Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

• 3 weeks later...

So far I do like this game, thanks a lot for all your work and contributions!
However, I do have some suggestions for improvement:

1. The menus, texts and icons look rather small on my screen (3840×2160 pixels). OpenTTD has a setting under “Game Options” to magnify the texts and menus (single, double, quadruple size). Could something similar be implemented in 0AD?

2. Is it possible to define custom hotkeys? E.g. I'd like the spacebar to pause the game (my keyboard doesn't have a dedicated pause/break key), G to garrison, and Z, X, C, ... to change unit stances to violent, aggressive, defensive, etc.

3. Is there a possibility that horse archers, camel archers, chariot archers, elephant archers, and archers on siege towers and ships could shoot arrows while moving?

10 hours ago, Nescio said:

So far I do like this game, thanks a lot for all your work and contributions!
However, I do have some suggestions for improvement:

1. The menus, texts and icons look rather small on my screen (3840×2160 pixels). OpenTTD has a setting under “Game Options” to magnify the texts and menus (single, double, quadruple size). Could something similar be implemented in 0AD?

2. Is it possible to define custom hotkeys? E.g. I'd like the spacebar to pause the game (my keyboard doesn't have a dedicated pause/break key), G to garrison, and Z, X, C, ... to change unit stances to violent, aggressive, defensive, etc.

3. Is there a possibility that horse archers, camel archers, chariot archers, elephant archers, and archers on siege towers and ships could shoot arrows while moving?

1. Resizing the GUI might be harder, but at least changing text sizes is likely to come later. Right now it's not a reasonable option though as text is rendered into images and thus we would have to render out a new set of images for each size of text we want to support. Hopefully we are able to implement using actual font files, which would make it a lot easier to allow for changing text related settings.

2. For now you have to do it via a text file, see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Manual_Settings for more information. If there is no hotkey set for a feature in that file it means that there is no way (yet) to set a hotkey to do that action.

3. It is something we would like to have, but it is complicated to implement so we will have to see what we are able to do.

feneur and fabio, thank you for your quick and helpful replies!

1. scale = 0.5 works fine; it does look a bit pixel-ish at first glance, but I'm sure I'll get used to that. And 2. the space bar now pauses my games. 3. Yes, I can imagine it is complicated to implement. Nevertheless, I'm pleased to read this is something you would like to have in the long run.

Something else: 4. The Ptolemean foot archer (Nubian Mercenary Archer) has only 30 health points. Is this intentional? All other foot archers seem to have 50. Besides, it costs 25f, 50w, 25m, while the other Age 1 Civic Centre foot archers (Carthaginian, Mauryan, Persian) cost 50f, 50w; the Age 2 Athenian and Macedonian Cretan Mercenary Archer also cost 25f, 50w, 25m, although the Seleucid Age 2 Syrian Archer cost 50f, 50w. Furthermore, the Mauryan Medium Warship has 2200 health points, but seems to be otherwise identical to the triremes of other civilizations, which have 1400 (the Britons, Gauls, and Iberian medium warships have 1600, but they lack light warships).

Two more improvement suggestions:

1. When constructing towers, fortresses, military colonies, or civic centres, could circles be shown around the existing ones to indicate where you can not build the new ones?

2. When having buildings, ships, or siege weapons selected, could circles be shown around those to indicate their current range?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

1. This game is still in development and crashes are expected so an autosave function would be nice where you can set it to autosave every x minutes (and of course disable it if you don't want to use it).

2. Prevent ranged units and buildings from shooting through objects and if it's not too much trouble, mountains as well.

3. On many maps the units walk through water so I suggest two different types of water: shallow and deep. Organic units, and maybe light ships such as merchant and fishing, can walk in shallow water but only ships can travel on deep water.

5. AI builds temples but never uses any healers. Having healers can make a huge difference so it puts AI at disadvantage not being able to utilize them.

6. Units tend to get stuck sometimes, either because an object is blocking the path or because there's too many of them trying to go through a narrow path. This seems to significantly impact performance negatively.

7. Do formations have any effect on attributes such as walking speed, attack, armor etc.? If they do, it would be nice to have a tooltip that appears when you hover over a formation and explains the (dis)advantages the same way it works for units.

8. The Regicide game mode is unplayable because the king/hero dies so easily it's almost like it commits suicide. It shouldn't be too difficult modifying the AI to protect the king/hero better (e.g. garrison it in a building, keep many units nearby for protection, always give protecting the king/hero priority). Fixing #5 on my list would also be of benefit for this mode.

9. I'd also like to thank you for you hard work on the game!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trinity said:

1. This game is still in development and crashes are expected so an autosave function would be nice where you can set it to autosave every x minutes (and of course disable it if you don't want to use it).

It's probably a good idea yeah.

2. Prevent ranged units and buildings from shooting through objects and if it's not too much trouble, mountains as well.

Probably not going to happen for technical reasons as it's really difficult to do.

3. On many maps the units walk through water so I suggest two different types of water: shallow and deep. Organic units, and maybe light ships such as merchant and fishing, can walk in shallow water but only ships can travel on deep water.

That exists, though all ships can travel through shallows. Seeing as our maps aren't very big, and it's hard to make them big without making it difficult to run the game on anything but the most powerful computers, it's probably going to have to be that way. Otherwise the places where ships can go are very limited.

