Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

Very good game, a lot of credit to the creator team, but I would like to make a suggestion, every time the player who created a game is lost, only disconnected, and this does not take me as a victory ... there would be a possibility that the game Follow, or by choice the winner?

Texto Original: "muy buen juego, mucho crédito al equipo creador, pero quisiera hacer una sugerencia, cada vez que el jugador que creó una partida se ve perdido, solo se desconecta, y esto no se me toma como victoria... existiría la posibilidad que el juego siguiera, o por punto eligiera al vencedor?"

• Like 1

Yes, @Mermert, we plan do add losing the connection for some time means losing the game. It's not yet entirely sure how it will be handled in the end.

Rated games are not really supported yet, though. We need a server to host the games, not the players themselves, for that.

So rated games are just there to test the functionality that's allready there, not so much an official feature (Though I'm quite sure some team members would disagree ;) ).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mermert said:

Very good game, a lot of credit to the creator team, but I would like to make a suggestion, every time the player who created a game is lost, only disconnected, and this does not take me as a victory ... there would be a possibility that the game Follow, or by choice the winner?

Texto Original: "muy buen juego, mucho crédito al equipo creador, pero quisiera hacer una sugerencia, cada vez que el jugador que creó una partida se ve perdido, solo se desconecta, y esto no se me toma como victoria... existiría la posibilidad que el juego siguiera, o por punto eligiera al vencedor?"

como dijo Fexor actualmente es el usuario quien hace el host, mp´´as adelante veremos como arreglar estos problemas y ver que soluciones justas podemos crear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

First up a big thank you for putting so much effort into this game looks very very promising to say the least !

I played the new patch now and have a few suggestions that might be too far fetched and a few questions.

I hope these are mostly new ideas since i didnt had the time to read all the pages but i  read the past most current ones.

Setting asside lag/lag with a lot units selected/ pathfinding which sadly exsist but i know are hard to solve atm and take time i have great fun playing.

Suggestions

1. Unit waypoints/facing direction

I saw Waypoint for units will be added next patch so i think can the waypoint also show the position of the units? For example in Empire earth you could click to a location and it showed the dots where every unit will stand could make it easier to position the units even in formation to make sure nothing is in the way of the formation when units arrive.

Also a arrow to give the units a specific direction to face once they arrive would be good. Like the way with buildings atm. You click them and when not leeting go from the mouse you can drag the mouse so the building changes the direction it faces. Could the same be done for unit waypoints? Like you click on the destiantion and waypoint appears but you wont let go of the mouse and drag it around so an arrow appears that shows the direction the unit will face once at destination? That would be really helpfull

2. Garrison in walls

It feels like the units on top of walls dont have extra protection. Maybe i am wrong and they have but it felt like a normal unit. Could they get a big defense bonus against pierce(javelinthrow and arrows)? That would make it useful to garrison them in the wall-parts otherwise you just put them behind the wall which looks strange. It could also be done via a technology maybe researched in the walls itself?

3. Buildings/Bulding range

Can it maybe possible to build towers/fortresses and gatherhouses outside of the bulding range? And make the city circel when all upgrades/research for bigger range are researched smaller?(also no building should give more area to the building circle)This would put more focus on walls and defending the buildings you have in this smaller area rather than just build everywhere and would be more in line with the realistic direction the games is going imo. This way towns wont get as big(and will be more like a "town/city") and it wil promote forming real cities. The resource gatherthings/towers/fortres give no new territory but can be build outside. That would make it interesting since you can grab a lot of rescources but so does the enmie which leads to battles over resource fields and you dont have to spam towncenters to expand. You can ofcourse build a towncenter at the rescources rather than just a rescource gather-house so it wouldnt impact the gameplay much in that regard rather than just that the possible reach of the towncenters is reduced so it feels more like a TOWN center rather than just a thing to grab the land and with 2 TC almost own 50% of the land of a smaller map.

