Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

I remember in Age of Empires III there was a little tab in the corner of the unit stats that when pressed would reveal a unit description. Underneath this in-game unit description was a brief yet historically accurate description and context.

Could we perhaps implement this here? I loved how I could read through unit descriptions if a game was running a bit slow, and it could be useful in teaching our audience a thing or two.

I remember in Age of Empires III there was a little tab in the corner of the unit stats that when pressed would reveal a unit description. Underneath this in-game unit description was a brief yet historically accurate description and context.

Could we perhaps implement this here? I loved how I could read through unit descriptions if a game was running a bit slow, and it could be useful in teaching our audience a thing or two.

It's more or less just the location/GUI design and implementation that's needed and we'll have that :) The history texts are already written for most units/buildings, and iirc already in the XML files (the exact details of that might have to change when we implement translation as the text might have to be saved separately from the rest of the unit data depending on how the system works, but that's just moving the text from one file to another so it shouldn't be too much of a difference =) ).
  • Like 1

The Mauryan Elephant is stronger as the Carthaginian Elephant, but I think it's not correct. Because the Mauryans use Asian elephants and the Carthaginians use African Elephants. The African elephant is bigger,and I think also stronger. I hope this is going to be changed

The Mauryan Elephant is stronger as the Carthaginian Elephant, but I think it's not correct. Because the Mauryans use Asian elephants and the Carthaginians use African Elephants. The African elephant is bigger,and I think also stronger. I hope this is going to be changed

You are incorrect in a way you wouldn't expect. Carthage used North African Forest Elephants, which are a smaller sub-species of the African Bush Elephant and are now extinct. Asian/Indian elephants were indeed bigger than the NAF Elephant, about halfway between the NAF Elephant and African Bush Elephant in size.

The NAF Elephant would have been about the size of the right elephant in this chart, while the Asian Elephant is slightly bigger than the mammoth in this chart:

mastsize.gif

You are incorrect in a way you wouldn't expect. Carthage used North African Forest Elephants, which are a smaller sub-species of the African Bush Elephant and are now extinct. Asian/Indian elephants were indeed bigger than the NAF Elephant, about halfway between the NAF Elephant and African Bush Elephant in size.

The NAF Elephant would have been about the size of the right elephant in this chart, while the Asian Elephant is slightly bigger than the mammoth in this chart:

mastsize.gif

What the hell! I thought wolly mammoths were way bigger than modern AEs.

Edited by lilstewie

Hey, I've thoroughly enjoyed every release so far and have made a couple of donations. I just wanted to request a feature though... Could you add an all AI gameplay mode? Right now I can select the first player slot but can't change it to AI. I think it would be useful for testing AI in the future. I'm aware I can just delete all my units and buildings at the start but it means having to use an extra player slot. Thanks!

Try starting the game with -autostart=MAPNAME -autostart-ai=PLAYERNUMBER:BOTNAME -autostart-ai=PLAYERNUMBER:BOTNAME. (replacing the stuff in all caps with the map and bot you want)

Example:

0ad -autostart="Oasis 01" -autostart-ai=1:qbot -autostart-ai=2:qbot-wc

For more options please read the readme.txt.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this will be a challenge to integrate, but it would be a excellent feature to have a first-person sandbox environment like Skyrim. The player would be able to experience the world he creates. Entire missions could be created from the "Age of Empires" interface for the "Skyrim" interface to complete such as targeting leaders, spying on forces, etc. Some features could be adopted from other source code games like AssaultCube. It would make the game much more memorable and extraordinary. This by the way was not my idea: http://imgur.com/kdQk5O6 .

TL; DR Make 0 A.D. have a Skyrim gameplay feature.

i'd argue against that; it's micromanaging (even if you only have to do one thing) and would take away a basic feature of RTS games that anyone who will want to play 0ad is already intimately familiar with. the idea behind the fog of war is that you know that region exists but just have no current knowledge about it, e.g. that the non-current knowledge stems from the oral tradition. "Oh, there are vast forests in this area, and endless herds!" "Huh? Where are all the trees, and the deer? My great-grandpa lied to me!"

I'll give a global opinion in this very topic.

There's no need to make a plenty of civilizations at the moment - first make two and polish the balance. The game is not a museum, it should give some useful skills for a player. Moreover, remember 'Age of Empires' when it was all about difference in unit skins - each nation mostly had the same unit system, so the winner was the quickest one to develop. The game should give a variety of tactical movements made with different unit sets so the big amount of siege catapults won't be a pledge of victory.

Add game speed option, e.g.: normal - fast - fastest.

Add volume regulators. All the options set in CFG files GUI should have.

Smoothen animations, enrich textures.

Add server search table with filters, there shouldn't be only Direct IP connection.

Add option to turn off unit sounds. There's an awful ship sound for now.

Something should be made with large amounts of units. The game is laggy with them.

Resolution and windowed mode.

On my computer i have two screens i am running linux mint 14 and not both screens are the same size, when i play 0ad i cant change the resolution so the game is only on one screen rather than two.

This can become annoying because in game if my monitor is positioned too high i cant see the bottom of the screen, meaning some of the bottom bar is not usable.

When i set the screen lower i cant move the mouse to the top of the screen in some on my second monitor because the screen resolution is lower than what my first screen is setting the game to.

Alt-tab and steam popups. since the arrival of steam to linux i have been using it. however when in-game and my steam tells me something the game freezes.

When its frozen the camera resets to my starting village until the steam message is gone, the camera resumes its position.

I cant alt-tab out of this game in linux. its the only game i cant do that with. and i listen to audiobooks while playing 0ad.

Sometimes i need to pause the game and the audio book and do something but i can't pause the audiobook because i cant alt-tab and i miss bits. its frustrating.

I am using the current version of the linux mint 14 repo. sep 17-12 12636-version

edit - I almost forgot, this game needs a server and a lobby where you can find games, along side the current system.

Edited by dablackfox

• Stan` featured this topic