===[COMMITTED]=== Iberian Barracks

Stan`

Romulous, the iberian faction is one of the most historically correct factions designed in our game from architectural to texture design based in a lot of references like the last ones Lion posted. We also need some consistency between structure layouts for the player to recognize each structure function without the need of selecting it to see what is it. If you don't like the fact that it looks similar to aoe, sincerely you're not going to like 0AD at all... And saying that it should look more unique without giving any reference, post or valid suggestion doesn't help at all.

Regarding the current WIP model... It's not looking right to me at the moment. It doesn't have the organic feel that I get from LordGood's concept. Take a look at the iberian fortress to get a hint.

• Like 3

Ahm, anyway stanislas

you're doing good, just cut those corners a little sharp while you were straightening out the walls, sand them into roundness again and it should be much better

and of course a little entropy in detail is welcome :)

see how it looks if you make the buttresses the same texture as the stone at the base and have them taper in a little bit, like on the towers and castle.

Romulous, the iberian faction is one of the most historically correct factions designed in our game from architectural to texture design based in a lot of references like the last ones Lion posted. We also need some consistency between structure layouts for the player to recognize each structure function without the need of selecting it to see what is it. If you don't like the fact that it looks similar to aoe, sincerely you're not going to like 0AD at all... And saying that it should look more unique without giving any reference, post or valid suggestion doesn't help at all.

Regarding the current WIP model... It's not looking right to me at the moment. It doesn't have the organic feel that I get from LordGood's concept. Take a look at the iberian fortress to get a hint.

its true, most I was found its impossible to refute, even if I search with every word can mean a Iberian tribe only can found the same. (Except Celtiberians ). All ways conduces to here. But I found little of this basic buildings are in my culture too. XD Spanish don't lost all their Iberian linage in architecture meaning.

If you don't like the fact that it looks similar to aoe, sincerely you're not going to like 0AD at all... And saying that it should look more unique without giving any reference, post or valid suggestion doesn't help at all.

On the contrary. I love 0 A.D. very much. The point you missed however, is that why can't the barracks in this game be of different design than copied from other RTS games?

Regards to references, if you scroll up and read my previous post I did mention something about that :)

Barracks all looks square and fortified because they are. They all look the same because we have no better idea of what a barracks looks like.

Yes I know they square, I'm not saying they should be triangles....

Look how lovely the Roman barracks is..... It's square but does not have that standard AoE shape. Why a bit of that elegance with in this case the Iberian architecture be implemented in uniquely designing something like the Romans with a bit more organic features and with an Iberian vibe to it?

Edited by Romulous

Ahm, anyway stanislas

you're doing good, just cut those corners a little sharp while you were straightening out the walls, sand them into roundness again and it should be much better

and of course a little entropy in detail is welcome :)

see how it looks if you make the buttresses the same texture as the stone at the base and have them taper in a little bit, like on the towers and castle.

1388847700-barracksv13.jpg

Textures are not perfect, I know. Your little fight was quite funny. I've been busy fixing some lost vertices in the model. If you plan to change the reference again tell me, so that i do other things ;)

So what did i change here :

- Rounded the walls

- Removed some planks and rotated them,

- Reduce the length of the thing going down from the roof

- Aligned vertices

- Remade the foundations (Texture not done yet)

- Changed the texture of the buttresses

- Removed the shiny pretty whatever texture

Before someone asks, I never put props before finishing the base, because i'm constantly changing them from space.

You have a couple more corners to smooth out, try to soften around the windows doors and corners of the main building too

I'm sorry if i commented after you started placing props

I didn't, it's far from finished. ;)

also, can we see the back?

Sure. =)

1388931105-barracksv13-2.jpg

1388931105-barracksv13-3.jpg

What software are you rendering in? I don't like your lighting setting, I find it quite unrepresentative of how the building will look in-game.

I think your wooden planks on the side look weird. Too regular when I'd expect them not to be nearly that much. Also there's no apparent fixation for them, which seems a little off to me.

• Like 1

What software are you rendering in? I don't like your lighting setting, I find it quite unrepresentative of how the building will look in-game.

Sorry bout' that Wraiti. Its 3dsmax with a direct light and a skylight. I don't like the basic render, feels, well too plastic

1388938532-barracksv13-4.jpg

1388938532-barracksv13-5.jpg

I think your wooden planks on the side look weird. Too regular when I'd expect them not to be nearly that much. Also there's no apparent fixation for them, which seems a little off to me.

I know, i'm not satisfied with the roof either, just trying to keep on with the reference

• Like 1

stanislas: no problem, it's just that if you were in Blender I could have given you a few pointers on how to improve it quickly.

I'm not really fond of blender, maybe because I started with 3ds but anyway I have the latest version installed so I could make my renders in it if that is better ;)

It's just that I know Blender (I can understand not wanting to use it if you're not used to it though) and there are easy settings to set environmental lighting and ambient occlusion, which looks a lot more natural? 3DS Max might have those too, no idea.

Yup it has, I don't know how to use them correctly though, I have an old elephorm tutorial somewhere, may have something interesting in it. Also this is the first time my models may go in something,

I made a lot of buildings a long time ago for a mod. Never had to bake anything for them though, that's why i never had to learn about that.