Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

What if in order to access certain buildings, techs, and military units weren't always through the research of techs like the town phases, but instead through achieving certain deeds, and other achievements? For example, a player can build an Elephant Stable, but can not build elephant units, unless that players has three food storage buildings. Elite units could not be built unless a player has thirty houses, and the certain technology to build those flavor of units.

The same could go for heroes. You must kill ten enemy units with Philip II, in order to access Alexander the Great for the Macedonians. Each next hero would be more powerful than the previous.

I'm still waiting for the Wilhelm scream to happen in 0 A.D. Haha

True, but people eventually learn how to access certain things for each civilization, and be quick about it. The tooltips doesn't need to be that large in order to display the requirements too? There are RTS games out there that gives access to certain things by more than just to research a technology.

Just an idea to throw out.

EDIT: You should have plenty of time to look at pieces of information while building up your economy. 0 A.D. has a slower economy build-up than Age of Empires, there is time.

Edited by Sighvatr

EDIT: You should have plenty of time to look at pieces of information while building up your economy. 0 A.D. has a slower economy build-up than Age of Empires, there is time.

Not in multiplayer for sure. I see this as an another way to make the game slower. I.e. you want to train champ spearmen troops to counter a cavalry enemy attack (or an early raid), but you have to go to find the information on what you need to train your troops, you're in big trouble.

I can understand if you have some kind of "bonus" or "discount" having x buildings of a kind, but that's not too much different from researching a tech. Just my opinion here.

I can understand your point. Though it seems a bit exaggerated. It is only a suggestion to promote the interest into creating a more interesting economy. Now that I think about it, the Athenian marines require a number of certain steps before they are created. Why not do the same with champions and other elite units?

I can understand your point. Though it seems a bit exaggerated. It is only a suggestion to promote the interest into creating a more interesting economy. Now that I think about it, the Athenian marines require a number of certain steps before they are created. Why not do the same with champions and other elite units?

You mean a research to enable promotions?

Is that really necessary ?

The biggest your economy grows, the fastest and strongest your army will be. If you have good eco, you have very few chances of losing. I don't understand this argument, so.

I don't understand this argument, so.

Nope. No you don't.

My suggestion is that it would be more interesting if you have to do more in order to access certain units. An example would be not to only have a fortress in order to create a champion unit, but you have to have thirty houses in order to do so. If you lose the houses, then you can not create those certain units. That way it helps promote the importance of keeping a running, healthy, and protected town.

Enrique is arguing that he doesn't want to do more in order to access those certain units besides upgrading them by techs, because he would be afraid of not having the time to build the elite troops in order to counter his opponents.

My counter argument is that it would make more sense to do more in order to create a certain kind of units, by performing a certain number of combinations of requirements. Like for instance, as a Athenian player you want to build the marines. You have to build a dock, then create a ship that creates the marines. Then buy the technology on the ship to create those marine troops.

Edited by Sighvatr

• 2 weeks later...

!!!!!!!! GREAT GAME BUT YOU ARE MISSING TOO MANY THINGS !!!!!!

First off I want to say great game and thanks for doing this I been in search of a great base builder!

Now to business, I am not going to give a list of what I want to see. Instead I am going to give me reason behind each Idea I have.

1) Range units on "stone" walls. The first tier wall the "wood" is a nice simple defense but the design you guys put into the game for the stone walls clearly show that the top of the walls are made for people. They have side rails and plenty of space to walk on.

2) Able to build towers into the stone walls. I think it saves space inside your base also it makes your base look sharp! And what do base builders really enjoy? A sharp looking base.

3)Population max. Some of us have great PCs and some of us do not. They should be an option to have basic style 200 max, but also it would be great to see up to maybe 500 pop max?

4)Back too walls. Why always a straight line with walls? I think to make unique base we should be able to curve the walls to fit the land that we start on. You don't start us in a perfect square so why do we have to have the only option on making square bases?

5)More buildings. Like stronghold (the first one) you need to make certain buildings so you could build armor, weapons, horses you can ride. That I believes gives the builder ANOTHER option on making they base unique from other bases and choose what they would like to specialize in.

6)More upgrades. The lack of upgrades makes the game a little boring, and you dont get that feeling that my troops are "bada$$" instead you just go....I need 3 of these and 4 of these and 2 of them. My attack force is complete.

7)Make the workers smarter! When the farm is all used up they stop working and just stand there, why cant the plant a new grain field? Also why do they make the grain field with hammer and nails???

8)Pointless animal farm. Ok so I build this building just to buy sheep?? Is that not what the market is for!? If I am building a farm for food I would like to Garrison a few workers into the farm where I can see they are raising and slaughtering the animals for food. Makes it look like your base is productive, instead of seeing a sheep standing there...

9)Have civilians walking around. We all seen this same style of base building, but we never see the CITY just for fun I think it would be great if you could put down roads and a few buildings like a bar, school, playground. Just to give the builder the feeling he is not just building this base to attack the enemy but building to base to keep the people alive. I am sure a lot of base builders will feel the need to protect them and give them a good purpose to build a one of a kind base!.

10)Thanks for reading! Playing this game for a few days now and playing it A LOT Those are some of the things that I would like to see change or just be in discussion about. I will post more as I play more, but please respond and let me know if you think any of this is a good Idea of I am just uber nerd. Haha have a good one guys!

1- Those Upgrades, you think that all Technologies we can create?. NO ;) are more be still in Alpha phase.

2- that is nice idea, is first time i see that here.

3- in Setup, is possible Change that, in Random Maps. not yet in Scenarios.

