Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

There is a minor historical inaccuracy with the Spartan women; they never did any menial labour (construction, farming, etc.) since they had helots to do it for them. Probably we could rename them into helots or peroikoi and remove the attack ability that the Spartan women have.

Why you suggest to removed women's attack. The helots are fine suggestion.

Female helots would not have the athletic and combat training that the female spartan citizens would have had. This makes them similar to the females of the other factions.

I get now, you are speaking of female helots not Spartan females. But and if healots are male?

There is already the peroikoi spearmen for that purpose, though basic male workers could make the Spartan faction unique (and make it the only fully male faction).

There is a minor historical inaccuracy with the Spartan women; they never did any menial labour (construction, farming, etc.) since they had helots to do it for them. Probably we could rename them into helots or peroikoi and remove the attack ability that the Spartan women have.

I didn't know about Helots, but you're right. This vision of this game on genders is a bit too Roman (that culture stayed the same during many centuries in Europe). In Celtic cultures, there seemed to be not a lot of differences between men and women. Women could also be chief, just as men. While the only females are female citizens and Boudicca.

Certainly a female variation of the druid would be nice (http://www.unc.edu/celtic/catalogue/femdruids/). But there were also female horseback riders, and other female warriors (http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/archaeology/department/publications/PDF%20Theses/Mike%20Adamson.pdf). As the civilisation seemed to be mostly equally divided, it would be good to have random female variations of the different citizen soldier units. Having separate units s.a. tha Maurian maidens shouldn't be needed I think.

• Like 1

i'd say a male majority among soldier classes in-game is an acceptable break from historicity. i think it would be unnecessarily complicated to add in new female versions of all the units for regular gameplay. maybe there could be female versions of some citizen-soldiers as editor-only units, but throwing them in for regular one-on-one gameplay seems like a bit much. besides, there's already some other breaks from historicity, like the Celts getting proper walls rather than earthen ramparts like they were originally planned

I don't mean to add new units, just female looking actors for existing units. The actors are picked randomly (so you have some variation in clothes and hair color), but for some units, gender in't important, so you could also have a female actor for it. I agree with the walls part, the problem is that walls for other factions are mostly symmetrical, while such ramparts are extremely assymetric. I think walls should be assymetric (there's always a side of the wall with entrances etc), but not everybody agrees.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I propose:

1)To insert the button "Explore" to make automatically explore the map to an unity, as in Rise of nations. (wiev image)post-14925-0-58840100-1370872966_thumb.j

2) To insert Thebans civilization;

3)To insert for the Romans the tecnology "Mario's Reform" what it allow to create "legion" and "centurio" units. It's a 107-104 b.C. reform, whit the removal of hastati, principes and triarii.

4)To denominate the roman "Municipium", "Forum", and the roman "Forum", "Mercatus";

5)To use, where known, terms Basque for the Iberian units and buildings;

6)To insert a blacksmith!

Thank you for the consideration! :)

Edited by Iskandar

Welcome , this is technical forum for developers. But is nice you take time to make some feedback.

1planned but not implement yet. See button section

2 the bans are not playable yet.

3 in second part. Not for now. If you seek Roman design are roman between Punic wars.

6 are already a blacksmith for almost civilization in Svn version of the game. but when release you can play with that.

Have nice day.

Hi! I propose:

1)To insert the button "Explore" to make automatically explore the map to an unity, as in Rise of nations. (wiev image)post-14925-0-58840100-1370872966_thumb.j

This generally debated amongst the team. Some are for it, some against.
2) To insert Thebans civilization;
Might add them as a scenario-only faction.
3)To insert for the Romans the tecnology "Mario's Reform" what it allow to create "legion" and "centurio" units. It's a 107-104 b.C. reform, whit the removal of hastati, principes and triarii.

We'll have to see. :) I've had the idea to do this for a long time now. Kind of like "Ragnarok" in Age of Mythology--would turn all the Roman player's citizen-soldiers into Marian Legions.

4)To denominate the roman "Municipium", "Forum", and the roman "Forum", "Mercatus";

On it.

