Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

There are some talks about "capturing" a unit though, and making it a slave for you.

Only buildings, animals, and female citizens. These will be captured if they are out of line-of-sight of other friendly units (actually, I'm not sure if that will be true for buildings).

Edited by alpha123

Can you implement a break formation option to the formations menu? Scatter is not a break formation option as it is very ridgid, being basically a formation where the units keep a set distance from each other. The fact that a group of units have to be in a formation can sometimes lead to some absurd situations e.g. marching in a battle line to a construction location. The fact that animals are also bound to and move in formations can be ridiculous as you can see in this screenshot:

post-15404-0-91804100-1368623905_thumb.j

Sorry for my formal reportish english.

• Like 1

Can you implement a break formation option to the formations menu? Scatter is not a break formation option as it is very ridgid, being basically a formation where the units keep a set distance from each other. The fact that a group of units have to be in a formation can sometimes lead to some absurd situations e.g. marching in a battle line to a construction location. The fact that animals are also bound to and move in formations can be ridiculous as you can see in this screenshot:

One day I (or somebody else) will probably get around to implementing a no-formation formation. In addition to the things you mentioned, formation regrouping is kind of terrible right now, which leads to all sorts of strange things.... (Although is also exploitable to make your units run. :P)

And yeah, the sheep thing is a little funny (it doesn't happen with non-domestic animals). They should probably behave like support units when it comes to formations.

Citizen sheeps. And are good map explorers

So long as you don't mind the really tiny LOS and slow movement speed, sure, they're great for exploring....

The do have the advantage of being fairly covert though.

Special ops sheep. :ninja:

Edited by alpha123

on the whole converting units thing, i think if nothing else the basic mechanic should be in-game for reference, but only in an editor-only unit for non-modified versions of the game. of course, said unit would be a high-definition 3D model of the original Priests from AOE complete with the wololo sound ;) if nothing else, it would make a decent jumping-off point for modders and designers to make different units that can convert enemies (say, a crusader knight, for instance*)

there could also be a cheat called "wololo" that instantly converts whatever's highlighted to your side ;):P

*before anyone says anything, yes i know the crusaders weren't around in 0ad's timeframe; it's just an example

hey I was thinking of making the market more meaningful and an important part of the game. In AOE the market is insignificant. I build it because it is an option for upgrading to another age and because it looks good and to obviously send resources to allies when they ask for it.. other than that it is useless. I would like the market to be a place where trade from all over including outside your civilization can be done in a realistic way ie. you have to travel to and from the market by cart, ship or by foot to exchange goods, not type in 500 wood(or whatever other resource) and send it to your allies. sure this is quicker but not interesting at all. also instead of only being able to buy and sell resources such as food, wood, gold and stone, resources specific to each civilisation can be traded. These resources could be used to do things like make stronger armour, for medicine, make stronger weapons etc. even animals could be traded for example the Persians could trade their camels or elephants for animals they don't have.

Edited by Rai
  • Like 1

Manual: Cheats (just in case you have some other ideas ;) )

For a market cheat, what would you think of "keynesian economy". It would allow you to make debts in when selling resources (so the resources you sell arrive under zero).

Or an other one: "another brick in the wall". That would produce walls all over your territory boundaries (doesn't really matter if they go through mountains or not, random Iberian walls are placed through mountains too).

Just thinking aloud.

I have noticed that the yield of the fields was increased a short time ago (http://trac.wildfire...changeset/13405). How about instead the yield of the fields are lowered and when the fields are depleted, there is a regeneration period, probably represented by a grey progress bar, during which the fields cannot be harvested for food. Workers can still work on the fields, not collecting food, but making the fields regenerate faster. This would eliminate the need for new fields to be built when the old ones are depleted.

• Like 1

I have noticed that the yield of the fields was increased a short time ago (http://trac.wildfire...changeset/13405). How about instead the yield of the fields are lowered and when the fields are depleted, there is a regeneration period, probably represented by a grey progress bar, during which the fields cannot be harvested for food. Workers can still work on the fields, not collecting food, but making the fields regenerate faster. This would eliminate the need for new fields to be built when the old ones are depleted.

We will have infinite fields sooner or later (there's a patch of mine sitting on Trac waiting for some design discussion).

• Like 2

• Stan` featured this topic