Another way to achiev this could be controlled area range and bulding range are 2 seperated things. For example the range that you controll stays the same but budilings can only be build in a square radius around a TC which is considerably smaller than the controlled area. In that case towers/fortress/gatherhouse could be build inside the controlled area and all other houses only in the dedicated building suqare around the TC( Square because all buildings are suqares too to make it easier to use the given space)

4. Resource richness

I  read something similar before. A gamemode where the stone/iron have almost unlimited gather potential and maybe the wood has a lot more aswell maybe 500/1k for a tree? i dont know but a lot more. That would also mean the maps should have  less singel trees hanging around but rather thick big forrest one near each starting point(not directly at the towncenter rather a small way out) and on other places of the map(which needs units being able to go through them without getting stuck maybe making the forrest for these kind like the ones on Delenda Est Mod) Everyone starts with 1stone1 iron source each and other than that iron/stone nodes are very very rare maybe just 1 other iron and 1 other stone source on the map even if its a gigantic one (not close to each other just 1 singel iron and way somewhere else 1 singel stone) This would set a very diffrent focus of the game. Rather than rushing for land this one is focusing on defending the town with the 2 nodes you have and then battel for the other resource. Since its unlimited nodes everyone can build armies but just as fast and big as the gather rate allows. The one controlling the additional nodes will have a advantage but since everyone will try to take it from him it can make for a very itneresting FFA games with alliances that will be made/broken.

5. Go to Attack move

Can the ctrl + move command for units be polished? It seem to not work most of the time or just works poorly. Also if it would prioritize enemy units or maybe only be against units that would help.

SO these are just a few things that came to mind while playing. Hope it helps and maybe someone has similar/better ideas for similar stuff 

6. Break Formation

Often it seems like the No-formation button is not working at all(its more of a bug than a suggestion) But couldnt the formation break in terrain that it cant be sustained everytime? Meaning if a phalanx runs around houses the formation would automatically go to "No-formation". Potential Bonus stats from formation are lost in these types and can only be brought back when the unit reaches terrain where it can form the formation without interruptions. How fast it breaks can vary for example a phalanx(very close formation) breaks easily when terrain wont allow and battle line formation can endure a bit of uneaven terrain until it breaks into No formation.When formations will give big advantages over No formation units this will add a strategic component to choose the right battlefield also it can give civilisations that maybe dont have as strong formations an edge when everyone fighting with No-formation maybe they get a small bonus for not using one(only posssible of the rest is implemented correctly in the game) IDK if this is even possible..its maybe just food for thought. 

Questions

1. Formations/tactics

I read a lot about formations and flanking, auras, chrage bonus, moral ,battalions forming and so on but it didnt quiet seem to have gotten to an end? I see Auras will be come next patch but besides that will Formations give more bonus to units and what is the stance on a set amount of units form some kind of singel unit(singel healthbar etc to minimize lag maybe)?Wouldnt this also allow for much more tactical thinking in a fight when these "singel-big-units collide but when the unit is figthing it cant break from the fight that fast to react to stuff the enemie does. Will there tactics similar to for example Total war games just adapted to which is doable in an RTS? IMO it would be awesome to have more tactics than just rock paper sicssors type like most rts have.

2. Map size

Could there even be a bigger map size than Giant? is it possible to make one(with editor or so)?

3. Unit limit.

I know its hard to predict but what are the hopes regarding to populations when the performance is working as intended?

Thanks for reading if this wasnt too long but these are the sugesstions/questions that came to my mind while palying.I would like to see what others think about these things.

And thank you again each and everyone devoting their time to make this game happen!

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for your interest!

3 hours ago, Dantes said:

1. Unit waypoints/facing direction

This is planned, but it's not as easy as you'd think.

2. Garrison in walls

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

We've been thinking about this a little more, but I don't see big changes coming.

1. Formations/tactics

We have been quite unable to figure out how to implement formations. Don't expect too much on that angle for now.

2. Map size

This would be possible but there's a few limits:
-size of the Javascript memory - some maps already run into this, I've been thinking about making it configurable for people that want more.
-it would lag horribly.

3. Unit limit.

I don't think we can go realistically beyond 200/300 units because it would become unmanageable for the player.

• Like 1

Units on walls get a armor bonus already, but maybe it should be a even bigger bonus.

as for his number 3, the gentleman should try DE to see if the concept works as he suggests.

I don't think we can go realistically beyond 200/300 units because it would become unmanageable for the player.

Battalions would increase numbers of soldier, while reducing the number of controllably entities for the player. ;)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

Thank you for the fast replies!

Good to hear most of these things are already on your mind wraitii looking forward to that

Unit/mapsize things will probably made by modders anyway so nothing really the game needs most atm anyway i guess was just general questions.

