Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I have suggsetions regarding Mauryan faction.

The heroes-

1) Chandragupta Maurya - The founder. Was guided and advised by Chanakya since his childhood. Chankya was the one who plotted, and prepared young chandragupta to overthrow the then mighty Nanda empire(alexander's army revloted out of fear of them). because Nanda's had insulted Chankya. Chandragupta went on to unify india for the first time, and created the Maurya dynasty. He defeated alexandor's successor and recovered part of india conquered by alexander. But later through marriage established peace and trade with hellenic factions.

Thus-> He needs to be a balanced hero. Giving both combat and economic benefits. Chankya cant be a separate hero, since they have a deep association. Training Chandragupta can enable Chankya from temple. Chankya could be like super priest which also has an aura to improve gathering. While Chandragupta can have a minor attack bonus- +2( to chariot archers)?

Ashoka is the most reknown emperor from indian history. He has two facets. In his early life he was bad-tempered and of a wicked nature. Killed 99 of his brothers to ascend to throne. Was known for elaborate torture chambers- Ashoka Hell. And he further expanded the empire in 8 years.

He embraced Buddhism after witnessing the mass deaths of the Kalinga War, which he himself had waged out of a desire for conquest. He felt remorse, and changed to non-violent buddhist ideologies. Contributed to society- spread of buddhism, edict of ashoka, asokastambh(pillar), ashoka chakra, sanchi stupa, taxila and nalanda university. In his edicts, Ashoka mentions some of the people living in Hellenic countries as converts to Buddhism[http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/dhammika/wheel386.html#rock14]. also he sent dutas(means messenger. but were buddhist monks) which spread budhism across the world(buddhism and martial arts to china) and india.

2) Chanda{चंड} Ashoka(Ashoka the Fierce)- Battle focussed hero. +5 combat.

Alternatively- if people dont want to use this version of ashoka then- Samudragupta(335-380 AD). Known as Napoleon of india because of his conquests. never lost a battle. But is from Gupta dynasty. 

3) Devanampriya Ashoka (Ashoka the Great)- Economy oriented hero. Ashokastambha are available to be built. give speed bonus to merchants and gathering/speed bonus to citizens. All temple researches and priest costs are halved.(useful once priests are able to convert in future). Alternately- if other civ's dont get this convert option. then a special unit "düta" can be enabled in temple through this hero which allows converting enemy units. And gives access to special temple researches boosting unit conversion, unit health regeneration, and unit los and morale.

Inverse of how it is right now. Chandragupta should be riding a chariot, and ashoka mounted on an elephant (both archers). In the earlier periods the kings used to mount chariots(religious importance), but later this changed to Elephants as slowly chariots phased out. Mauryan Chariot archers are manned by 3 people. 1 charioteer, 1 noble warrior, another 1 employed warrior. So chariot archer needs to be expensive, high dps unit, more pop count, slow training, more range than foot archers(height advantage?), trample damage vs foot soldiers but less mobile than cav archer and vulnerable to mele cav. Elephant archer current stats are a joke. Elephant archer should have dual attack. Mele and ranged(able to switch them). an improved version of a war elephant, having good mele splash damage and high hp with mele(hack) resistance, but also a ranged attack(longer than chariot). they have 3 warriors with bows(in mounted tower) and one mahout. Elephants archers need to be very expensive and cost a of of pop(it takes a lot to feed and keep an elephant, along with the 4 mounted units), maybe a unit limit. it can have a negative aura for enemy mounted units (horses get scared of elephants). Can be countered by pikeman and spear man. The High range dps shouldnt be a balance issue because of high resource and pop cost. Chariot archer and Elephant archer play same role, and historically chariots got slowly phased out as elephants began to be used. So i propose - Chariot archer be unlocked by Chandragupta. Elephant archer be unlocked by ashoka. so that both are not present on batlefield together. This should only be based on first hero trained in a game, so that one cant get both by deleting a hero and training another one. This provides intresting choice ragarding unique unit- one is countered by mele cav, while one is countered by anti-cav.

[http://historum.com/asian-history/40710-military-equipment-organization-army-mauryan-india.html]

regarding the siege units-

"By the Mauryan period the Indians possessed most of the ancient world’s siege and artillery equipment, including catapults, ballistas, battering rams, and other siege engines. A distinguishing characteristic of Indian siege and artillery practice was a heavy reliance on incendiary devices, such as fire arrows, pitch pots, and fireballs. There was even a manual instructing how to equip birds and monkeys with the ability to carry fire inside buildings and onto rooftops. This was not surprising in a country whose military fortifications and buildings were made mostly of wood. Fire was such a constant threat to Indian towns that thousands of water containers and buckets were required to be kept full and placed outside dwellings at all times to extinguish fires."

