niektb

In that case we need placer foundations first (premade foundations on which you can only build a certain building aka trading posts in AOE3.

I created some kind of storehouse using existing props and eye-candy only in Atlas, suggestions for improvements?

ViKhsQa.png
Edited by niektb
  • Like 1

I was wondering if it was from the game :)

It's nice. Maybe change that box texture... I don't like it. Now maybe we should make pavements. like this

post-12287-0-25829600-1397241178_thumb.p

Note : This is from the Settlers 5 BBa demo archives. I do not own it :) though I have it on 3dsmax.

Edited by stanislas69

What about....Making four buildings the same and giving a bonus to the player if the big fort is complete ?

We could keep track of it with a variable for each building. E.g. each building has a callback function that is called if a certain amount of them is build within a certain range (settings in XML or JSON file)?

The callback function could then do anything we want. E.g. research a tech, add 100 elite units. Add a hero. Free other building, change heightmap values, ... anything JavaScript has access to. (Sander said, we could even change the pathfinder - even triggered, e.g. a trigger could make your unit a ghost that can go through walls and all objects. :).)

@Stan: Cool, could you reconstruct it?

@Niek: Looks nice too, we also have markets that could be partly reused. (extract a tent e.g.).

Edited by Hephaestion

It was a standard dirt decal, couldn't find any better.

Yeah I know. But we are to improve the game we are modders :)

We could keep track of it with a variable for each building. E.g. each building has a callback function that is called if a certain amount of them is build within a certain range (settings in XML or JSON file)?

The callback function could then do anything we want. E.g. research a tech, add 100 elite units. Add a hero. Free other building, change heightmap values, ... anything JavaScript has access to. (Sander said, we could even change the pathfinder - even triggered, e.g. a trigger could make your unit a ghost that can go through walls and all objects. :).)

I knew you would come up with something. :)

You could use CTRL+SPACE to show the axes. Then you can see the props orientation offset (in relation to the bone the proppoint is parented to)

I knew you would come up with something. :)

@Stan: You are sparking ideas, you're the rocket. I'm just the servant.

Edited by Hephaestion

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

as a frequent player of 0AD i like this mod very much, since i am not a graphic designer, and never tried programming in 0AD,

i like to donate some knowledge/facts/findings i found after reading here on the interweb.

Took me a few hours of research, so i hope it helps.

I forgot to safe all the links where i found the info, but some are present. It only lacks pictures.. sorry...

I researched in English, Dutch and bit in Danish.

I have a Danish friend, and i will try to get him to help out here if possible, maybe translate things? or send him to a museum and make some pictures for us? :-) bet he likes it!

I have talked with him about vikings before, so should be easy to convince to help. besides he owes me... ;-)

Suggestions are welcome, i will contact him shortly.

The hurstwic site has lots of info, mostly on Icelandic Vikings, but the writer is a master in bad copy and paste too...

Look for instance at the "sel" part in the book from William R. Short and hurstwick site ...

I double checked all facts, hope it's accurate. (i am convinced it is, but i am only human too...)

Longhouse: i agree there should be a low stone base. (i am convinced after reading about them, and looking at many pictures) It's logical else the wood would rot away really fast...

Sel (farm/shed): A small shed/farmhouse this could replace the farmstead with maybe as "technology" making skyr and/or inventing partially buried vats (like fridges!) to store products such as skyr.
Also meat and fish were preserved by smoking. While some excavated Viking-age farms appear to have had dedicated smokehouses.

"In the summer months, livestock was driven to pastures at higher elevations, called sel (shieling). During this time, from mid-June through mid-October, most of the livestock were left to forage freely, while milk cows and ewes were kept close so they could be milked every day.

The raw milk from the animals was collected and processed in a shed on site, where the farm family, or their hired hands, lived during the summer while they tended the livestock."

from Icelanders in the Viking Age: The People of the Sagas Door William R. Short

corral : Vikings build smaller versions of the longhouse as a shelter for there cows, so corrals should produce cows and look a bit like longhouses. (Are there even cows in 0AD? Eh, not black and white ones ;-) )

tún (Hay the home field near the farm) : cos Cows need lots of hay, maybe making a hay field (like the crops groing fields) ould be nice.

"Over two tonnes (2 tons) of hay was needed for each cow to last the Icelandic winter. A large farm in Viking age Iceland had around 20 to 40 milk cows, so harvesting and storing sufficient hay to last the winter was an arduous but important task. Studies of several Viking era farms in north Iceland suggest that farms could produce between 0.5 and 0.9 tonnes of hay per hectare (0.22 - 0.44 tons/acre) in good years. These figures imply that large farms required 20 to 80 hectares (50 to 200 acres) of land set aside for hay cultivation to keep their livestock over the winter."