4-that great idea many suggest that in past. even me talk about that.

5- i think that is not possibly for now.

6-Many Tech are not implement yet specially Military.

http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=16631

7-this is not Implement yet but, is close to do it.

8- no comments.

9-That reduces the performance a lot, even have 200 Max is a problem because serious Lag by Pathfinder and AI.

The planned Features for First Release.

http://www.wildfireg...showtopic=16746

Quote removed. Please don't quote long posts - Thanks, Pureon

Edited by Pureon

1) Range units on "stone" walls. The first tier wall the "wood" is a nice simple defense but the design you guys put into the game for the stone walls clearly show that the top of the walls are made for people. They have side rails and plenty of space to walk on.

Making this would be far too much work for something that would just be "for looks", so for now it has been cut. It might be included in a later version of the game though, especially if we can implement a good way to do things like getting units out of a siege tower and onto the wall etc, but that adds a lot of additional complexity.

2) Able to build towers into the stone walls. I think it saves space inside your base also it makes your base look sharp! And what do base builders really enjoy? A sharp looking base.

The main game is not primarily meant for basebuilders/city-builder fans. I'm not saying that it's wrong to enjoy the game on those grounds, just that we have to make decisions about what kind of game it is when we decide what features to include or not. (This is not so important for this question, I just mention it here as it applies here as well as for some of your other questions :) ) There are already towers automatically included in the walls, so I don't see the need to add extra towers :unsure: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting here?

3)Population max. Some of us have great PCs and some of us do not. They should be an option to have basic style 200 max, but also it would be great to see up to maybe 500 pop max?

It's been replied to before, but just to give you an "official answer": There are settings for max population, it's just that for scenarios they are set in the map file, but for random maps you/the host can set it in the match setup :)

4)Back too walls. Why always a straight line with walls? I think to make unique base we should be able to curve the walls to fit the land that we start on. You don't start us in a perfect square so why do we have to have the only option on making square bases?

You can have the walls in whichever angle you want, so there's no need to just do square bases. I doubt it's possible to do non-straight wall pieces without a ton of effort though, at least if we want to have some kind of automatic wall system as opposed to place a lot of pre-curved pieces in specific sizes (and we certainly don't have the manpower to create that + it would be hard to design a way for the user to easily build a wall that way in the middle of a match).

5)More buildings. Like stronghold (the first one) you need to make certain buildings so you could build armor, weapons, horses you can ride. That I believes gives the builder ANOTHER option on making they base unique from other bases and choose what they would like to specialize in.

We might add some buildings still, but generally we're probably at the maximum for the type of game 0 A.D. is. After all, Stronghold is a basebuilder game, 0 A.D. is a war/economy real time strategy game, so it's hard to manage too many buildings at the same time as taking care of everything else.

6)More upgrades. The lack of upgrades makes the game a little boring, and you dont get that feeling that my troops are "bada$$" instead you just go....I need 3 of these and 4 of these and 2 of them. My attack force is complete.

We do most definitely hope we can include more upgrades. It's more a case of having people to actually create them and make sure none of them are overpowered etc.

7)Make the workers smarter! When the farm is all used up they stop working and just stand there, why cant the plant a new grain field? Also why do they make the grain field with hammer and nails???

We do intend to implement a better farm system eventually. They construct the fields the way they do because we don't have any sowing animations, and it's unlikely that we will have any created any time soon. Not because we would mind having them sow, just because it's hard to find people who are good at animating, and the ones who are good at it should rather create animations for things which we don't have a suitable animation at all first. :)

8)Pointless animal farm. Ok so I build this building just to buy sheep?? Is that not what the market is for!? If I am building a farm for food I would like to Garrison a few workers into the farm where I can see they are raising and slaughtering the animals for food. Makes it look like your base is productive, instead of seeing a sheep standing there...

The corral will give you a slow trickle of food when certain animals are tasked to it.

9)Have civilians walking around. We all seen this same style of base building, but we never see the CITY just for fun I think it would be great if you could put down roads and a few buildings like a bar, school, playground. Just to give the builder the feeling he is not just building this base to attack the enemy but building to base to keep the people alive. I am sure a lot of base builders will feel the need to protect them and give them a good purpose to build a one of a kind base!.

For a city-builder/base-building game it's one thing, and maybe in some RTS games as well, but for the main 0 A.D. game it will not be included. If people want to create a mod that does this they are of course allowed to though :)

• Like 1

@0 A.D. Project Leader Can you guys include a "Pilum Attack" option for the Roman units? This is greatly needed.

When defending a base especially, or marching in formation we need an option to hurl pilum at the enemy to weaken them then swords are automatically used by default. Kind of like EE in the campaign.

Pilum could essentialy be chucked twice before a unit converts to the sword.

I don't know if this was already mentioned. ;)

Im not sure if that applies to early roman triarii and hastati troops? Isnt it up to the Veles to throw javelins from the front? Then the hastati and triarii steps in to meet the charge. After engagement, the Veles step forward to take the place of the triarii and hastati. Then the units repeat switching places?

Im not sure if that applies to early roman triarii and hastati troops? Isnt it up to the Veles to throw javelins from the front? Then the hastati and triarii steps in to meet the charge. After engagement, the Veles step forward to take the place of the triarii and hastati. Then the units repeat switching places?

Romans used the pila right from the Punic wars right up until 450 A.D.

But in that time, the Pilum was the primary weapon of the legionarie in the same way the dori was the prime weapon for the hoplite.

• Stan` featured this topic