Market:

<Identity>
<Civ>rome</Civ>
<SpecificName>Mercatus</SpecificName>
<History>Rome had many markets, each specialized in the commerce of different goods and services. The Forum Vinarium sold wine, while the Forum Holitorium sold vegetables, and the Forum Boarium dealt with the buying and selling of cattle. The Forum Cuppedinis was known to have had a wide selection of goods. Markets were also known as "macella" (sing: macellum), where trade and money lending took place.</History>
</Identity>

Civic Center:

<Identity>
<Civ>rome</Civ>
<SpecificName>Forum</SpecificName>
<History>A Roman forum was the center of a city's commercial and public life. The most famous of which was in Rome herself, the Forum Romanum.</History>
</Identity>

5)To use, where known, terms Basque for the Iberian units and buildings;
Still debating this. It is disputed whether Basque is related to ancient Iberian languages at all. But I guess Basque would be better than Spanish.
6)To insert a blacksmith!
Coming for Alpha 14! They won't look pretty though (not yet, still need models), but they'll be there. (y)

Perfect, Mithos! Nevertheless Ragnarock-style doesn't convince me, because in possible maps with the Roman localized after the 100 b.C. the use of Roman hastates, velites and triarii it is inaccurate... for example in a maps on the Gallic wars with Caesar, or in the battle of Azio between Augustus and Marc Antony andwith Cleopatra. In this maps it's better to allow the creation of post-marian legion unit. Therefore I thought about the technology "Mario's Reform" which developed it produces these effects:

1)Hastates develops in Legionarius @#$% gladio (with sword) (existant unit in the game);

2)Velites develops in Legionarius @#$% pilo (with pilum) (to be create);

3)Triarii develops in Legionarius @#$% hasta (with lance) (to be create);

4)With Extraordinarii and eques consolares, it's allowed the creation of the centurion (existant unit in game);

Now, I know that the upgrade of units is not admitted in 0 A.D., but for the Romans the historical period of reference asks for an exception, because there has been an important military reform in the period of localization of the game (500 B.C - 0 A.D.) In alterative, we must create a faction ad hoc, the Slow-republican Romans.

Edited by Iskandar

I seem to have missed the discussion on female variations for the Celtic civ warriors/druids but I agree that we should add those. It wouldn't be that much work, I think, and will set the Celtic civs apart in their look (even though it probably won't be very noticeable).

• Like 1

I think when we or they Finish all other "Art Task" , can priority that, but is important remember that, i agree with you and is important open a ticket to dont forget that, a discuss about that matter: the female role in all Civilization in the game.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

The forum seems to have mistaken some of the words you used for cursewords (or whatever you call them in English).

With my little knowledge of Latin I would say that words is '@#$%' (checking whether the forum replaces this word ...)

EDIT: yup

the original must have been:

1)Hastates develops in Legionarius c-u-m gladio (with sword) (existant unit in the game);

2)Velites develops in Legionarius c-u-m pilo (with pilum) (to be create);

3)Triarii develops in Legionarius c-u-m hasta (with lance) (to be create);

Edited by idanwin

I don't know if it causes any extra issues or is any hard, but I'd like support for other locales than just en_US.

The game won't start up unless your $locale output looks like this:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

LANGUAGE=en

LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8

LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8

LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8

LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8

LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8

LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8

LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8

LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8

LC_ALL=

personally, i would really appreciate an "Explore" function; it would help with macromanagement, so that the player doesn't have to be constantly checking on their scouts or even give them multiple commands for where they want them to go and therefore be able to devote more time to building their economy or training an army

personally, i would really appreciate an "Explore" function; it would help with macromanagement, so that the player doesn't have to be constantly checking on their scouts or even give them multiple commands for where they want them to go and therefore be able to devote more time to building their economy or training an army

I'm personally against an explore button, simply because we don't need it. It's not hard for a weak player to queue up a few movement commands on the minimap, while a strong player will usually want to be constantly checking on their scouts and scouting more intelligently than an Explore button could.

• Stan` featured this topic