Elephants should have mediocre siege. but they are not supposed to be the main siege unit against a fortified base. Indians under mauryan empire had access to all types of units.(all siege and also heavy cav-greek mercenary). because of good relations with different empires of that time.

Also if the above mentioned chariots / elephant archers seem op then, building them can be restricted by having them train in batches-

" Indian armies of this period had within them a basic unit called the patti, a mixed platoon comprising one elephant carrying three archers or spearman and a mahout, three horse cavalrymen armed with javelins, round buckler, and spear, and five infantry soldiers armed with shield and broadsword or bow. This twelve-man unit when assembled in three units formed a senamukha, or “company.” "

The elephant archer(or chariot archer) should only be trainable in (expensive)batches along with 3 javelin cavalry, 5 champion maiden sword soldiers(switchable to archers) - 12pop (11 in case of chariot batches, also relatively cheaper). The champion swordsmen, archers or cavalry should still be trainable individually.

[https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/10/the-mauryan-empire-military/]

Edited by drsingh
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stevebalmersucks said:

are buildings build over the border bugs or features of the gameplay, and buildings overlapping each other same question bugs or work as design?

This happen with fields, have several alphas there, but I'm not sure if is a bug.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Can we have an attack option for the priest like the women?

Recently I noticed that when you capture a CC mostly all surrounding buildings get destroyed slowly. Iberian walls and turrets converted into Gaia and can't be captured. I think there should be a CC radius that when it falls all economic buildings within that radius belong to the conquerors including walls, ungarrisoned turrets/towers and gates. 

2 minutes ago, Servo said:

Can we have an attack option for the priest like the women?

Recently I noticed that when you capture a CC mostly all surrounding buildings get destroyed slowly. Iberian walls and turrets converted into Gaia and can't be captured. I think there should be a CC radius that when it falls all economic buildings within that radius belong to the conquerors including walls, ungarrisoned turrets/towers and gates. 

May be druids only, I never seen a priest fighting.

the was aren't capturable. Is suppose only Helepolis can do that.

lol yeah. Actually I've been herding lions and boars from near enemy ground safely back to my safe area so I just use a women with a hack or two and they follow. Or using some idle women or healers (if possible) in the vicinity to push and herd back the deers for preservation in my territory. 

Edited by Servo

10 minutes ago, Servo said:

lol yeah. Actually I've been herding lions and boars from near enemy ground safely back to my safe area so I just use a women with a hack or two and they follow. Or using some idle women or healers (if possible) in the vicinity to push and herd back the deers for preservation in my territory. 

Can be nice when you test new map, polar sea. That map is a madness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We have idle villager.

Hmm... didn't see it. I'll try harder :)

Another suggestion: Show queued actions on your units when holding shift pressed. Show you can see the path your units are going to follow (it would be great it you also can see how much time is going to take for the unit to get to every point)

Supreme Commander example:  example

Edited by IberianJavelinMan
Posting video error

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

May be is planned but I'm not remember, but you can do something similar from training buildings.

Oh, sorry if it's duplicated it's hard to follow all the suggestions being so many topics in the forum (I think it's a nightmare for developers reading all the suggestions)

Sorry I didn't understand the part of training buildings

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Can be nice when you test new map, polar sea. That map is a madness.

I'll check but I like maps for 3 to 4 player so AI can trade heavily to compensate for almost gone resources. 

My favorite map for 1v1 is I the the Mediterran with huge water in between but only one side is passable by land. It's like my testing ground. With treasures and fish. AI doesn't make navy though.  

Another very good map is Caledonia Meadow with those Gaia units guarding treasures. But it's random seeding so I have to keep reloading until a good map setup comes out. So many resources plus trading and AI produced massive armies. Game or maybe me lag at above 200 pop on large map.

Im playing Tuscan Acropolis right now and a good team map but also nice on 1v3. Map just have couple animal types and river is passable in most sections. This map can be very good 2v2 multiplayer but must have random seeding. At 150 pop cap .75 speed still has smooth movements but I took one faction out already. I might try on 200 pop next time and take one faction out quickly  to test whether 200 plus units on 3 players will still run smoothly at least up to .5 speed on 1v2.  

Im going to check that polar sea. 

Edited by Servo

Hello guys. Making my first post on this forum as I'm trying out the game for the first time :)  

Just noticed that in the introduction menu on game start, the sub menus slide out when you click on the menu items (learn to play, options, etc.), which appears a little unusual to me as normally I'd expect either:

1. pop-up menu on click, or

2. auto slide-out menu on a hovering cursor. 

Not sure if anyone feels the same, but doesn't hurt mentioning either I guess :)

• Stan` featured this topic