Horses: Horses were raised, not only for their utility for travel and transport, but also because their meat was prized. So a trader should be part of the vikings civ. They also had carts with 4 wheels pulled by hoses. Maybe use horses as technology instead of wheelborrows? They also used them to transport the hay.

Knarr/Fishing boats: Along coastal regions, and near rivers and lakes, fish were a staple part of the diet. Fish were caught with hook and line from small boats. So we need them!

Viking house (small picture) : Inspiration for maybe the "sel". Although i found also that the could be (round) stone half burried houses. <great pics!)

smedje/blacksmith : picture (finally found one!)

females : Literary evidence suggests that women wore their hair long. When Hallgerður met Gunnar in chapter 33 of Brennu-Njáls saga, she is said to have thick, fair hair that came down to her breasts. In addition, the medieval lawbook Grágás (K254) prohibited women from wearing their hair short, one of several masculine traits that was specifically forbidden by the laws.
from Hurstwick

general food info: (to keep in mind when making maps) The best available guess is that Norse people primarily ate agricultural products raised on their own farms: meat from cattle, sheep, horses, pigs, goats, and poultry; cereals, such as barley, rye, oats, and (rarely) wheat; dairy produce, such as milk from cows, sheep, or goats, as well as cheese and butter; vegetables, such as peas, beans, cabbage, onions, and an assortment of herbs; and wild fruits, such as apples, pears, cherries, and berries and hunted deer, bear, boar, and elk, as well as smaller game such as rabbits.

from Hurstwick

Fun: The great auk (Pinguinus), a large, meaty, flightless bird now extinct, was an important part of the diet in Viking-age Iceland, based on excavated bones. lets go tux hunting! :-P

Runes : The writen viking language

Village/fortress: (link to vikingeborgen-trelleborg museum) According to law it as specified how a fortress was suppose to be build. (notice the stone fundements of the longhouses)

Vikingecenter Fyrkat museum is on Google maps! Take a tour!

Ribe vikingecenter museum take the tour, is in english to.

Thats all for now folks...

If any research need doing let me know!

ps Niektd groeten uit Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum ;-)

(edit: added more links for reference)

Edited by Julius Civilis

I forgot, all vikings bring there own knife to eat, so every viking should at least have a big knife. Maybe even the woman?

Most fought with an axe, some had swords, spears where also used. Bow and arrow also.

Metal armour was an expensive upgrade.

Markets : Vital to vikings, they where tents here everything was sold. Ribe vikingecenter museum has one.

So maybe the market should consised of a few tents. With small stalls with the goods. nice pics here

More pictures from rosala-viking-centre

lots of pictures here

;-) sorry the W key sometimes doesnt work

Edited by Julius Civilis

Awesome link, comrad.

We have something like that for Celtic tribes close to us, very close just next our meadows 2km away. Really interesting. They always threaten to eat our holiday kids .. such kind of rough people, huh? Instead they finally baked old bread for us ontop the fire .. I think we have a lot of awesome features to add here.

I wish I had more talent and I would try to push our viking civ forward. I really like this Age, actually I will add knights to this our mod. I will try to make armour a prop. Might be difficult but should work .. then our prop demolition system could make knights' armour splash away when crashing with another knight.

Also what we definitely need is a kind of knights' tournament. Always wanted to add this in the web when I still had active middleearth fellowship. but well. I wish they arrive here in 0AD soon. Now that internationlisation is in chances are high that 0AD spreads.

We need to get our modding structure settled soon. we need our tools finished. Have to work all night.

I wanted to discuss the needed buildings for the Vikings.

At start the player begins with a longhouse rather than a CC, this building is able to train the basic viking swordsmen and female citizens. Also it functions as a dropsite for food and wood only. The Civic Center comes available during the second phase and is merged with the Fortress which building is called "Jarl's Hold". The Vikings have no stone walls and no stone defense tower, but stronger reinforced pallisades and a stronger outpost.

I want to discuss the need for a barrack and a farmstead. Do we need them?

"Typical farm settlements took the form of a central cluster of buildings enclosed by fences. Outside the fenced areas were the fields used for cultivation or grazing. Each homestead typically consisted of a longhouse and multiple out-buildings."

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/Villages.htm

And those out-buildings look rather like a corral:

vk_farmhouse_ribblehead.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primaryhistory/vikings/who_were_the_vikings/teachers_resources.shtml

Edited by niektb