.

New Farming

- Related design thread.

New Corral/Herding Features

- May require Capturing and Converting implemented first, or in conjunction.

Minimap Buttons

- Related tickets?

- Related design thread.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Some pointers about what is actually slow in the simulation:

(this is a profiling using Apple's instruments, on a replay, so without any graphics. They are respectively showing what takes time when you update a simulation turn, and the main culprits. There were 3 very hard AIs and I profiled for the first 20 minutes.)

If you sum them up, CcomponentManager iterating over entities is about 1/4th of the time. The rest is mostly pathfinding (sqrt calculation and actual pathing).

Note that I've found visual actor to be fairly slow too (particularly updatevisibility), but here it doesn't appear since graphics are disabled.

This means that to optimize, beyond the pathfinder, we could mainly:

-find a brilliant new way to compute integer square roots.

-change those std::maps for entities and use something a lot more efficient

-have fewer messages.

(note: JS took about 75% of the processing time in that, particularly comparing strings)

post-9128-0-25864700-1388424230_thumb.pn

post-9128-0-52811600-1388424234_thumb.pn

Jantipus' reforms:

Jantipus was a spartan mercenary general, that drives carthaginian armies during the few huge land battles on 1º punic war, but the jantipus' reforms are more important are on sicilian wars and mercenary wars "after his death":

* what means it?????:

* +10% health for all units

* automatically range are transformed to Elite

* +4 attack for all soldiers "infantry, calvary and champions"

* a phalanx remix, if i don't declare the value is default: "+15% vs helenistic factions, +20% aganist romans, +5 vs iberians, +3 vs celtic factions" "the phalanxes formarion and combinated armor of macedon, but with elephants as ram-style units", only rome can defeat carthage with a economic block, without this bans, is very interesting who could defeat the other?

carthagestyle.png

Edited by newcivs

Xanthipus*

Overpower tech?

less powered:

* +10% health for all units

* automatically range are transformed to Elite

* +4 attack for all soldiers "infantry, calvary and champions"

* a phalanx remix, if i don't declare the value is default: "+15% vs helenistic factions, +20% aganist romans, +5 vs iberians, +3 vs celtic factions" "the phalanxes formarion and combinated armor of macedon, but with elephants as ram-style units", only rome can defeat carthage with a economic block, without this bans, is very interesting who could defeat the other?

but with a few condition "optional to this tech", Xantipus is trianed as a pseudohero, with aura but it isn't a hero!!!!!

Ok we go for parts 10% most health for all units. All units? Evidence of them( history) you test this to balance.

And then for some reason they can convert all as elite. And then gave more hp more stats and the you got a bonus vs all factions except Mauryans and Persian.

If you research this for some reason Carthage be crush all factions?

Guy if you do this, is there no one roman faction can defeat Carthage even Scorpio can defeat Hannibal at Zama.

Ok we go for parts 10% most health for all units. All units? Evidence of them( history) you test this to balance.

And then for some reason they can convert all as elite. And then gave more hp more stats and the you got a bonus vs all factions except Mauryans and Persian.

If you research this for some reason Carthage be crush all factions?

Guy if you do this, is there no one roman faction can defeat Carthage even Scorpio can defeat Hannibal at Zama.

* the elite is because gain the spartan military trining

we could chang the phalanx remix to only +3 attack "spartan trining"

i have a better idea:

* put the greek formations:

* a simple bonus +3 hack

* automatically elite rank to all soldiers "spartan millitary training explains it"

* defult "formation" such as:

carthagestyle.png

i mod in my icon:

* Elephant

* italic calvary

* ballista "only put the roman actor. the only with animation"

IMO the main thing to fix is the unit lag. If you get rid of that, players will come. Because even if its still in alpha this game is more playable than a lot of finished games. Adding stuff will be good when the base will be fixed.

Now what would be nice would be a resolution changer, because i don't think the minimum specs are this low anymore. So at least that would make it playable for old machines. If it is not in the menu an ini file would be great.

Something that could be good to is to update the art thread which displays all the task needed. I have some 2d artists friends that could help if i could tell them exactly what to do. Moreover i think each faction should have its thread or at least its subforum.

I don't know what you need in terms of programming. I know how to do C and some C++ but i don't see many methods to calculate square roots except the dicotomia method, which a slow loop or a big switch, in which you could also have a possibility of calculation if the value doesn't exist.

• Like 3

Now what would be nice would be a resolution changer, because i don't think the minimum specs are this low anymore. So at least that would make it playable for old machines. If it is not in the menu an ini file would be great.

This can already be done. Look at your configuration file (see full info here on the wiki, don't use the default.cfg as it will be changed on any update) and set your desired resolution:

windowed = truexres = 1024yres = 768

I don't think you can set a resolution lower then your display's native one and still play fullscreen. Still, this settings stuff would be a nice addition for Alpha 16, especially when higher quality graphics (thanks to OpenGL based shaders) are enabled by default. It would be easier for people to tune the game to their liking and their computer's abilities.

This can already be done. Look at your configuration file (see full info here on the wiki, don't use the default.cfg as it will be changed on any update) and set your desired resolution:

windowed = truexres = 1024yres = 768

I don't think you can set a resolution lower then your display's native one and still play fullscreen. Still, this settings stuff would be a nice addition for Alpha 16, especially when higher quality graphics (thanks to OpenGL based shaders) are enabled by default. It would be easier for people to tune the game to their liking and their computer's abilities.

Create some template and put custom as input to create their own one can be good idea. Not all people know about resolutions

I wasn't knew some time ago. The proration 4:3 and 16:9 for example.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

What happening with this one?

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/1919

Nothing ;) I haven't had the time to work on it, and for the past few months 0 A.D. won't even compile any more (thanks to OS X Mavericks being difficult, making progress impossible on my side). The patch you are referring to would help nomadic units that can transform from building to unit and back. As those are not yet to be found in the main game (nor any mod I'm aware of), this patch resides in the backlog for now. Previously it had been moved from Alpha 13, to 14, to 15, without too much progress. It can be picked up and worked on if the need arises. In short, I wouldn't put it back on the list for the next Alpha unless someone volunteers to work on this.

• Like 1