Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

19 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Please read what I said carefully i did not say it was not possible I said it would cost us lots of bandwidth and the size of the download would increase very much are you ready for the download of a game to take over on hour media take up memory very fast one hi res image can be 5 Mb not every one in the world has ultra hi speed internet so it should be a choice to get those extras ie: a separate download not the default.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Age of Empires have in-game media and no one care about it's size. At least, developers may put the most interesting media. For exampe: music+some arts+1 video trailer/commercial of current version etc. Most games didn't even put video. Simply: music+arts+manual (finaly Windows can open PDF)

Edited by KingKrios

1 hour ago, KingKrios said:

Age of Empires have in-game media and no one care about it's size. At least, developers may put the most interesting media. For exampe: music+some arts+1 video trailer/commercial of current version etc. Most games didn't even put video. Simply: music+arts+manual (finaly Windows can open PDF)

Some of our users pay internet by MB. Or have very poor connections. So people do care :)

If you want art you can look at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/art_source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Stan` said:

Some of our users pay internet by MB. Or have very poor connections. So people do care :)

If you want art you can look at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/art_source

If all developers thought the same we would still be at the Non-GUI Systems stage. And the games which have built-in encyclopedia will newer be released. So, maybe 0 A.D. should to be downgraded to 2D version? It could save many traffic...

Edited by Katauri
  • Confused 2

On 2/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Nescio said:

Thank you for pointing this out!

For the militia spearman generic name, try to formulate a shorter translation.

For the chat labels, there is now a patch available: D2623

Any other examples of too limited space for text?

Missed "ды" in word "Команды". I can try to generate smaller name for unit but it became uninformative. Also, we have another cyrillic languages with huge naming... Maybe information windows would be better with 5-10% more free space?

screenshot0001.png

Edited by Zeldt

Usually we don't use a current text size to layout. So we have to test UI with the special language from our repo, which is combined from longest strings in all languages.

The proper solution is to account the current size, but it's harder to test. Since we need to test all languages instead of the only one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Simple sort of idea that I think is worth considering: Having the Theatron building widely available seems like a bit much.  The Spartans were hardly known for their love of drama, and I'd say whenever we do think of Greek playwrights, only Athenians come to mind.  That all said, it would make sense for that structure to be exclusive to Athens and perhaps making its effects more interesting than a simple buff to territory.  As to what it could be, I can't necessarily say.  Maybe it could make workers within x radius work faster; I'd be open to better ideas though.  

Another structure that I would say is sorely missing from the Athenians is having an academy structure for a variety of technologies.  Maybe there could even be minor yet exclusive ones that reflect philosophical teachings of various schools.  The list goes on.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I recently found out about this game and I instantly fell in love with it. Reminds me of Age of Empires and Rise of Nations. Plus I think it's really cool how its open source. As someone who has has his entire life playing RTS games, only the 2 that I mentioned, I think I might have some suggestions to make this game an overall better experience. I haven't dug too deep into these forums yet so I apologize in advance if these have been brought up before. 

• RESOURCE INFO - It would be helpful to know how many workers I have collecting each resource.
  • AUTO EXPLORE - This should be a feature for all units, civilian and military, to be to automatically explore the map, land or sea.

This is all that is coming to mind right now but I'll definitely add some more when I get home from work. 

• Like 2

I've played almost every day since I downloaded the game a year ago, and so far there's only one design feature that bothers me: it takes 6 CLICKS to exit the game.

1. Menu
  2. Exit
  3. Confirm
  4. Continue
  5. Exit
  6. Confirm

UI design should almost never include confirmations. They give a false sense of security and according to (I believe it was him) Jared Spool (or his buddy Jakob Nielsen) more data is lost when tools use confirmations than when they simply accept the input.

If those are killed, we're down to 4 clicks.

If I want to see the stats screen (where I have to click 'Continue') I can go look at it. Why is it a required step to exit the game?

I understand there may be a desire to exit the game being played, but not terminate the application itself. Perhaps 2 menu items, 'Leave Game' and 'Exit 0A.D.')

Then it's only 2 clicks:

1. Menu
  2. Exit 0A.D.

If not, at least it's down to 3 steps

1. Menu
  2. Exit Game
  3. Exit 0A.D.

which is heaps better.

Thanks for a marvelous game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hotkey overlay

A optional hotkey overlay would be nice to learn the hotkeys fast.

In particular atm. I am thinking about "add first, second etc. unit type to queue". This might be memorable for the CC, as the first is a women and 4th a cav, but when adding a barrack to the selection the hotkey changes for the unit (as it is not the 4th anymore).

So in game one could easy see the first 2 times, ok in this building-group makes cav on "V" and in the third time you don't need to look anymore.

This is also good for newer players to learn hotkeys like next Idle worker is ".", not just the button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

select all wounded units

Alt + O should select all wounded units on the map. Alt + . already selects all idle workers on the map and mouse selection + O selects wounded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

team line style

Indicate teams with line style on the border. E.g. Team 1 full line "---------", Team 2 dashed "- - - -", Team 3 "- . - . - . -"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selective panic

Alarm mode for selected units instead of one bell for all units. The bell makes no sense when one has more than one CC or even one bigger divided base.

Just select units near your current raid and raise a alarm that sends women in houses and men in next tower/cc/fort. This should only give the one command and don't need a "stop bell"

In almost any situation a bell makes more problems than it solves.

Lets say A gets a cav raid. Bell would affect all workers and the player would never financially recover from ringing the bell. For civs with 3 women house capacity its almost impossible to micromanage "select 3 women - send in one house".

Edited by ffm2
  • Like 1