5. AI builds temples but never uses any healers. Having healers can make a huge difference so it puts AI at disadvantage not being able to utilize them.

The AI is not finished, and is very likely to always be a bit behind as features need to be implemented first and then the AI needs to be adapted to take advantage of them. At the moment we don't have an AI programmer, so it might take a bit longer than usual for that reason.

6. Units tend to get stuck sometimes, either because an object is blocking the path or because there's too many of them trying to go through a narrow path. This seems to significantly impact performance negatively.

Pathfinding is one of the harder parts of game development to get right, but it's certainly an issue we are aware of and working on.

8. The Regicide game mode is unplayable because the king/hero dies so easily it's almost like it commits suicide. It shouldn't be too difficult modifying the AI to protect the king/hero better (e.g. garrison it in a building, keep many units nearby for protection, always give protecting the king/hero priority). Fixing #5 on my list would also be of benefit for this mode.

Again, AI is always likely to lag behind a bit with new features.

9. I'd also like to thank you for you hard work on the game!

You're welcome! A big part of why we do this is so that people can enjoy the game :)

• Like 1

An awesome idea:  A Training area.

For each faction, it would look basically the same.  six, person sized wooden poles.  When citizen-soldiers are tasked on it (6 max) they run through combat animations against the pole.  They very slowly gain xp (a lot slower than in actual combat).

This is balanced, because it's a choice that the player has to make to set those potential resources gatherers aside for potential defence, because we all know that the higher in xp, the worse at collecting.  So the player can potentially sacrifice econ for a better military.

I think this would be an amazing, and I believe quite easy (even for the Art.  If someone else could texture it, I could make it.)

Oohh! Something else.

Maybe we could make forests walk through-able.  But units are pulled out of formation and are slowed, maybe even certain unit types are invisible to enemies when in forests.  And this might also help the pathfinder, which does get hung up on individual trees, not to mention forests.

4 hours ago, SeleucidKing said:

Oohh! Something else.

Maybe we could make forests walk through-able.  But units are pulled out of formation and are slowed, maybe even certain unit types are invisible to enemies when in forests.  And this might also help the pathfinder, which does get hung up on individual trees, not to mention forests.

This is achieved in 0 A.D. Delenda Est with Forest Groves. I had feeling that give each and every tree a aura would be a little too much so I came up with grove of tree which is 1 object that is a collection of 25 or 30 trees and 5000 wood instead of 1 tree for 200 wood. So, the map would have dozens of groves insead of hundreds of trees. Inside the grove any unit wth class "guerilla" gets +10% attack. I was think of making siege get -50% speed inside the grove too. Tree and Grove are both passable. Helps pathfinder and doesn't look bad at all. Work pretty good.

Another idea is to allow buildings to be built on some object, like trees. This help the player and AI so they can ignore individual trees that aggravate builkding placement. Have flag in entities something like <CanBeBuiltOn/> or <BuildOver>true</BuildOver> in straggler tree and in some eyecandy objects like fences. This way we can have this flag for individual tree but turn the flag off for groves. In-game, the tree (or other BuildOver objcect) would turn red when you wave the building placement over it to let you know it will be destroy when you place building there. Maybe help when AI finally be able to build walls?

btw -- actor-only thing like little bushes and grass need to disappear too when place building. This is missing feature too I notice when I play other game like Age of Mythologie.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Interesting concept,  I will try your mod when the next alpha come.

Maybe it should be implemented in the general game, individual trees could be still placed (for decoration or like those near CC). If you want choke points like Black Forest AOE II, special grooves could be designed for blocking obstruction.

Maybe cav could also get a "malus" (:P) in your forest grooves

1 minute ago, av93 said:

Maybe cav could also get a "malus" (:P) in your forest grooves

Such attack penalty can make sense, but right now cav are underpower because of lack of charging and running features. But, in DE try to hack around this 2 ways:

I give cav (and eles) a trample "aura" and I mod the Wedge formation for faster speed. So now cav have a "run" formation they can use that infantry cannot use. (y)

• Like 2

IRC, with formations you not only can change animations, also you could add more stats, right? Then, this could be a workaround for giving some utility to cav meanwhile there's no run/charge system. BTW, "charging" in this way should have a penalty (cause then there's no sense in having cav in default stance...)

Edited by av93

10 hours ago, av93 said:

IRC, with formations you not only can change animations, also you could add more stats, right? Then, this could be a workaround for giving some utility to cav meanwhile there's no run/charge system. BTW, "charging" in this way should have a penalty (cause then there's no sense in having cav in default stance...)

Cannot change stats with formations. Only thing the formation schema allow is for speed change.

Hello.

I apologize in advance for my English. I have some ideas that could be used in your production, not to be in the form of questions because I am not sure all the information about the game. If anyone had a similar idea I apologize.

1. Is the game will have more periods of development, for example. Renaissance and Modern Age, if so sorry for the hassle.
2. More civilizations to choose from.
3. Some campaigns feature embedded in the history, eg.: Persian, German, American and Chinese in that each set in a different time.

Thank you for listening to my ideas, I hope that any of you will fall to your taste, because as a child I played the famous game Empire Earth has become increasingly bardzij began to assail me underestimated the level of graphics and more. I am very positive about your production, but if it will be based solely on the ancient times, I must admit that I would be disappointed.

Good luck in your work and have a nice day. :)

• Like 1

• Stan` featured this topic