Like i said it didnt felt like the units had an advantage while beeing on the walls. Tested it agaisnt AI and it was even champion archers and if i instead send same amount of spear inf out instead of manning the walls i tend to lose way less even tho they were just builder-citizen-inf. I will keep an eye on that maybe it was a false observation.

Will probably see if i get some friends to test this out aswell also the DE mod. I already took a fast look into DE and it also looks like it has some really interesting features ! GJ getofyourcellphone

• Like 1

From my point of view, Building range "Controlled Area" and map size are both related and have a common solution: Upgrade OAD to add provinces and a more elaborated diplomacy.

There could be a big capital city protected with stone walls and surrounded by unprotected small villages joined to it through paths as a province. There could then be some provinces and one of the capital cities being as the capital of the tribes confederation, kingdom or empire depending on it's political system. The whole of the provinces would determine the "Controlled Area" of a faction. Boundaries between provinces could be automatically drawn using geographical accidents like rivers, forests, seas or mountains or been drawn y the user giving a name to each province, and a provinces manager map would then be necessary. to move to one province to another.

This would lead to an improve in the diplomacy between factions. In the peace times, and so far you don't declare war or some faction declares war to you, you would be able to improve your civilization, commerce, armies, strategies, alliances,  etc..  beyond the maximun of 60 min. you can leave without being disturbed by the enemy.

May instead of a bunch of warriors thrown to the walls and buildings of other factions, organized armies instead of units (50, 100 or 150.. warriors per unit) could invade nearby opponent provinces, attack cities or meet with other organized armies in some playground scenario where they can deploy and use their best tactics.

Capture of the capital city would lead to a phase of pre-annexation. State of the provinces could be:  

Former province: can have as many cities TC and small villages as terrain if the province allows it. One city at least. One city at least needs to be the capital of the province or the empire.

Colony: on neutral territory establishing a TC an claiming a nearby territory as new province until some time or resources production or buildings build are reached and becomes a former province.

Pre-annexation: all cities in the province have being captured by the enemy and a peace agreement has NOT being signed acknowledging the loss of the province and it's former cession to the enemy. New resources coming from that province would be cut-off and pass to the enemy instead.

Annexation: all cities in the province have being captured by the enemy and a peace agreement has being signed acknowledging the loss of the province and it's former cession to the enemy. During a period of time, occupation troops will have to stay in every city and buildings build in order to weak resistance of the population to foreign domination. Finally if not reconquered it will become a former province or colony of the occupant.

I know, it sounds like big changes in the game rules. It is just an idea but it would lead to a more, wise, mature and reflexible strategy game. In any case, It could just be a mod. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juli51 said:

Ok, ¿Como puedo colaborar en general?

¿Como puedo enviaros mi portafolio?

Abre un nuevo post, enséñanos algo digital, dinos en que te gustaría ayudar( es voluntario) puedes contribuir con lo que quieras.

nuestro líder de departamento habla español , pero igual nos comunicamos en inglés. La comunidad te va dar su visto bueno de tu trabajo y te guiará en caso de tener problemas técnicos.

Because of this thread I have come to love watching replays. But as an observer, I would love to know what a structure is currently producing/upgrading without clicking on it. Just to know what the strong players prefer to produce, what to upgrade, when to upgrade them, etc.

I suggest that it should look like this (I can immediately see the player producing 10 women without clicking on the Civic Center):

suggestion.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

hi there, i have a few suggestions

-allow players to type in the unit limit they want, for example if i want a 2000 population cap I could type that in and have both myself and the AIs play with that limit in mind.(although i realized that this isn't very important as there already is an unlimited population option and also it may take alot of changes in code to have the AI play with any pop cap you type in)

-allow players to customize how much resources are available on the map by typing in the amount of a given resource they want for each tile of that resource(obviously adjusting the time it takes for that resource tile to be eliminated from the map accordingly)

-allow players to customize how many people each house can hold by typing in the number they'd like

these are just some of the types of customization that I would utilize personally(I love epic armies and long games), but really I think the more customization there is the better.

