Suggestions for 0 A.D.

Wijitmaker

How about giving each AI a seperate thread. That would be easier to implement than do make the entire game multi threaded first, so each AI would have their own thread and wont slow down the game than.

Wouldnt it be faster to use AI profiling like for chessmaster instead of relying on pathfinding? I also find that the AI doesnt stop to attack my defences and proceed to the town centre which makes the game too easy.

How about giving each AI a seperate thread. That would be easier to implement than do make the entire game multi threaded first, so each AI would have their own thread and wont slow down the game than.

But the rest of the code base must be thread safe first IIRC took 6 months to get the vegastrike code base ready for multi-thread and we are still finding bugs from that refactor 3 years later.

Enjoy the Choice :)

how hard can it be to have the AI engine running on a seperate thread? i know js doesnt provide the capability natively and having the game engine running independently of the AI. It may mean a fast game but slow AI response. Although i'd really like to help with development i currently have my hands full for the next few months.

Dunno if this is the right place for simple bug reports or feature requests, but I'll give it a try.

First, bug report: the multi-player game setup lets you click on the civilization i-in-a-circle icon to see the special buildings and units and such for each civilization. Some civilizations have more information than the current window design can handle -- a scroll bar would be very helpful.

Second, feature request: it should be possible to bring up that special buildings/units/etc information by clicking on the faction icon at the top center of the GUI.

My girlfriend and I enjoy playing the game immensely. I watch the github repo and rebuild from git when interesting changes come through -- the most recent being the trader nerfing. That's been our favorite "easy mode" feature so it will be fun to change our gameplay to accommodate the modifications.

Thanks for listening. Let me know if there's a proper place for specific reports or requests like these, and I'll do it up right.

Jack.

Second, feature request: it should be possible to bring up that special buildings/units/etc information by clicking on the faction icon at the top center of the GUI.

Agreed completely here.

My girlfriend and I enjoy playing the game immensely. I watch the github repo and rebuild from git when interesting changes come through -- the most recent being the trader nerfing. That's been our favorite "easy mode" feature so it will be fun to change our gameplay to accommodate the modifications.

I personally feel the traders were nerfed way too much.

Agreed completely here.

I personally feel the traders were nerfed way too much.

A longish trade route will now have about 0.8 times the income of farmers or woodcutters based on some quick tests (without foreign trade bonus). Before it was massively overpowered. It would be interesting to have players experiences once people have played a few games with nerfed trade.

Traders were too powerful. Pre-nerf, once I got two markets set up to give 8 resources per trade, I'd just kill off all my women and replace them w/5 carts of each resource. The income was incredibly fast, as I would get resources at each stop. Plus, I could build it inside my city making my economy immune to harassment. (Since carts can trade with docks, on maps with water, it was cheaper to build one dock and one market.)

Used to be, the time a trading cart took to get 8 units of resource in trade was as long as the time it took a woman to farm 8 units of food. When you factor in the the additional time it takes for her to drop off the food and return to harvesting, trading was actually faster. In fact, I think any trading distance higher than 8 units (since trade value grew exponentially) used to be faster than gathering (and the further away, the faster it would be.) The only thing was you had to make a large investment and wait longer between payments.

I'll see if I can't figure out where that balance lies now.

[EDIT]Yeah, did the math, did a quick and dirty test too. Looks like trade with yourself now breaks even with gathering when the trade route value is 40 resources. When you consider that the farmer will have to make 4 trips to the mill and back to boot, trading becomes slightly faster. Trading with a foreign power at that same distance has a value of 70 resources per cart though :/ So it's slower than trading with yourself and slower than gathering. (because you get resources at each end, remember?)

We might want to raise the value of INTERNATIONAL_TRADING_ADDITION if we want trade with other players to be a more attractive alternative to gathering.

I've also discovered an interesting bug with traders, I'll look into it more, then post a ticket.

Edited by gudo

(since trade value grew exponentially)

Trade value has never been exponential. The amount of resources gained is quadratic compared to distance. Since increases the distance increases the time taken linearly (twice as far twice the time to walk) this means that trade income rate grows linearly with distance (income rate = resources gained / time). So if you put your market 5 times as far away you will get 5 times as many resources over the same time period.

Air Units ? like Gryphons and Dragons in Warcraft 2 would be really nice, also offensive mages would be nice rather than a healer alone.

I think this game tries to go for historical accuracy. I am unaware of Gryphon or dragon skeletons being found, or used by the armies represented in this game :) I believe some birds will be added at some point in time, but those are just scenery / fauna.

Healers can convert enemy units, at the least this functionality is planned. It is perhaps not as spectacular compared to mages, but more realistic.

Air Units ? like Gryphons and Dragons in Warcraft 2 would be really nice, also offensive mages would be nice rather than a healer alone.

iirc, there are some historical instances of "air units" in some cultures. the only one that comes to mind is kites used by the ancient chinese, though. but conceivably, just for scenario design, there could be a few air units to give precedent for future mods

personally, the way i think flying units could work best would be that they aren't affected by most obstructions (walls, trees, etc) and terrain (including otherwise impassable cliffs or water), are more susceptible to changes in weather (such as wind or rain), and can only be attacked by ranged units. technically, theyre on the ground, but dont abide by the normal rules of land units

• 3 weeks later...

i would love to make some little suggestions

1. Alarm button for citziens - so i can brim them into safety
  2. It would be nice to actually see soldiers in the towers if i garnisoned them there
  3. animal farms are useless if i have to pay 50 food to gain 100 food - the Difference is to small
  4. if soldiers and citziens are marked together, a button is needed so can divided easily

I kinda agree with TheProject - at least in the early phases of the game, spending 500 food to get 10 sheep and gain 1000 food down the line is not the best payoff since I then spend the food I would otherwise have spent on females gathering from farms or soldiers gathering wood for the farms. And I constantly have to make sure there are sheep around, while farms deplete rarely and if they do it's much easier to see at a glance, so I find it much easier to rely on farms.

As has been said elsewhere in the forums ( http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16389 ) it's mostly a temporary effect until we have proper corral behaviour implemented. Also, the gather rate for the sheep is greater and because of that they should be a great way to gather food quickly in the beginning of the game :) (Especially since you then should have time to create new sheep etc, later in the game when you have more units to keep track of etc it's definitely easier to rely on farms/trade for your resource gathering :) )

• Stan` featured this topic