What are reputation points?

Keaton the Wise

What's the name above my profile picture? Mine says "Discens" but I've seen others such as "Triplicarus" and "Fallen Soldier". Does it have something to do with the number of posts someone has made?

Yup, it does. I don't have the exact numbers in my head, but there are different categories, and then after a certain point one can create a custom title :)

How many posts?

It doesn't matter. If you only care about reaching that number you'll most likely not make very good posts, and then they will get deleted, and you will not reach the number anyway ;) I think it's 1,000 or so though, so it's not something you should reach within a month or so, but perhaps rather within a year or so if you're reasonably active :) If you have a title you really want to have you can always just ask us beforehand and we might change it :)

• Like 2

Also, when I put my mouse over the user name of a person and it pops up the little men with basic information on it, sometimes there are little messages. What are they?

When you click on your profile there is a tab to the left that says "Profile feed", there you can add a message which will be displayed there.

And I don't recall anyone asking for an unacceptable title.

Isn't the messages tab for private messages?

It should show that you have received one, but the messages tab is where the message itself is displayed. The notification tab should also display e.g. when someone quotes your post (so this should show up there - as well as in the Notifications dropdown at the top), there are settings for exactly shows up there though. Click on your username in the top bar, then on My Settings, then on Notification Options on the left and choose there what kind of notifications you want to receive for what kind of events.

Do private messages go to my E-mail inbox or is there some sort of "Wildfire Messages" inbox?

As long as the notifications are set that way you get an email to your inbox, but the actual messages are sent to a private message inbox here on the forums. You can access it by clicking on Messenger up right next to the notification icon at the top.