-steam support, this would go a long way in increasing the popularity of this game, also steam workshop support would be even better,

anyways, thanks for listening

Edited by kocbftn

1 hour ago, kocbftn said:

-allow players to type in the unit limit they want, for example if i want a 2000 population cap I could type that in and have both myself and the AIs play with that limit in mind.(although i realized that this isn't very important as there already is an unlimited population option and also it may take alot of changes in code to have the AI play with any pop cap you type in)

Unlimited is not actual unlimited, instead is just a really high unrealistic number. lol

This has probably been mentioned, but there are 129 pages in this post and I cannot wade through them all. Why not key the food resource to the population size as a decreasing quantity. It doesnt make sense that it requires xx amount if food to produce a person, yet standing armies consume none of your food. In "Evony" each person "consumed" a bit of your resources every hour, which made sieges possible, since they mostly relied on starving out the enemy and forcing a breakout. After food depletes, people die off in a priority order, cavalry and elephants and horse teams first (high food requirements), then women (food diverted to the front line troops), then troops themselves.

• Like 2

@Hog

I wouldnt mind if we had a choice to play that way but only if the current food system is kept as an option. That is my stance on most gameplay changes, Im fine with them aslong as they dont completely replace another on so I have a choice between the original and the new way of playing.

• 5 weeks later...

I really like this option that's why I hope resources regenerates even in smaller and slower amount. 

When you play AI for long hours or maybe infinite hours the map looks so bad.

i know it's hard to ask for more but I hope they implement some fans view especially for the single player type of gamers.

Been following the developments since couple months ago and decided to try if it works on my pc last Saturday and it did! The 21. Spent 16 hours average everyday from the beginning until Tuesday! darn I better get a life...

Though there was issue lately and posted it on YouTube and thanks to Mr. Johnson I will try his suggestion or find some solutions coz it worked perfectly until yesterday. My favorite games are RTS like RoN (maybe 10k hours since gamespy), AoE, Stronghold, Civ5, EE 1or 2. Played some but don't like magics. I LIKE PLAYING AGAINST AI and I'm sure lots of gamers too! 

My observations, hopes and wishes:

1. Make bigger maps and like my favorite game RoN or AoE 1v1 or less player games should be able to play on bigger maps up to maximum size. On RoN once you set any game on a particular map the size changes from arena to maximum. 

2. I really like walls(Stronghold) especially if foot units can stay there. Wall towers with stairs or opening like one on defense towers. Outposts should be climable, maybe laddered. My single archer inside it can even maintain hit points and safe inside enemy territory even if 4 foot units trying to destroy it! Fun though. I love "moats" hope we can have it. 

3. Resources regenerates even for a trickle especially on areas with less activity. This way map will not look like dull if you want to enjoy having fun with AI. In Stronghold trees regenerate! Fish too should regenerate! As with other posters say farms should decay and must cost resources to reconstruct. Mineral deposits generates in some circumstances. If we get resources from ruins why not on destroyed buildings haha etc. BtW I love same resources collection from ruins etc. I love how Stronghold resource gathering! Raiders are annoying but one of the best part of the RTS. Some less economic favor civs should benefit for the kills not only on resource gatherers but also on combatants and destroyed structures or any pillage or civic center sacks  

4. Why not merchants generate roads like in RoN? Land trades use roads even combatants use roads, bridges or even tunnels. Speaking of tunnels I love those tunnelers on Stronghold. Since we are using barter why not indicate barter on the market interface? Can't we use gold or any form of currency for trading on the gameplay?

5. Make purchase of units increase in price as the number of units increases like in RoN so as not to spam too many units early on. It becomes messy and micromanagement becomes less relevant.

6. RoN's interface is very nice AoE 2 also. The obstruction on the gameplay is minimal. The minimap  in the middle. Economic interface in the upper left corner showing resources activity including resources assignment but collapsible. There is score or team activity on the lower left and change in patterns as to choices. 

7. Some buildings especially wonders are too big!

8. No unit conversion? Even generals and heroes can be captured in real time!

These for now but so far I really enjoy playing it despite some issues and for as long as the game launches I will play the single player mode. So far hardest AI is not hard to beat though the only map I like to play and experiment with different civilization is the Mediterran. 

Thanks for having this game and hope hard copies can be available too when the game becomes Beta! Not to boast I spent more than $500 on LoTR cd/DVDs. I really appreciate the efforts of the developers of this game. Had my little donation already...

Edited by Servo

• Stan` featured this topic